Your Hermès Lessons Learned

I decided three years ago to hold off on buying a house. Because of that, I felt like I had money just sitting there decreasing in value, so I started buying H. Now it's time to actually buy the house, and I realize that I could've bought it in cash before the pandemic. After spending a lot buying H inside and outside the boutique (in my opinion because I am not as successful as many of you guys here), and the crazy inflation, these houses are no longer affordable to me. Do I regret buying H? No. Do I regret not buying a house? Definitely. Now, I am looking into putting a down payment and paying off the house over time while indulging in H only when I can truly afford it.

I'm still very new to the world of H (3 months), but here are some personal revelations:

1. Can't trust the website photos for accurate portrayal of how the scarves look like in person. Recently did a charge send on a scarf that I was so excited to get, only to be let down by how drab it looked on me. Fortunately my SA was very understanding and I was able to exchange for other items and I left much happier than before!
2. Stop stressing out about the prespend. I have a tendency to overanalyze everything, but it's a habit I've been actively trying to break as I get older. I still have yet to receive my first QB but I don't think the prespend is set in stone for my home store because I have experienced that some 'rules' which I thought were set in stone are able to be bent depending on the relationship (who knew?). I initially got into H for FJ and now I find myself enjoying shopping across all categories. I always have a professional and fun experience shopping with my SA, and as long as I leave the store happy and don't feel like my (and their) time is wasted I am good. I've got other things in my life I have to devote my energy to! Honestly I think I've reached the point where I feel comfortable discussing QBs/leather colors without sounding entitled or obsessive and that just took a massive weight off my shoulders.
3. Hermes beauty (I'm looking at you, lip oil) doesn't work for me. Let's stick to what works.

Always bought "small" items - scarves, shoes and am a little addicted to the Petit H range but here are some things I need to focus on going forward:

1. Fewer, bigger, better: I have spent the equivalent of multiple bags over the years on the Petit H range online over the years. The wrap silk strings in my profile? I bought them in every colour. Could have gotten the a classic wallet that I was eyeing on that I would probably still be using (we're talking 2013 prices here). I now avoid even looking, because I can never resist the whimsiness of the products.

2. Know your colours: So many mistakes were made when buying scarfs and shawls. Just because I like how the colours look, doesn't mean they'd look good on me. Enough said.

3. You're either an accessorize the accessory person, of you're not. Did I buy multiple twillies and charms for my bags when I first got them? Yes. Did I ever use them? No.

4. Multiple pairs of shoes later, I've come to accept that they just don't work for my feet.

5. Hold your horses. I bought 3 bags last year that I've not even reached for (Craie Picotin18 - too pristine, Navy Blue Herbag 39 - the strap was too thin for my laptop, Gold B30 - just not right for some reason). I wish I waited for the K25 or 28 that I really, really want instead.

Last edited:
I attended a scarves event at the boutique once and they had a “scarves expert” show us so many different ways to wear the 90s scarves, I mean, she turned the scarves into tops, headbands, belts, even bags! I was so excited that I purchased my first 90 scarf that day - only for me to rehome it later because I had no idea how to be creative with it like she did :’)
No matter how many times I'm shown different ways to "style" my 90 scarves, I still only wear them in the same 3 ways.

Always bought "small" items - scarves, shoes and am a little addicted to the Petit H range but here are some things I need to focus on going forward:

1. Fewer, bigger, better: I have spent the equivalent of multiple bags over the years on the Petit H range online over the years. The wrap silk strings in my profile? I bought them in every colour. Could have gotten the a classic wallet that I was eyeing on that I would probably still be using (we're talking 2013 prices here). I now avoid even looking, because I can never resist the whimsiness of the products.

2. Know your colours: So many mistakes were made when buying scarfs and shawls. Just because I like how the colours look, doesn't mean they'd look good on me. Enough said.

3. You're either an accessorize the accessory person, of you're not. Did I buy multiple twillies and charms for my bags when I first got them? Yes. Did I ever use them? No.

4. Multiple pairs of shoes later, I've come to accept that they just don't work for my feet.

5. Hold your horses. I bought 3 bags last year that I've not even reached for (Craie Picotin18 - too pristine, Navy Blue Herbag 39 - the strap was too thin for my laptop, Gold B30 - just not right for some reason). I wish I waited for the K25 or 28 that I really, really want instead.
Yup! :smile:

but, craie is oddly hardier than it looks. i believe @Tykhe has a bag in nata that has gone through multiple accidents with things like spinach and come out perfectly. Perhaps she will see the tag and step in :smile:

Last edited:
Does this count?

We were watching the 3rd Transformers the other night and the lady in a scene asks for her Birkin and when her assistant handed the lady her bag... it was a Kelly. :facepalm:

So, I guess my lesson learned, over the years of admiring Hermès bags, is the difference between a Birkin and a Kelly? :lol:
Thats pretty funny and odd that they didn’t get it right in the fim.

No matter how many times I'm shown different ways to "style" my 90 scarves, I still only wear them in the same 3 ways.
Same here! I see all sorts of videos on how to tie them, and while I think they look great in the video I can never seem to master them. Either that or I feel like I can't pull off the look. Maybe the lesson I need to learn is that I'm not really a scarf person. But they are so beautiful...

1. Never buy a bag outside your color palette. I generally only wear black, gray, pinks, white and certain shades of red. Once bought a blue nuit k32 retourne thinking it was neutral enough. Loved the bag, but realized blue just wasn't for me.
2. Never be afraid to rehome items that no longer work for you, or were mistakes in the first place.
3. Be kind and friendly to everyone in the store, not just your regular SA (which should be your rule in every store you shop in).
4. You can never have to many scarves, but curate, and don't keep buying the same color ways because they're in your palette.
5. A 90 scarf is the perfect way to add pop to any simple outfit.
6. Cashmere shawls are perfect for Fall, Winter, early Spring colder weather climates, and are a go-to for plane travel.
7. Only buy mid-sized bags or smaller ones that can be worn cross body. If it doesn't have a strap, the handle has to be large enough to fit over my hand and sit in the crook of my arm to leave my hand free (which means no B25s). If it can fit over my shoulder, even better.
8. Bag organizers take up valuable space. Better to use bag shapers to protect the bottom and keep it from sagging.
9. You can never have too many black bags.
10. If you are offered a dream bag, unless you're under extreme financial duress, buy it. Chances of seeing the same, bag, color, hardware, leather, size combination are slim.
11. Don't be afraid to tell your SA what you want.
12. Don't think you can only buy in your home store with your SA. We travel frequently, and make purchases all around the world.
13. Shop the men's side of the store. They often have great scarves, accessories etc. Some of my most worn scarves are from the men's side.
14. Be patient, but don't be afraid to keep asking. Wondering into the store, even if you don't buy anything, is always a good way to keep yourself uppermost in your SA's mind for when that perfect bag comes in so that you'll be the one its offered to.
15. Never ever buy anything just to spend money for a "pre-spend." If you're not going to use/love it, don't buy it.
16. There's nothing wrong with bags being "special occasion" bags that only get pulled out for big events. In between, you can just admire them as art.

So many excellent points have been made. I guess mine are:
1. With age you'll be able to accurately define your personal style more and more. You'll be less likely to jump on trends and therefore are (hopefully) less likely to waste money on things that aren't actually 'you'
2. Unlike many here PHW works so much better with my style because I lean very casual (even though I predominantly wear gold jewelry). PHW makes many of the bags a touch less dressy (and flashy) which works better for me. This isn't to say I would decline the right bag with GHW.
3. Just because you can appreciate the beauty of others' outfits and their style doesn't mean you have to imitate it
4. While I try to be more selective with what I purchase as I've aged, I do believe its okay to have some items that you absolutely LOVE but don't really use. As long as it 'sparks joy' and didn't put you into debt there's no harm on holding on to it. This isn't to be mistaken for the mentality that because something is a collectors item or very expensive you need to keep it. You need to genuinely love it.

I think we were just victims of the ugly terms--man bag, man purse, or murse--in that our bags have to be a certain size (almost travel size) and shape (tote or briefcase-y), otherwise eww you're carrying a woman's purse, as if our gender expression hinges on what kind of bag we carry. Thank goodness it's now perfectly normal for men to have small bags.

My all-time favorite look was just a glimpse of a much-older, elegant gentleman, impeccably dressed, carrying a B35 Noir Shiny Croc. It suited him so perfectly that to date, in my mind no one has favorably compared to him. This must have been at least 20 years ago, certainly before seeing men carrying bags was commonplace here (except my Dad, who I’m allowed to make fun of for his man bag because it’s NOT an elegant bag and it does not suit his personal style at all, and he insists on this little zip pouch thing with a shoulder strap :doh:).

