Travel CHICAGO! Tips, restaurants and hotel advice!

I don't know what the fashion is now for overcoats, but I agree with CuTe_ClAsSy---tights are a great idea and a long coat. When I lived in Chicagoland I had a nice wool coat that was well below my knees. I was always warm in that thing. It was very simple and tailored so it could go to a play or out to dinner.

Tights and closed toe heels. Do you have a longer, formal coat?

Thanks for the suggestions! I do have a longer wool coat. Do you mean actual heels or boots?

I don't know what the fashion is now for overcoats, but I agree with CuTe_ClAsSy---tights are a great idea and a long coat. When I lived in Chicagoland I had a nice wool coat that was well below my knees. I was always warm in that thing. It was very simple and tailored so it could go to a play or out to dinner.

Thanks for the advice!

Hi everyone! I was browsing through the thread and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a romantic/birthday kind of trip for Chicago in the winter? My bf is turning 29 and I'm planning a surprise bday trip in February. We'll be staying part of the week with his family in Aurora but I'm planning 3 or 4 days in the city. I was thinking we'd take a train into the city Monday 2/2, his birthday is Tuesday, and go back to aurora Wed or Thursday (depending on cost of hotel and what we want to do). I'm having difficulty looking online and trying to find nice romantic stuff for us to do in the winter time, everything is centered around walking in the park and river taxis, but i doubt they'll be open in February.

So far, I have considered us ice skating in millennium park, going to dinner at the signature lounge in order to see the city, maybe doing a carriage ride on Michigan ave, and i would love to book us a couples massage but i'm not sure wheres the best place to go. Also, it'll be restaurant week while we're there so I would love to be able to capitalize on that if anyone could suggests some to attend. I haven't booked an hotel yet, but trying to find somewhere in the city with a good deal and pretty good location to everything since we'll be walking or cabbing it.

I would LOVE any suggestions to fill in our time there. He LOVES music so if there's anywhere that has live bands or a jazz place where we could go dancing, or a great whiskey bar. and just any suggestions for something romantic but not too costly. He's worked really hard this year and I just want to take him away the usual hustle and bustle and feel pampered and just fill his days with exciting and wonderful memories, and maybe we can sneak over to nordstrom rack for me for an hour lol. I would greatly appreciate any advice!!!

You can do a nice couples massage at ***** and grab a drink after at Rebar which will give you a nice view of the river (although not as good as Sixteen if you want to get in there for lunch). Green Mill is going to be the most well known place for Jazz and for good reason. For whiskey, Berkshire Room and Untitled are both enjoyable. Enjoy!

Thanks for the suggestions! I do have a longer wool coat. Do you mean actual heels or boots?

Thanks for the advice!

Sorry I just got this quote notification. You may have already left. I assumed since you were were going out in a little black dress you'd want heels. Boots would obviously be warmer if you are okay with being more casual.

Sorry I just got this quote notification. You may have already left. I assumed since you were were going out in a little black dress you'd want heels. Boots would obviously be warmer if you are okay with being more casual.

Depending on the soles of the boots, they might also be safer in the winter on the sidewalks.

You can do a nice couples massage at ***** and grab a drink after at Rebar which will give you a nice view of the river (although not as good as Sixteen if you want to get in there for lunch). Green Mill is going to be the most well known place for Jazz and for good reason. For whiskey, Berkshire Room and Untitled are both enjoyable. Enjoy!

Thank you soooo much for all the info!!!! This is going to be great!!!

I'll be in Chicago in late Jan & wanted to know if anyone has a recommendation for a toddler-friendly restaurant that's near the Shedd Aquarium?

Also, is Portillo's Hot Dogs on Ontario St worth a visit & is there a seating area? And would I still be able to get donuts from The Donut Vault if I go after 9 a.m.? TIA!

I'll be in Chicago in late Jan & wanted to know if anyone has a recommendation for a toddler-friendly restaurant that's near the Shedd Aquarium?

Also, is Portillo's Hot Dogs on Ontario St worth a visit & is there a seating area? And would I still be able to get donuts from The Donut Vault if I go after 9 a.m.? TIA!

Portillo's is good... However I have read that their food contains trans fats and I know a lot of it has msg in it. I always feel awful after my meal. You order at a counter and get a number, sit until they call your order. Plenty of places to sit, it's a fast food place though. They have great cheese fries, Italian beefs, and hot dogs. If you want a burger I would get M burger which is on Ontario and State.

I live across from donut vault so I see the line every weekend. You should be fine but might have to wait if it's a weekend.. I waited for an hour in the cold on a Saturday and it was not worth it. I would go on a Friday or during week when there is no line. There is no seating inside and they only accept cash. I personally prefer Glazed donuts only because they make a red velvet donut :smile:

I don't have little ones yet so I can't help on restaurants by Shedd!

Portillo's is great and it's cheap! The food is very fatty and don't expect a gourmet experience. It's more like fast food.

yolk is good for breakfast food. i went to donut vault around 10-11 on a weekend iirc and got donuts. they didn't have good flavors when i went so i wasn't impressed. went to do-rite donuts the same day and preferred those. galzed and infused probably better too.

Thanks for the feedback L'etoile and gymangel812! I've been to Yolk on my previous visit so want to hit Wildberry Pancakes this time. As for Portillos, maybe I'll just do a simple hot dog and not go crazy on ordering if it's more on the greasy side. And I'll try to check out Do-Rite donut too... just for research purposes of course.

Thanks for the feedback L'etoile and gymangel812! I've been to Yolk on my previous visit so want to hit Wildberry Pancakes this time. As for Portillos, maybe I'll just do a simple hot dog and not go crazy on ordering if it's more on the greasy side. And I'll try to check out Do-Rite donut too... just for research purposes of course.
if you have a car, you should visit m henry/m henrietta for breakfast/brunch, it's one of the best things i've ever eaten.

Hi everyone. I just read the whole thread and wanted to ask a few questions.

Thinking of going to Chicago 3rd week of Aug with my 12 year old daughter.
Staying in Rosemont for the WizardWorld convention for 3 days, then into Chicago for 3 or 4 days.
Thinking we'd like to stay near the Magnificent Mile (Is the James still a good choice?)
Visit Navy Pier, Shedd Aquarium, Millenium Park & perhaps the Children's Museum.

Any advice or transit recommendations?. Should we cab it around to those areas?.
Also any other hotel advice would be appreciated.

If you want to be close to the magnificent mile the Talbott is a very nice hotel. I was impressed by their service when I stayed there recently.
Millennium Park would be a nice walk from that area or a very fast bus ride. Shedd aquarium, if I remember correctly, is an easy, direct bus ride on the 146 I think. I would personally skip navy pier. The art institute and the natural history museum are great.