would you say overall, chanel handbags are more expensive than LV's?

I think there was a similar thread like this in the LV forum a few weeks ago and I'll say the same thing again.
A fair comparison can only be made by looking at similar materials and similar sized bags from both brands. Eg. Chanel's lambskin with LV's suhali. In this case, LV is actually slightly more expensive.
But if some of you do want to compare apples and oranges, we can indeed compare Chanel's leather to LV's canvas. The cost to produce a mono speedy is WAY less than that of the classic chanel flap bag which consists of about 185 steps to make. Let's say an average Chanel bag is 2000$, divide by 3 = 667$ which is about the price of a mono speedy. So if a mono speedy takes less than (185/3~) 62 steps to make, then LV's more expensive; whereas if it takes more than 62 steps, then Chanel is more expensive.
Personally, I doubt that a mono Speedy takes 62 steps to make because it's LV's most profitable bag and, in fact, I personally don't like the mono Speedy cuz I think it's rather cheap looking with its canvas lining.
So as you can all see, luxury is not about price because everyone can spin things in different directions and look at things from different perspectives and prove another person wrong. I consider luxury to be a personal LIKING of something, whether it's Chanel or LV, and being able to afford it regardless of its price.

Sorry about this comment but IMO,

Chanel
1. I feel older or more mature when I carry Chanel bag
2. less fashonable and more classic

vs.

LV

1. trendier, appeals to younger crowd (and young at heart)
2. fashion forward

Both are equally expensive and well known

I'm a Chanel and LV lover. There are some lovely classic LV styles so I disagree that everything is so trendy. I can't see myself with a multicolore or a graffiti. As for logos, I'm not so much into them, so I usually buy Epi, Nomade or Suahli. I do have a soft spot for the original LV monogram though.

Chanel is more expensive than LV, no doubt, but if I have to bring a bag travelling, the LV can sure take a beating and look fabulous. As much as I love Chanel, I will not expose it to anything more strenuous than the grocery (eeek! I can't imagine taking kids to the playground with my lambskin classic flap!).

Quality wise, I do think that both brands strive for excellence, but Chanel tends to look higher class and is more exclusive. Also, in py opinion, they have a higher quality of leather.

since my first posting, it appears that the responses to the OP is 50/50.

Perhaps the question can be re-asked in a different way because I dont automatically interpret the question as inferring LV's coated-canvas lines only (i.e. monogram & damier). I understood the OP to include all LV and all Chanel produced. If the OP specified a particular line of both designers then the question would be alot easier to answer, otherwise, I think it is just too broad of a question.

Well, I would say that, putting specific prices aside, the average person would think that Chanel is pricier than LV. If you think of the price of each bag sold, I am pretty sure that LV sells a lot more of the cheaper mono stuff. Thats why people assume that it's cheaper.

I don't really know if Chanel is more expensive. I mean both designers have starter bags that are less than $1,000.00. And I think on here, most people are comparing the bags that are at the lower end of the price spectrum. But when you go to the top of the spectrum, LV has a tiny clutch that retails for $300k+, so LV may be more expensive. And unlike Chanel, LV does not have outlets where merchandise is discounted.

I also don't think that Chanel is relatively more expensive than LV. LV has much more merchandise and much more variety of it. And I think that is done purposely so that all sorts of people of all ages will be able to afford and buy a LV product. LV seems to market to all to make their money, whereas Chanel seems to want a specific customer. If we are going to compare the two brands, then we need to compare similar products, like a leather bag with another leather bag. Of course a speedy is much less in price than a luxury bowler!

Price points are not subjective, they are what they are.

What is the most expensive bag that Chanel has in the line? That beautiful croc bag for $43,000? I would love to have that bag. It looked like matte croc.

It is subjective, it depends on one's choice of how to judge.

The way I work it out in my head may not be the same as everyone else.

I look at it as a whole and what's the best selling. . . there are more less expensive LV's purchased than Chanel's. . . to me, as a whole, LV seems to be less expensive.

If we added up all of LV's handbag sales for the year and divided it by the # sold, I think it would come out slightly less than if we did the same equation w/ Chanel . . . it's all how you choose to do the math.