3. Buy twillies preemptively. Chances are there won’t be a twilly that perfectly matches the accepted bag offer on the day of, so might as well just buy colorways I like as I see them, so I’m prepared for future bags.
Yes, 1000%

Same here! I see all sorts of videos on how to tie them, and while I think they look great in the video I can never seem to master them. Either that or I feel like I can't pull off the look. Maybe the lesson I need to learn is that I'm not really a scarf person. But they are so beautiful...

Anyone can wear a scarf. It’s truly one of those pieces where (to misquote Diana Vreeland) your ‘mind has to adjust’. You just make a decision to wear one every day for a week, or once a week or whatever, and you will get used to how it looks and feels on you. I do agree that everyone does need to learn a few useful ways of tying a scarf and the main problem is probably that most people are not folding and tying their scarf in a way they suits their style or neckline. For example, I absolutely never wear a scarf or shawl Cowboy style. I always fold it lengthwise and thin, and then I have a bunch of my usual favorite ways to wear them. The absolute easiest, no-brainer way, which is perfect under a jacket or knit, its not to tie it at all; just fold it thin and lay it under your collar line for a bit of color/coordination.

Here is an article I wrote showing how to fold it, and then some tying
suggestions:

As a bonus, you also get my bizarre sense of humor:

IMG_5861.jpeg

1. Can't trust the website photos for accurate portrayal of how the scarves look like in person. Recently did a charge send on a scarf that I was so excited to get, only to be let down by how drab it looked on me. Fortunately my SA was very understanding and I was able to exchange for other items and I left much happier than before!

Hermès’ website photos of scarves are altered to deter counterfeiters. I have noticed that the photos which are *not* the main pic are usually a bit less altered.

Okay, now, a few more important lessons from me to me (or whomever it may apply to):

-No pens. No pens. NO PENS EVER ANYWHERE NEAR LEATHER THIS IS NOT NEGOTIABLE.

-As a general rule, Velcro is not a cashmere-lover’s friend.

-Patterned clothing OR a scarf, not both.

-Despite the lack of logos, you CAN INDEED wear too much Hermès at one time.

-Not everything everyone does to maintain the condition of their purchases is necessarily a good idea (a/k/a what solves one problem may create another, f/k/a bag inserts can distort your bag).

- Purchases are like friends in that you may keep them for a reason, a season or a lifetime. Styles change, you change, your tastes change, your hair color changes (ok, maybe that part’s just me). If it no longer suits you or sparks joy, let it go. Big bags were great years ago when my kids were little, and I am still thrilled that I no longer need to carry one, but one day I may be blessed with grandchildren (but NOT soon, please!) and then I may need a big bag again.

- Do not overstuff your bag. It looks odd, and it’s not good for either your shoulders or the bag handles.

- If you LOOOOOOOOVE a color, it’s going to haunt you until you get a significant piece in that color. It’s probably going to have to be a bag. And it’s probably going to have to have the “correct” hardware, too.

I think a lot of the color/style advice I've read in this thread is so critical. I spent most of the dark years of 2020 and 2021 learning about color and style systems (starting with 4 season color analysis and working my way around to, well, just about everything: Kibbe, Zyla, Caygill...you name it, I've probably spent some time studying it!). The end result is that I learned a ton about colors and styles that do and don't work for me, and I've made conscious choices in my wardrobe based on that. It's one thing when you're shopping at Wet Seal and a cute shirt is a cute shirt, but when you're spending H money, the more aware of your own needs you are, the better off you'll be in the long run!

Some other tips I've already gleaned:
1. Honestly, buy what you love. No, I haven't gotten my QB yet, but I have a variety of items I enjoy and use. Trying to "game" the system isn't going to get you there any faster, unless you have a whoooole boatload of money you're willing to drop.

2. Learning about H products and materials is so critical! I'm not saying you have to have SA levels of knowledge, but learning about what kinds of items you can generally expect to find at H and what kinds of materials you'll see goes a long way towards making the entire process more enjoyable. And easier. Much easier!

3. Treat your SA like a person. They're not your QB Yoda (or, I guess, if you're not getting what you want, your H Gandalf). They're people, too. Have a conversation. Be friendly. You might just enjoy chatting! My SA and I certainly do!

4. If you're wearing a silk scarf and eating pizza for lunch, either take off your scarf or flip any loose hanging ends to the back of your neck while you're eating. Of course, I'm not saying this happened to me. I would never do something as stupid as--ok, yeah, this happened to me.