Your Hermès Lessons Learned

Lessons learned from me
1) If you buy a scarf you must love the whole scarf - every part of the design and all the colours - any part of it that jars or doesn't suit will just lead to buyer's remorse or endless fidgeting.
2) There will be some seasons when Hermes just doesn't do it for you - relax, walk away and save your cash for another time.
3) This took me ages to learn - if you fall out of love with an Hermes item it is OK to move on and allow someone else to enjoy it - I used to think I had to live with my (bad) choices forever. Hermes is a fashion house not an oath before God.
4) Stick to accessories - my body shape does nothing for Hermes Ready-to-Wear.
5) Listen to the SAs, particularly the experienced ones, they do this for a living.
6) It is not obligatory to have Hermes bags, scarves, jewellery, china, cushions, 'objets', shoes, furniture, towels, gloves and socks.
7) The lifestyle portrayed in 'Monde d'Hermes' is beautiful, impractical marketing fantasy - it is not how you should aspire to live!
OMG!
Love this … especially this:

Hermes is a fashion house not an oath before God.

That…
-I love all H bags but always reach for a B35. They are classic, look slouch-ily cool and hold a lot of stuff.
-Clemence is my all-time favorite sexy H leather and is not even one smidgen heavier than my Togo bags. They do fine in the rain, and since my bags always have liners anyway, all stand up pretty much the same.
-I do fine with light colors and they are not an effort to keep clean.
-I love 90’s but never wear them and prefer giant triangles.
-The most underrated, underpriced bag is the Wallago Cabine 35 Tote.
-H is always doing something wonky with their loafer fit so I have to try them on each season to see what size I wear. :thinking:
-Whatever type feet think Orans are “so comfortable,” I apparently do not have.
-H saddle makers are geniuses.

My lessons learned are:
- Epsom leather is the worst leather for me. I don’t like how it feels
- anything over 25 size is too big for me, I have a B30 and I never reach for it same with a k32
- in theory I like neutral colors but in reality I’m a color girl! I almost never reach for my noir bags but use my magnolia and Vert criquet bags all the time
- rodeos are so cute but they live in the boxes they came in
- silks are so pretty but they also live in boxes
- I love a majority of H shoes but I really only wear them sparingly because my son likes to step all over my feet cuz why would that be painful right? (He’s 5)
- I want to buy all rtw but in reality my body type fits only a small percentage of it, yet every season I go into the store super hopeful like a lamb greeting a wolf. I try things on and I’m like omg this is gonna be awesome but then nothing fits right ‍♀️

That…
-I love all H bags but always reach for a B35. They are classic, look slouch-ily cool and hold a lot of stuff.
-Clemence is my all-time favorite sexy H leather and is not even one smidgen heavier than my Togo bags. They do fine in the rain, and since my bags always have liners anyway, all stand up pretty much the same.
-I do fine with light colors and they are not an effort to keep clean.
-I love 90’s but never wear them and prefer giant triangles.
-The most underrated, underpriced bag is the Wallago Cabine 35 Tote.
-H is always doing something wonky with their loafer fit so I have to try them on each season to see what size I wear. :thinking:
-Whatever type feet think Orans are “so comfortable,” I apparently do not have.
-H saddle makers are geniuses.
Yes! I lusted after a Wallago Cabine ( and still do) - I like bags that you can put stuff in - anything under 35cm is just pointless for me

I also can’t (for the life of me) tie my H scarves elegantly. Always looks a bit wrong and wonky. But I still just keep wearing them because I really find the designs so beautiful. I just do the cowboy bandana look and not think twice.
I might want to try the cashmere shawls a try instead of silk scarves they might be easier to work with :biggrin: but definitely not during summer!

Lessons learned for me:
1. If it’s not love at first sight, it’s a no. Do not talk yourself into liking an item just because it’s popular or classic
2. Any shades of brown is a straight no. Stick to the usual white and black
3. Palladium is a big no, unless it’s jewellery

I learned my lessons the hard way. Persuaded myself these items are classic and so versatile that can be incorporated into my wardrobe, only to realise that i can’t. Luckily there is a return period and credit notes can easily be spent on something i enjoy so much more!
I cant totally relate to trying to persuade yourself into making something work :doh: sometimes things just don’t work out!

