Woody Allen's daughter details how she was sexually abused by him in the NYT

Either she is a liar who is trying to ruin his reputation or he's an abuser who has gotten away with it for years. Either way it's sad and I don't think we'll ever know the truth. My uncle was accused of abuse and it ruined his life and years later the victim admitted it was a lie. So I'm personally not comfortable labeling someone abuser right off the bat.

I'm not either............. and there is a third possibility, which is also very sad -- Dylan might genuinely believe that it happened, when it actually didn't.

I don't know - another issue I have with what Dylan said is that she said prosecutors found there was 'probable cause' to charge Allen, but Mia declined to pursue those charges because of the 'fragility of the child victim.' As a lawyer, though granted, not an American lawyer, I really have trouble believing that -- it shouldn't have been up to Mia to decide whether or not to 'pursue charges.' Prosecutors make that decision independently, depending on the merits of a case as well as other factors.

On the other hand, it is very difficult to convict sex offenders - especially in cases where children are the victims - partly because of evidentiary issues.

I didn't like that Daily Beast article - the author said that he doesn't like gossip and that he doesn't want to slam Mia, but ultimately he really ended up wallowing in the muck with the rest of them, flinging around unsubstantiated accusations and drawing unfounded conclusions. The author can't claim the high ground by saying he normally hates exactly what he ends up doing in the article (if that makes sense).

I don't think she will.

And as a mother, I can see how Mia would choose not to put her very young and allegedly abused child through a media circus and legal battle.

Good grief I CANNOT stand Alec Baldwin . . .

www.justjared.com
Cate Blanchett & Alec Baldwin Respond to Dylan Farrow's Open Letter

cate-blanchett-alec-baldwin-respond-to-dylan-farrows-open-letter.jpg

Cate Blanchett and Alec Baldwin have publicly responded to the open letter from Dylan Farrow accusing her adoptive father Woody Allen of sexual abuse.
In the letter, Dylan asks the actors “What if it had been your child?” Both Cate and Alec worked with the famous filmmaker on the Oscar-nominated movie Blue Jasmine.
“It’s obviously been a long and painful situation for the family and I hope they find some sort of resolution and peace,” Cate said according to journalist Jeffrey Wells.
“What the f&@% is wrong w u that u think we all need to b commenting on this family’s personal struggle? You are mistaken if you think there is a place for me, or any outsider, in this family’s issue,” Alec tweeted in response to a fan asking about the situation. “USA is supposed to be THE place where you get a fair trial. Can a fair trial be conducted w everyone’s tired opinions on the internet? Americans have fallen victim to a sanctimony about things they know little about. You don’t ‘defend’ either party. You defend due process.

I don't think she will.

And as a mother, I can see how Mia would choose not to put her very young and allegedly abused child through a media circus and legal battle.

The thing is - Mia would not have had that choice. Legally, it wouldn't have been up to her to make a decision for the prosecutors about criminal charges. Prosecutors do that independently.

ETA: I'm talking about criminal charges here, not civil sanctions.

Dylan Farrow 'Heartened' by Response After Woody Allen Allegations

dylan-farrow-300.jpg

Dylan Farrow and husband
Dylan Farrow stepped out of the shadows Saturday to detail the sexual abuse she allegedly suffered at the hands of adopted father Woody Allen two decades earlier.

A day later, the New York Times columnist who broke the story tells PEOPLE the young woman is now feeling encouraged by the supportive feedback that has been pouring in.

"She's really heartened by the response and support she's getting," Nicholas Kristof tells PEOPLE. (Kristof, a friend of Dylan's mother, Mia Farrow, and her brother, Ronan Farrow, first published excerpts of her open letter to Allen on Saturday.) "She sends a big thank you to all those speaking up about sexual abuse and trying to break the silence."

Now 28, married and living in Florida under a different name, Dylan took a huge step coming forward, says Kristof. "She was nervous about what the reaction would be to an essay so personal, but she put herself out there."

Dylan told Kristof she "has been traumatized for more than two decades by what took place" and was belatedly diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder just last year. Then, when she heard of the Golden Globe award being given to Allen, he writes: "She curled up in a ball on her bed, crying hysterically."

She first spoke in October about the abuse, but this new letter (published in full on Kristof's blog) provides harrowing details about what she claims secretly took place in the family's attic.

"[The assault was] far worse than people know," she wrote. "That he got away with what he did to me haunted me as I grew up. I was terrified of being touched by men. I developed an eating disorder. I began cutting myself."

Connecticut state's attorney Frank S. Maco announced in 1993 that while he found "probable cause" to prosecute Allen, he was dropping the case because Dylan was too "fragile" to deal with a trial.

Maco recently told PEOPLE that despite Dylan's recent openness, he stands by that decision. "I had to first and foremost consider the child."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20782530,00.html

I think it's disturbing that some would consider the possibility of Dylan making this up. The guy married his girlfriend's daughter for goodness sake. You have to wonder how and how long he had to manipulate that little girl for in order to convince her that it's ok to have an affair with her.adopted.dad. (Whatever you'd call him in this case. Heebie jeebies everywhere)

The thing is - Mia would not have had that choice. Legally, it wouldn't have been up to her to make a decision for the prosecutors about criminal charges. Prosecutors do that independently.

ETA: I'm talking about criminal charges here, not civil sanctions.
That's not exactly what I read… the authorities thought the child had been coached in her story because of all the inconsistencies.

Even if Mia convinced her, the child would be telling what she thinks is the truth, but it isn't the truth at all. So she's not lying, but it's not the truth either.

In any case, I remember the criminal investigation where it was determined he was not guilty and so he was never prosecuted.

Dylan Farrow 'Heartened' by Response After Woody Allen Allegations

Connecticut state's attorney Frank S. Maco announced in 1993 that while he found "probable cause" to prosecute Allen, he was dropping the case because Dylan was too "fragile" to deal with a trial.

Maco recently told PEOPLE that despite Dylan's recent openness, he stands by that decision. "I had to first and foremost consider the child."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20782530,00.html

Mac's statements make absolutely no sense to me.... In my jurisdiction (not the USA though), prosecutors consider two factors when deciding whether to prosecute - 1) Evidence - is there enough evidence for a reasonable probability of conviction? 2) public interest - is it in the public interest to prosecute?

In this case, if there was enough evidence to prosecute Allen, I should certainly think that Maco had an obligation to prosecute - there is a definite and serious public interest in attempting to protect other children from a sex abuser who would otherwise go free.

If there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute - perhaps because Dylan was too fragile to provide evidence credibly - then Maco needs to say that instead of trying to obtain a conviction of Allen in a court of public opinion.

I'm definitely not defending Allen but that is a photo of him with his daughter Bechet, not Soon-Yi when she was a child.

Oops! I had no idea as I got it from a google search.

I still don't buy what the article posted previously said (i.e. he had no contact with her in her childhood) because I think there would have to be some sort of connection (grooming, etc) in the first place for a relationship like this to come about. Grooming doesn't always mean physical/sexual abuse is involved. Plus Swanky already posted what seems to be an ancient photo of all of them together, so clearly they did spend time together as a family, and all of the BS that was written about him never being present is probably just the facts being skewed yet again.

There had to be some manipulation there for Soon-Yi to be okay with still seeing this man romantically even after he ended his relationship with her adoptive mother. It's not like they met 10 years later or were platonic for a very long time. He was present at a time when she was very easy to manipulate emotionally, so is it really a far stretch that there is something unethical going on here?

Last edited: