Your Hermès Lessons Learned

As a newbie to H (started early this year), I don’t have any expensive regrets just yet. This thread is very helpful to avoid certain things that seem common and I’m taking notes.

So far I have:
Slow and steady wins the race.
Don’t compare your journey to others.
Have patience.
Stick to ghw and don’t be pressured by phw. (This is an expensive lesson I learned at Chanel.)
I should stop at the 5 scarves that I have. I love the patterns and colors but I will never learn how to properly tie them lol

My own personal one:
It’s ok if you buy 29 pink bags as long as you use and love them :P

What else did I miss?

As a newbie to H (started early this year), I don’t have any expensive regrets just yet. This thread is very helpful to avoid certain things that seem common and I’m taking notes.

So far I have:
Have patience.
Stick to ghw and don’t be pressured by phw. (This is an expensive lesson I learned at Chanel.)
I should stop at the 5 scarves that I have. I love the patterns and colors but I will never learn how to properly tie them lol

My own personal one:

What else did I miss?
Stop at 5 scarves - if you find a way, tell me how! :lol:

Seriously tho, I have learnt lots from tpf, you might find inspiration from the “how to tie” thread?

1. I have an orange C24, do I need this in a B & K too? I now realise I don’t … unless someone wants to gift me lol.

2. I have 3 neutral Birkins. My wishlist is for a black and then no more Birkins for me. At one point in my life I wanted a rainbow of colours but now I don’t.

3. I am a magnet to colour. However, In reality, I’ve never used my Rose Extreme bag or red bag. I LOVE them both. I convince myself they have a purpose in my wardrobe but in reality they don’t. I can count the number of times I used my red Chanel so I know there isn’t much hope for bright colours.

4. That said, I used my Lime Jige everyday on holiday. My heart still hankers for a yellow bag. But my brain says it won’t work with UK weather. Yellow is a summer holiday colour, in my opinion. Plus, I can’t see myself toting a yellow B in a kids theme park where bags are thrown to the floor.

5. I love the Constance over Birkin and Kelly but just can’t get hold of them !

6. I feel I have wasted money on the C to go (prefer the bigger sister) K to go, C slim (fits nothing and is pointless thing digging into my waist) Calvi’s etc as they sit in the box gathering dust. My everyday day small pouch is a LV and Chanel. I just don’t swap the contents out at all, too lazy for that. The Bearn card holder is expensive but is used daily. I wouldn’t buy another one!

7. The neobain pouches are excellent and I have 5 (yes 5 ) different sizes but they are one of the cheapest items I have and the most used. I will buy more. They organise my life and contents of bag so easily. I am impatiently waiting for new colours to come out.

8. After spending a considerable amount of ££££ in Hermes, I feel I don’t want to spend any more. How many more shoes, do I need ? (none). My cupboard is full of Hermes that my husband refuses to let it spill into the house. So no objects, no dinnerware and no blankets or cushions allowed.

9. Hermes adjustable belts are life!

Stop at 5 scarves - if you find a way, tell me how! :lol:

Seriously tho, I have learnt lots from tpf, you might find inspiration from the “how to tie” thread?
I doubt I will stop at 5 lol who am I kidding :doh:

I have looked thru the thread and watched videos but for some reason my brain get tangled at the folding lol. In the end I, too, look like a flight attendant or cowboy :giggle:

So far I have:
Have patience.

My own personal one:

What else did I miss?
@jimmyshoogirl may I ask why stick only to ghw? I don't own any chanel so just wondering does something happen to phw? I too love and prefer ghw but I do have 2 H bags with phw, so should I be worried?:confused1:

@jimmyshoogirl may I ask why stick only to ghw? I don't own any chanel so just wondering does something happen to phw? I too love and prefer ghw but I do have 2 H bags with phw, so should I be worried?:confused1:
Hi! It’s just my preference. I tend to lean more towards carrying my bags with gold hardware. I prefer the warmth of yellow and rose on my skin tone and to my eyes. Nothing major lol, just me being superficial. Don’t be worried. Please enjoy your bags!!

Last edited:
I doubt I will stop at 5 lol who am I kidding :doh:

I have looked thru the thread and watched videos but for some reason my brain get tangled at the folding lol. In the end I, too, look like a flight attendant or cowboy :giggle:
The cowboy look is a great reason not to wear silks and perhaps spend less money on H. :lol:If you'd like an excuse to spend more (do you need one?), check out MaiTai's great app, Scarf Art, for different ways to tie scarves of all sizes. And, to stay on topic, the lesson I've learned is that I don't need to spend money on H scarf rings; instead I just use some of my cocktail rings when wearing silks. They work perfectly!

The cowboy look is a great reason not to wear silks and perhaps spend less money on H. :lol:If you'd like an excuse to spend more (do you need one?), check out MaiTai's great app, Scarf Art, for different ways to tie scarves of all sizes. And, to stay on topic, the lesson I've learned is that I don't need to spend money on H scarf rings; instead I just use some of my cocktail rings when wearing silks. They work perfectly!
I’ve watched one of the Mai Tai videos. I really do need to take the time to learn, for sure! Every time I look at the scarves thread I shred a little tear :lol: Hmmm I need to add stop buying scarf rings to the list also lol. Thank you for the tips. I may need to take a weekend off to learn:sad:

I think I have learned a couple of expensive lessons from Hermes.

1. I am drawn to cool colors. For years I dreamed of owning a gold Hermes bag. When I finally got it, it is a museum piece on my shelf because I don’t really wear warm colors.
2. I have never liked pink bags very much and my pink Chanel bags aren’t rotated into use often. However, I am absolutely nuts about rose Sakura. It think it is a cooler pink and I wear my picotin 18 in rose Sakura more than any other bag in my collection. Strangely, the color just compliments all my outfits. It is my most neutral bag. I think I should just double down on the color and buy everything in rose Sakura. Hey maybe I just have basic color tastes. Hah hah.
3 bigger bags are a waste of closet space because they are too heavy. I never wear my k28 or b30 because they are a pain. I gave them to my mother. I don’t think I will ever carry them even if big bags came back into fashion. My arms aren’t getting any stronger as I get older.
4 birkins are not for me. I can’t stand the lack of a shoulder carry option. I have one birkin now but I am not terribly eager to add anymore.

Not sure if this constitutes as an Hermes lesson. Cover your bag properly when you dine in a crowded restaurant. My new (an hour old) Birkin was stained even though i covered it with my 140cm scarf. I sent the bag back to the store immediately. It will cost me a few hundred dollars to remove the stain.
I spilled coffee on my new bag first day I used it. Good thing it was brown

Not sure if this constitutes as an Hermes lesson. Cover your bag properly when you dine in a crowded restaurant. My new (an hour old) Birkin was stained even though i covered it with my 140cm scarf. I sent the bag back to the store immediately. It will cost me a few hundred dollars to remove the stain.
So true! Best to avoid taking an expensive bag to a crowded restaurant. Many times I have had close calls at restaurants and expensive handbags.

What a fun thread! Love hearing about other's experiences and personal lessons!

Never say no to scarf without seeing how it ties first! There are a lot of scarves that I think are gorgeous but bland when tied. Vice versa, there are scarves that I thought the designs were too much, but tied so beautifully.

Always make sure nails are always filed. I once snagged a thread of a scarf *sob*

Don't settle. Perfect combo will happen. Just gotta wait :smile:
Ditto. Make sure your nails are filed before handling silks and cashmeres. Also, wedding ring (or any cocktail ring) + tucked in flap on birkin = trouble
Don’t settle and dream big