My lessons learnt from my H shopping experience:
  1. For someone who only has been buying black bags in the past, I have learnt that some H bags are meant to be in colours. As I had mentioned several times in the past, I made a mistake with my black Picotin and decided to rehome her. Now I have Picotins in pinks and purples!
  2. For me, bleu nuit is the new black. My first BN bag is a Wallago Cabine and now I have BN B25 and B30 (same spec. but in different size). I am obsessed with this colour so much so that I now have scarves, twillys, SLGs in BN.
  3. Do not underestimate the simplicity of the Garden Partys! I gifted one to my mom but she swapped it for my black Halzan as she found the GP to be too big. And I have been using the GP as a carryall and loving it for its easy access. Now I am looking for a smaller GP in beton!
  4. I used to be paranoid about light coloured bags - heavy maintenance etc. But now I am loving my light coloured bags - in rose sakura, bleu pale, trench, and hopefully beton! Bring them on, I say! I think smaller bags are great in light colours.
  5. I used to get two-coloured scarves (mainly in dark colours). But now, the more colourful the better! I love Alice Shirley, Pierre Marie, and Jan Bajtlik the most and tend to collect their scarves and twillys in as many CWs as possible. I learn to appreciate the intricacies of H scarves' designs and production. Now one of my silly hobbies is hunting for vintage and limited edition scarves. Oh, I would also check out the designers' IG posts as I try to get the CWs that most closely replicate the original colours.
  6. I love the Passifolia homeware as they reminded me of my garden and my husband's passion for gardening.
  7. There is more to H than the B/K/C bags - also I used to be a big bag-girl due to my penchant for carrying everything including the kitchen sink. But I have learnt to love the smaller bags - even the B25 and H25, gasp! I have the Constance in all sizes (including the Cartable) but my most used one is the CTG!
Finally, the pandemic has taught me the biggest lesson when it comes to H - everyday is an H day, do not keep the H stuff for special occasions - wearing H makes everyday a special day!
Love love lovvve your last point! I’m making it a point to shop from my own collection and use what I have and not wait for “special” occasions!

Also, happy that you can make light colored bags work for you. Light colors terrify me but I find myself dreeeaming of Mauve Sylvestre :’)

What a fun thread! Thanks for starting.

Here are my lessons learned:

1. Big bags are beautiful but they are too heavy to carry around all day.
2. Naturally, big bags also take up a lot of room in the wardrobe (I have a tiny wardrobe *sobs*).
3. I don’t need one of each (e.g. B/K/C) just because other people have them all.
4. The whole relationship building with an SA is not for everyone.
5. H websites surprisingly have a lot of items I want.
6. Lastly, there are other brands than Hermes! XD
I used to think I had to have a Constance even though I wasn’t very much into it but just to achieve the trifecta :lol: thankfully, not anymore. However, I am liking the new Constance 1 design *hides*

1. You are not a small bag person. If it can't fit a pair of shoes in it, it's not for you.
2. GHW is never going to happen.
3. If you only like it in store, you will not love it at home.
4. You might love Soleil but Soleil will never love you back. Neither will Potiron.
5. You will only ever love large scales. Don't even look at small scales.
6. PASSIFOLIA GOES WITH NOTHING IN YOUR KITCHEN!
7. Just because it's pretty, doesn't mean you need to own it.
Nooo Soleil/Potiron for me either :no: absolutely cannot do yellows or oranges!

Lessons learned from me
1) If you buy a scarf you must love the whole scarf - every part of the design and all the colours - any part of it that jars or doesn't suit will just lead to buyer's remorse or endless fidgeting.
2) There will be some seasons when Hermes just doesn't do it for you - relax, walk away and save your cash for another time.
3) This took me ages to learn - if you fall out of love with an Hermes item it is OK to move on and allow someone else to enjoy it - I used to think I had to live with my (bad) choices forever. Hermes is a fashion house not an oath before God.
4) Stick to accessories - my body shape does nothing for Hermes Ready-to-Wear.
5) Listen to the SAs, particularly the experienced ones, they do this for a living.
6) It is not obligatory to have Hermes bags, scarves, jewellery, china, cushions, 'objets', shoes, furniture, towels, gloves and socks.
7) The lifestyle portrayed in 'Monde d'Hermes' is beautiful, impractical marketing fantasy - it is not how you should aspire to live!
Wonderful lessons! +agree with no. 3, I had such a hard time letting go of my larger bags at some point even though they sat in my wardrobe for YEARS! When I finally decided to let them go I was very happy with my decision and now it is a lot easier for me to rehome other items that I know won’t work for me.

• Insightful
Reactions: mcmc and 880
I might want to try the cashmere shawls a try instead of silk scarves they might be easier to work with :biggrin: but definitely not during summer!

I love my cashmere triangle shawls. While the 90 have more styles i find the cashmere triangles are large enough to use a wrap, warm enough to use as a light scarf and make most outfits elegant. On vacation I pretty much use them everyday.