Your Hermès Lessons Learned

Lessons learned:

1. Like so many, I used to be a hardware purist. Now, I still have a slight pref toward PHW but love GHW on many bags and it is not a dealbreaker. (I also think the acceptance of mixed metals overall has helped with this.)

2. Just because I can lift a ton of weights and do multiple pull-ups (ok, like five haha) does not mean I *want* to drag a 35 or even 30 cm Birkin around all day, so I lean to hands-free bags and smaller models. This might be influenced by living more in a city (Paris) that is all about walking.

3. RTW will never work for me. I don't know how other small-framed people do it.

4. Not everything needs to be neutral to be versatile. I like color AND it is wearable!! I wear my Bleu Electrique bags lots and they work with tons of things. Next up maybe Lime or Soleil?!

5. I can't do bag charms and twillies, as adorable as they may be. I tried this at work and ended up in a super serious meeting allocating billions of dollars and felt like a 12-year-old, had to kick the bag under the conference table to hide the charms.

6. The spend requirement, the quota, etc., are not rules; they're applied arbitrarily (often, but not always) and there are a TON of other factors.
RE: no. 5 :lol: as much as I love Pegase Rodeos, I feel very self conscious taking them to the office!

• Insightful
Reactions: 880 and Mapoon
That…
-I love all H bags but always reach for a B35. They are classic, look slouch-ily cool and hold a lot of stuff.
-Clemence is my all-time favorite sexy H leather and is not even one smidgen heavier than my Togo bags. They do fine in the rain, and since my bags always have liners anyway, all stand up pretty much the same.
-I do fine with light colors and they are not an effort to keep clean.
-I love 90’s but never wear them and prefer giant triangles.
-The most underrated, underpriced bag is the Wallago Cabine 35 Tote.
-H is always doing something wonky with their loafer fit so I have to try them on each season to see what size I wear. :thinking:
-Whatever type feet think Orans are “so comfortable,” I apparently do not have.
-H saddle makers are geniuses.
Saaame with the Orans!! In Box leather, they could mould to your feet after a while, but in Epsom they are so painful :doh:

My lessons learned are:
- Epsom leather is the worst leather for me. I don’t like how it feels
- anything over 25 size is too big for me, I have a B30 and I never reach for it same with a k32
- in theory I like neutral colors but in reality I’m a color girl! I almost never reach for my noir bags but use my magnolia and Vert criquet bags all the time
- rodeos are so cute but they live in the boxes they came in
- silks are so pretty but they also live in boxes
- I love a majority of H shoes but I really only wear them sparingly because my son likes to step all over my feet cuz why would that be painful right? (He’s 5)
- I want to buy all rtw but in reality my body type fits only a small percentage of it, yet every season I go into the store super hopeful like a lamb greeting a wolf. I try things on and I’m like omg this is gonna be awesome but then nothing fits right ‍♀️
There’s this certain kaftan that I’m pretty sure is mostly sold in boutiques in the Middle East region, so its supposed to be oversized but I literally look like I’m wearing tent when I try it on :lol: and yet every single season I insist on trying it on because it always comes in beautiful colors but I never end up buying it!

I might want to try the cashmere shawls a try instead of silk scarves they might be easier to work with :biggrin: but definitely not during summer!
The CSGM drapes easier and feels luxurious on. ❤️ Owned one but I was too conscious of having to be really careful with pulls/pills. I am a low-maintenance gal so had to re-home it.

I found my sweet spot though when I got a vintage men’s cotton/silk crinkle scarf. They’re so easy to wear, light and already wrinkled! No maintenance necessary. To me, they’re a complete package. So my H lesson is not giving up and find what’s right for you.

I still love the H silk carres for their design and colours. I had gotten a few the past year so just gotta enjoy them more.

The CSGM drapes easier and feels luxurious on. ❤️ Owned one but I was too conscious of having to be really careful with pulls/pills. I am a low-maintenance gal so had to re-home it.

I found my sweet spot though when I got a vintage men’s cotton/silk crinkle scarf. They’re so easy to wear, light and already wrinkled! No maintenance necessary. To me, they’re a complete package. So my H lesson is not giving up and find what’s right for you.

I still love the H silk carres for their design and colours. I had gotten a few the past year so just gotta enjoy them more.
Oooh I’d have to check those out!

Finally, the pandemic has taught me the biggest lesson when it comes to H - everyday is an H day, do not keep the H stuff for special occasions - wearing H makes everyday a special day!
Bolded this because it is so so very true. Life is too short to not enjoy what you have! I have a Parchemin Ostrich B30 and a Terre Box K 32 that I've had at least since 2013. Barely carried because I felt they were "special" and needed an "occasion" to wear. Therefore was putting a lot more emphasis on my daily carry bags (which is fine as well). Thinking about how that's money tied up (err, wasted) and things not appreciated really forced me to change my mantra. Am currently carrying the Box K, and the Parchemin B is now in regular rotation. Otherwise, what's the point? It also helps me realize the following, by virtue of the fact that I now have a lot more bases covered than I thought when it comes to the "appropriate blend of bags I want in my life":

I do not need have bags that cover each possible size, style, color and leather to meet my needs. I actually had a color-coded spreadsheet with all acceptable (to me) colors covered for each style and size, as a goal. What in the heck was I thinking? I haven't bought a new H bag since 2016, and I certainly don't need any more. If one that fits a niche comes along (like a C18/24 or 24/24 or GP, none of which I currently own), that's just icing on the cake..

