Travel CHICAGO! Tips, restaurants and hotel advice!

Do they still run that tourist shuttle bus from North Michigan Avenue to the Museum Campus down by Grant Park? That was an easy way to see most of the best sites.

Museum of Science and Industry is the only museum that is far away from the downtown area; we always like to visit there.

If you want to be close to the magnificent mile the Talbott is a very nice hotel. I was impressed by their service when I stayed there recently.
Millennium Park would be a nice walk from that area or a very fast bus ride. Shedd aquarium, if I remember correctly, is an easy, direct bus ride on the 146 I think. I would personally skip navy pier. The art institute and the natural history museum are great.

Thank you for the input!!. You would skip Navy Pier?...really. Hmm with a 12 year old?

Do they still run that tourist shuttle bus from North Michigan Avenue to the Museum Campus down by Grant Park? That was an easy way to see most of the best sites.

Museum of Science and Industry is the only museum that is far away from the downtown area; we always like to visit there.

Thank you!. I'll look into it!!

Hey guys,

My bf and I are planning a trip to Chicago late September... I was trying to stay under budget of 500 for 3 nights but looks like the more popular places (Magnificent Mile, Loop, Millennium Park) are out of the budget. If we were to stay in like.. McCormick place or Lincoln park, how far is that from downtown and is there a subway or bus that can take us there? Is traffic bad?

Thanks ladies!

Hey guys,

My bf and I are planning a trip to Chicago late September... I was trying to stay under budget of 500 for 3 nights but looks like the more popular places (Magnificent Mile, Loop, Millennium Park) are out of the budget. If we were to stay in like.. McCormick place or Lincoln park, how far is that from downtown and is there a subway or bus that can take us there? Is traffic bad?

Thanks ladies!

Lincoln Park would be nice but don't stay by McCormick place. Public transportation is pretty good from anywhere in Lincoln park but it would probably be easiest if you are close to an L stop.

Lincoln Park would be nice but don't stay by McCormick place. Public transportation is pretty good from anywhere in Lincoln park but it would probably be easiest if you are close to an L stop.

Thank you! Would you say it isn't hard to go back and fourth from Lincoln Park to downtown? Are there any other locations you think would work for me?

Thank you! Would you say it isn't hard to go back and fourth from Lincoln Park to downtown? Are there any other locations you think would work for me?

Lincoln Park is a convenient location, and depending on where you stay you could be close to the lake which is beautiful or there are many restaurants and shops when you move west as well. Some areas are more residential but anywhere in that neighborhood is safe. The Broadway and Clark buses both run straight downtown. The 151 bus can be a little slow but that also goes by the lake through magnificent mile and downtown. If you stay close to the Fullerton L stop you can take the red line downtown, and the red line runs late at night.

Lakeview is just north of Lincoln Park and would also be nice if you stay close to the lake there are a couple of express buses so it doesn't feel much farther from downtown. It also has a bit more character than Lincoln park.

Hey guys,

Thanks ladies!

Have you looked at river north? Also air BNB might be a good option for you in the river north/Gold Coast area. I agree do not stay at McCormick place.

Lakeview is just north of Lincoln Park and would also be nice if you stay close to the lake there are a couple of express buses so it doesn't feel much farther from downtown. It also has a bit more character than Lincoln park.

Have you looked at river north? Also air BNB might be a good option for you in the river north/Gold Coast area. I agree do not stay at McCormick place.

Thank you for responding ladies! I will look into these locations and check out bus schedules

Hi guys!
I am planning a trip to Chicago for thanksgiving. What will the general weather be like? Also has anyone stayed at the Four Seasons or the Peninsula? And could you give me some recommendations for an upscale restaurant thats not a pre fixed menu? Thank you!

Hi everyone!
I am planning a trip to Chicago for 4 days during the week of thanksgiving. Has anyone stayed at the Four Seasons, Peninsula, *****, or Langham? Also do you have any recommendations for an upscale (but not too fancy) restaurant? And any must see places or things to do in the city? Thank you!

There's a lot of info on Chicago in the Bon Voyage board.

I've stayed at the Peninsula. I can't imagine any hotel being better than the Pen. My personal favorite is the Park Hyatt. It's more low key but very comfortable, service is tops and like the Peninsula, in a great location --right on North Michigan Ave. at the Water Tower. Don't know about the ***** or Langham.

I'm not a foodie so look in the big Chicago thread for restaurants. Spiagga is reportedly Pres. *****'s favorite restaurant in the city.

Go see the Bean (official name is Cloudgate) and have your photo taken in front of it--it mirrors the city.

The museums are world-quality. My favorite is the Art Institute. They have a wonderful collection of Impressionists and paintings that you've seen in art books.

If you like holiday decorations, check out the windows at Macy's downtown. North Michigan Ave should be lighted up by then, too.

It will be a festive time to visit!