Your Hermès Lessons Learned

New lesson: there’s always room for one more H bag.
Thought I was at purse peace (which I kind of am as I’m happy with my BKC collection but then out of the blue, my new SA offered me an Evelyne TPM (which I never thought I wanted) and all of a sudden, that’s the only bag I’ve been using all week.)
I've learnt this lesson as well. When I use it for all week then I bought the right bag indeed. :tup:

I don’t like to wear bright colors so stick to neutrals

I really just like my bags naked

I don’t like big bags anymore so don’t buy anything bigger than a 25

Gold Hardware Only

If I don’t want to wear it right away don’t buy it will just sit in the closet

Having too much “stuff” gives me anxiety

Buy less but better…never settle

Gold Hardware Only

+1 on the naked part. I removed the twillies from my Kelly’s to let the handles “breathe” and realised I like it so much better au naturel

PS. I also don’t clothe my dog other than absolutely necessary (booties on rainy/snowy days and coats when super cold)

Wow 4 QB in a span of 20 years...that's like an average of 1 QB per 5 years...I love this kind of pace tbh...gives you time to actually enjoy the QB and continue to shop and decide what your next QB would be...

I bought 2 non-QB from resellers and lucky it's from the same trusted one so far no issues but with increase taxes to buy them when it comes into my country...I decided not to buy anymore as I am happy with my current non-QB collection which fits my lifestyle though one day once financial commitments are done...I would like to save for the 1 QB...
Mapoon, There does come a day when tuition is paid, the mortgage gets chipped away, the wardrobe basics are in good shape, etc. Things get easier. I think you're quite right to think that.

I patronized that particular boutique for at least 15 years. I really like H chunky silver bracelets and there were some fantastic designs during starting from the late 80s into the 2000s. One day the manager sat me down and said it's time to get a bag. I was kind of amazed that I was being offered one. But, in the pursuit of these chunky bracelets, I had evidently accumulated the "spend" for a bag. As you know, H likes customers who diversify and who are not single-mindedly pursuing a QB.

1660654757197.png

I have yet to see a picture of an owl doing this although I'm pretty sure they can.
I

New lesson: there’s always room for one more H bag.
Thought I was at purse peace (which I kind of am as I’m happy with my BKC collection but then out of the blue, my new SA offered me an Evelyne TPM (which I never thought I wanted) and all of a sudden, that’s the only bag I’ve been using all week.)
To me purse peace is more like when you’re not actively pursuing a bag and your wishlist is all checked off, but if a nice offer comes along, then why not! ;):lol:

Gold Hardware Only

Bolded the ones that I'm feeling stronger about every day!

Mapoon, There does come a day when tuition is paid, the mortgage gets chipped away, the wardrobe basics are in good shape, etc. Things get easier. I think you're quite right to think that.

I patronized that particular boutique for at least 15 years. I really like H chunky silver bracelets and there were some fantastic designs during starting from the late 80s into the 2000s. One day the manager sat me down and said it's time to get a bag. I was kind of amazed that I was being offered one. But, in the pursuit of these chunky bracelets, I had evidently accumulated the "spend" for a bag. As you know, H likes customers who diversify and who are not single-mindedly pursuing a QB.

View attachment 5591048

I have yet to see a picture of an owl doing this although I'm pretty sure they can.
I
I cannot agree more with what you said!! "Slow & steady wins the race"...Diversification is so true...it shows H that we as clients really love the brand...I love their leather bracelets alot too but it's hard to get styles in firstly my size and pop of colours...

Come to Australia...the bats are all hanging upside down like this in the mornings too heeee...

Buy bags and H items more slowly and carefully. No more twillies! Buy bags I’ll use, and not just colors I love. Despite fear of light bags (ah!) I do need a light bag in my purse wardrobe.
Heee...would love this kind of pace too but sometimes nothing comes in for awhile and all comes in at once lol!! Twillies are my weakness too...but I have since been more selective....Yes I have a fear of light coloured bags as I wear demin...Maybe something small to add to the mix!

I learned that:

1. Hermes is an expensive hobby which requires significant financial power. I wish my 'love for the brand' could be expressed by merely buying occasional scarfs or trinkets but realistically I will not be able to compete for sought-after items.

2. The scarcity of items also add into the calculation: if I find something I am after, (store) price, VAT refund, etc be damned. Buy! Or make peace with the fact that I cannot afford it yet (looking at you, gold jewellery!)

3. Worrying about pristine condition takes away the joy of owning Hermes goods for me. If I buy it, I must make sure that I can comfortably use or, it means that I cannot afford it yet.

You can tell I am in Finance :lol: All about budget and spend, baby!

Last edited:
I learned that:

1. Hermes is an expensive hobby which requires significant financial power. I wish my 'love for the brand' could be expressed by merely buying occasional scarfs or trinkets but realistically I will not be able to compete for sought-after items.

2. The scarcity of items also add into the calculation: if I find something I am after, (store) price, VAT refund, etc be damned. Buy! Or make peace with the fact that I cannot afford it yet (looking at you, gold jewellery!)

3. Worrying about pristine condition takes away the joy of owning Hermes goods for me. If I buy it, I must make sure that I can comfortably use or, it means that I cannot afford it yet.

You can tell I am in Finance :lol: All about budget and spend, baby!
+1 this! Especially #1. It's so wonderful that we have such a diverse population here in tpf that can coexist so harmoniously. Exceptions happen here and there, but I love that for the most part, members here seem to always celebrate the joy of acquiring any H pieces and always appreciate that any H purchase is an extravagant luxury and that we're paying very signficant premiums for the brand's products, quality, and heritage.

I genuinely and sincerely celebrate our friends who have the wherewithal to speak to 6 or 7 figure H spends, who are on first name basis with not just SAs but also boutique managers, and yet who still engage with this community even though so many of these posts/threads are simply noise.

Just as I admire the persistence of especially those newer members who are really striving to score a few key H pieces with "only" a "mass affluent" financial picture and who thus necessarily have to get into back-and-forths about what the latest prespend ratios or the tricks to Paris are. And they (I should really say "we") celebrate the others, even as some of the other tpfers' collections, with closets full of exotics and considerations about maximum QB offers/year aren't even in the "aspirational" realm for us.

Last edited:
1. Find an SA you click with. I walked in close to closing with no appointment on my first visit. Although in a T-shirt and denim shorts I was treated like a queen. In turn, having been in retail, I treat everyone in the store with respect. I don’t patronize. I don’t waste their time.
2. I collect scarves and don’t wear them often and get great joy out of this exchange. I keep them in glass cases. It’s frivolous, but so what? I’m incredibly frugal everywhere else. I get to go against my cautious self, step out of the box. It’s thrilling.
3. I’m honest about what I like and don’t like so my SA is in-tune with what she reserves for me
4. The wait is the joy - everyone has an LV neverfull
5. Whatever it is, it will show wear. Either accept that or you just bought an expensive orange box that will live in your closet
6. See items in person if possible. H.com photos are not always what is reflective of real life. Once a scarf was photographed wrong side out!
7. I get the most out of my visits. I talk to the manager, other SAs, customers. I’m transparent about what I don’t know about the brand. I get visibly excited about surprise offerings. After, I text my SA thanking her for such a great experience, because it is great every single time