Other lessons:
After purchasing them twice and trying and giving up, I realize I am just not a twillies-on-the-handles girl.
PHW should not be the dealbreaker it has been in the past.
Mini bags are not for me.
I don't need more than 1 or 2 B35s as they are just too big/heavy for anything other than work or travel.

Great thread!

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
My lessons:

Don’t settle or accept a quota bag offer if the specs aren’t right for you. Especially for that first offer, it’s hard to say no but if your SA is actively offering you a quota bag, then the right specs is just a matter of time.

I love CSGM scarves but I find 140cm while beautiful is too hard to wear. I now stick to giant triangles and men large losanges which are much easier for styling.

H fine jewellery is really well made! Just because some use it for pre-spend and thus resale value is low doesn’t mean it’s not top quality. I love all my CDC pave bracelets and rose gold farandole, chain d’ancre and Kelly necklaces.

There’s this certain kaftan that I’m pretty sure is mostly sold in boutiques in the Middle East region, so its supposed to be oversized but I literally look like I’m wearing tent when I try it on :lol: and yet every single season I insist on trying it on because it always comes in beautiful colors but I never end up buying it!
We are ever hopeful I tell myself maybe this season it’ll be different!

Reactions: foxyqt
1. shocked by no 1, but I wear scarves -- but only with a black or white outfit (silk black button shirt and my scarf!) -- that being said, I do not need any more and I only have 4 silk scarves
2. stop it with the box leather because I will never ever take care of it! (I already have water damage (bubble) on new birkin-- and I am 4 box leather bags in (and just got another one last month)
3. Only, and I think we all know this, only buy what I love. don't be persuaded into buying houseware you will not need; I admire H RTW, but the fit doesn't work for me unless its a bespoke item.
4. I really don't use all my bags, I do not need more... its addictive and expensive. I am a jeans and Jysiperie/Evelyn weekend dresser.
5. DO NOT buy H fine jewelry--I have not yet (its just not my style- I struggle with the quality and lack of originality of most items)
6. if I see something, and I love it, buy it, I may never have the opportunity again.
7. I do not need another Birkin and I will never use a size smaller that 30.
8. Taking an H break is ok, its not a competition to have another bag (that I don't use much except for work)
I would love to know the four scarves and colourways you have. I only wear scarves with black, white or navy so this comment has really interested me!

Also, I was reminded of this today when I saw a beautiful lady walking across the street with a marble silk c24.

I regret not purchasing items that I felt were beautiful but I didn’t feel like my everyday style works with it. Mostly cuz I feel like being a Sahm, I have no cause for such beautiful pieces and I should stick to only durable basic pieces. But As my boy gets older I feel like why can’t I wear an exotic bag with jeans and tees?

Saaame with the Orans!! In Box leather, they could mould to your feet after a while, but in Epsom they are so painful :doh:
I have always wanted to be ”that cool girl” in the Orans. Lol! Alas, no. Will give Box a try if I ever see them.
It’s not you… Maybe it IS a tent.There is probably a whole line of H camping gear. Sleeping bag where you roll yourself up and fasten with sangles. S’mores skewers with little Chain d’ ancre on the ends.

Yes! I lusted after a Wallago Cabine ( and still do) - I like bags that you can put stuff in - anything under 35cm is just pointless for me

People don’t realize, I think, that when you unhook the little end clippies it stands up to a nice big tote bag. And it has feet, and a lock, and an exterior pocket. It even comes with a luggage tag. It actually has two outside pockets because the back zip slip pocket that goes over a luggage handle can be zipped at the bottom and it becomes a slip pocket. It’s a perfect travel bag, just a hair bigger than a B35 but still small enough that one could carry it around town and not look like one is carrying luggage. They are everywhere preowned for so cheap. I‘m tempted to get another one just to have a spare.

My lessons:
Buy what you will love, but it's okay if you fall out of love and rehome things. No need to wait for special occasions to use your H items. Life is short, so I make sure to wear something fabulous daily, whether it's H croc, VCA, or just glam sandals. The relationship with the SA matters more than pre-spend. These are all material things, and it shouldn't be stressful. You must have fun with it, or what is the point? It's okay to buy from reseller if you don't want to bother with the waiting game at the boutique.

People don’t realize, I think, that when you unhook the little end clippies it stands up to a nice big tote bag. And it has feet, and a lock, and an exterior pocket. It even comes with a luggage tag. It actually has two outside pockets because the back zip slip pocket that goes over a luggage handle can be zipped at the bottom and it becomes a slip pocket. It’s a perfect travel bag, just a hair bigger than a B35 but still small enough that one could carry it around town and not look like one is carrying luggage. They are everywhere preowned for so cheap. I‘m tempted to get another one just to have a spare.
Thank you for highlighting the wonderful details of the Wallago! I absolutely love mine - I remember traipsing all around London looking for a black one - before having to settle for a bleu nuit that I managed to get in Harrods. I planned to do a "thinner" version for my Horizon bag. One of H most practical, value-for-money, and well-designed bags, I think. I heavily rotate this with my GP36 and B35 as my tote bags.

I’ve never seen one, sounds like a great travel and work bag! Do you mind sharing photos