would you say overall, chanel handbags are more expensive than LV's?

If you walk into LV with $1300 you can pretty much get any bag you want. If you walk into Chanel with $1300 your choices are very slim. So yes Chanel is more expensive :smile:

Liberté;1916435 said:
There was a thread about this last week I think, and no chanel is not more expensive materials taken into consideration, there was even someone in the old thread doing the maths. Most of chanel bags are more work than the canvas LV bags which are usually very simple.

My favorite SA at the boutique tells me that there are exactly 183 or 188 steps you have to take to create each Chanel med classic flap (the leather ones). Interesting.

Chanel is more expensive in that as said above, their starting prices are higher. Yet some of the more exclusive LVs can be more $$$ than Chanel. I love leather bags but I do love the LV coated canvas because it holds up really well! Better than some leathers. LV has a more casual look to me, which means I can wear them without thinking about what i am wearing. Chanels to me are a little dressier and traditional . . . LV has tons of accessories which is fun. LV teaming with Stephen Sprouse (graffitti) and Murakami to me showed alot of their artistic sense . . .

I think each company seems to be going towards the other . . . LV with more $$$ lines eg. ostrich, croc speedy and Chanel maybe still more pricey but definitely trying to appeal to a younger crowd eg. cabas, baby animals.

In my mind, even tho Chanel has overall more $$$ lines, I still see them all as equal competitors for the handbag market. I will buy both because I like variety.

Price wise, Chanel is a lot more expensive to get into... I was able to afford LV at a younger age since the canvas was much more affordable. But when you compare leather to leather, it's pretty comparable (but that being said, I'll take a Chanel any day over LV now!)

overall? Absolutely.
I think the reason LV appears to be more popular is
1] more affordable
2] more accessible - it's sold in WAY more places than Chanel and is available online where Chanel is not
3] there's a misconception that Chanel is boring and only Classic Flaps - Flaps arent' for everyone, so of someone thinks that all Chanel has, then they're lost.

These things make me happy:biggrin:

ITA with Swanky too! and now, that LV will be sold next year (i heard) in federated stores...................:shrugs:

i love denim bags, and really liked the LV logo denim, but since i see approx. 20 a day (real ones, don't know if they're knocking them off yet), can't wait to get my Chanel Coco Cabas denim...............or maybe will keep the Chanel denim i have since have never seen another like it ;)