Travel CHICAGO! Tips, restaurants and hotel advice!

Hi guys!
I am planning a trip to Chicago for thanksgiving. What will the general weather be like? Also has anyone stayed at the Four Seasons or the Peninsula? And could you give me some recommendations for an upscale restaurant thats not a pre fixed menu? Thank you!

It's really hard to predict the weather but since you'll be near the lake, I'd plan for cold weather with possible wind.

As I said in my previous reply, I've stayed at the Pen and it's flawless.

Hi everyone!
I am planning a trip to Chicago for 4 days during the week of thanksgiving. Has anyone stayed at the Four Seasons, Peninsula, *****, or Langham? Also do you have any recommendations for an upscale (but not too fancy) restaurant? And any must see places or things to do in the city? Thank you!

the four seasons, ritz carlton (actually a four seasons managed hotel in chicago), and peninsula are really nice

you can try and call to get the university of chicago rate at those hotels and save a lot

langham and ***** are a bit further south, I like the other hotels better

also there are so many good restaurants you can eat anywhere

Hi everyone!
I am planning a trip to Chicago for 4 days during the week of thanksgiving. Has anyone stayed at the Four Seasons, Peninsula, *****, or Langham? Also do you have any recommendations for an upscale (but not too fancy) restaurant? And any must see places or things to do in the city? Thank you!

I stayed at Four Seasons several years ago. Very nice hotel. Connected to 900 North Michigan Shops (Bloomingdale's is main anchor store). Good Sunday brunch too, but expensive. They provided ear plugs at night for noise from wind, and had milk and cookies with a teddy bear for my kids. Nice touches. Speaking of noise keep in mind that Northwestern Memorial Hospital is several blocks away, so you will hear ambulance sirens.

There are lots of very good restaurants in the area with lots of choices, within walking distance and with cabs. Suggest checking out reviews on Tripadvisor and yelp; there're pretty accurate. For something eclectic and fun with reasonably prices, I have read good things about Girl & the Goat and Purple Pig, both located in that area (have not been there).

Things to do - walk down Michigan Ave because it will be lighted for holiday season and see the stores, Millennium Park and the Bean, great museums if like them (Art, Field, Adler Planetarium, Science and Industry), Lincoln Park Zoo is free and will be lighted up I believe Sunday following Thanksgiving, Navy Pier (typically for younger kids since Children museum is located there).

I don't know when you are going during Thanksgiving, but keep in mind that a large annual medical convention at McCormick starts the weekend after Thanksgiving. Make dinner reservations early if you are there at that time.

Weather is cold and windy, especially if you are not accustomed to it and are out walking. Chicagoans are typically in down and wool coats. You are in prime shopping location, easy to buy warmer clothes if needed.

Have a great trip.

I stayed at Four Seasons several years ago. Very nice hotel. Connected to 900 North Michigan Shops (Bloomingdale's is main anchor store). Good Sunday brunch too, but expensive. They provided ear plugs at night for noise from wind, and had milk and cookies with a teddy bear for my kids. Nice touches. Speaking of noise keep in mind that Northwestern Memorial Hospital is several blocks away, so you will hear ambulance sirens.

There are lots of very good restaurants in the area with lots of choices, within walking distance and with cabs. Suggest checking out reviews on Tripadvisor and yelp; there're pretty accurate. For something eclectic and fun with reasonably prices, I have read good things about Girl & the Goat and Purple Pig, both located in that area (have not been there).

Things to do - walk down Michigan Ave because it will be lighted for holiday season and see the stores, Millennium Park and the Bean, great museums if like them (Art, Field, Adler Planetarium, Science and Industry), Lincoln Park Zoo is free and will be lighted up I believe Sunday following Thanksgiving, Navy Pier (typically for younger kids since Children museum is located there).

I don't know when you are going during Thanksgiving, but keep in mind that a large annual medical convention at McCormick starts the weekend after Thanksgiving. Make dinner reservations early if you are there at that time.

Weather is cold and windy, especially if you are not accustomed to it and are out walking. Chicagoans are typically in down and wool coats. You are in prime shopping location, easy to buy warmer clothes if needed.

Have a great trip.
Thank you for all of the help! I will definitely keep all of those factors in mind :smile:

Hey guys!

Going to Chicago this weekend.. Can you guys please let me know what should I pack? I'm thinking big coat, scarf, uggs and hunter boots. Is that too much?? I heard you guys had 50 degree weather last week
Thanks!

Hey guys!

Going to Chicago this weekend.. Can you guys please let me know what should I pack? I'm thinking big coat, scarf, uggs and hunter boots. Is that too much?? I heard you guys had 50 degree weather last week
Thanks!
The coat and uggs are a good pick. The hunter boots are a toss up imo. It will be in the upper 20'-lower 30's maybe a touch of rain/snow. We were supposed to get some snow today but only on/off rain but got a misty rain. Possibly some snow/rain tomorrow. I'm guessing if we get anything a touch of rain. If your feet get cold easily the hunter boots need some thick socks. My feet get cold easily and find that when it's cold out hunters aren't a good choice for me unless it's a lot of rain. But that maybe a non issue for you. Maybe I'm just getting old and that's why I'm so cold [emoji14]. Also gloves, hat, and scarf would be great too. Better to have them and not need them than wish you had them. We've had a pretty warm winter for us but it can be harsh to those not used to the cold/wind.

The coat and uggs are a good pick. The hunter boots are a toss up imo. It will be in the upper 20'-lower 30's maybe a touch of rain/snow. We were supposed to get some snow today but only on/off rain but got a misty rain. Possibly some snow/rain tomorrow. I'm guessing if we get anything a touch of rain. If your feet get cold easily the hunter boots need some thick socks. My feet get cold easily and find that when it's cold out hunters aren't a good choice for me unless it's a lot of rain. But that maybe a non issue for you. Maybe I'm just getting old and that's why I'm so cold [emoji14]. Also gloves, hat, and scarf would be great too. Better to have them and not need them than wish you had them. We've had a pretty warm winter for us but it can be harsh to those not used to the cold/wind.
I second the hat/scarf/glove recommendation! Even when the weather forecast predicts mild temps, the wind is cold! My daughter and I last visited in December so we could go to the Christkindlmarkt and we ended up buying a hat for her because her ears were so cold!