Will You be GIVING H Gifts this Holiday Season?

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
Inspired by thoughts I had here: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/how-did-you-first-hear-about-hermes.1063577/page-5

My very first H-piece, a CDC, was a gift, come to think of it, my second piece, a silk carré, was too.

I've often given H for birthdays, holidays and occasions, even before I took the plunge and bought for myself.

We're coming up-to Nov, so it's at this time of year I am thinking I need to buy appropriate presents when/where I see them so there's no panic later.

So far, this year I've bought:
A twilly (man)
A tie (man)
A bandanna 55 (woman)

I'm thinking H cosmetics and brushes/tools may make nice presents as well as soaps, fragrances and keychains.

Tips I'd like to suggest
1. (The most obvious). Don't hang around, buy if/when you see/available.
2. For seasoned H lovers, if you know someone's interested in something H already, check if they already bought. It may spill/spoil the surprise but not as disappointing than if they already got there first. Exchange is often a whole palaver.
3. Buy online if you can, you get a printed gift card and gift receipt. If early, you can collect in-store, send later, if nearer to the date you can send straight - again obvious, but a brilliant option if s/he/they other end of the same country (not sure if they live in another). You should check recipient's delivery prefs.
4. For cosmetics, know their default prefs for colours/category. High unlikely that someone who only ever wears mascara is going to start wearing a Rouge H lipstick just because it's H.
5. Every fragrance has a soap equivalent, all you have to do is find which H fragrance they wear (prefer) Done!
6. For H newbies, a little H goes a long way. Most people would rather have an Hermes lipstick than another brand's multi-bundle or an H tie rather than a suit from the high-street. It maybe the same price, but Hermes (for others) is not always the first thing they think of for themselves (sorry, for H-xplaining).
7. Presents are the reason H launches Bride de Gala #693837745 biannual reissues. It may be boring (for us) but when I asked a friend what he wanted, he chose a Bride de Gala scarf. Fact.
8. Obvious again, but remember to ask for separate gift-receipt(s) and extra orange bags if you're buying same time as other H in-store.
9. Don't forget the children or homeware dept. They have some forever gifts that someone may never buy themselves or for their kids.
9. Don't expect H in return :biggrin: although it would be nice :winkiss:

I know we mostly chat about things for ourselves, but will you be giving H for seasonal Holiday presents this year?
+
Do you have tips for tracking down and buying H gifts for your friends and loved ones (not saying you don't love your friends!)?

I purchased a men's T-shirt for my husband's birthday this year. He's a very practical and down to earth person- think Uniqlo tshirts and Levi's jeans. The T-shirt was something he would never buy for himself, but would appreciate using it. I might purchase more casual men's RTW for him for future milestone events.

Question for folks with longer H history: in your experience, what time of year would you say is best for shopping for ties, scarves (men and women), slgs and other first level merchandise for gift giving? November? December just before Christmas? Thanks in advance.

Inspired by thoughts I had here: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/how-did-you-first-hear-about-hermes.1063577/page-5

My very first H-piece, a CDC, was a gift, come to think of it, my second piece, a silk carré, was too.

I've often given H for birthdays, holidays and occasions, even before I took the plunge and bought for myself.

We're coming up-to Nov, so it's at this time of year I am thinking I need to buy appropriate presents when/where I see them so there's no panic later.

So far, this year I've bought:
A twilly (man)
A tie (man)
A bandanna 55 (woman)

I'm thinking H cosmetics and brushes/tools may make nice presents as well as soaps, fragrances and keychains.

Tips I'd like to suggest
1. (The most obvious). Don't hang around, buy if/when you see/available.
2. For seasoned H lovers, if you know someone's interested in something H already, check if they already bought. It may spill/spoil the surprise but not as disappointing than if they already got there first. Exchange is often a whole palaver.
3. Buy online if you can, you get a printed gift card and gift receipt. If early, you can collect in-store, send later, if nearer to the date you can send straight - again obvious, but a brilliant option if s/he/they other end of the same country (not sure if they live in another). You should check recipient's delivery prefs.
4. For cosmetics, know their default prefs for colours/category. High unlikely that someone who only ever wears mascara is going to start wearing a Rouge H lipstick just because it's H.
5. Every fragrance has a soap equivalent, all you have to do is find which H fragrance they wear (prefer) Done!
6. For H newbies, a little H goes a long way. Most people would rather have an Hermes lipstick than another brand's multi-bundle or an H tie rather than a suit from the high-street. It maybe the same price, but Hermes (for others) is not always the first thing they think of for themselves (sorry, for H-xplaining).
7. Presents are the reason H launches Bride de Gala #693837745 biannual reissues. It may be boring (for us) but when I asked a friend what he wanted, he chose a Bride de Gala scarf. Fact.
8. Obvious again, but remember to ask for separate gift-receipt(s) and extra orange bags if you're buying same time as other H in-store.
9. Don't forget the children or homeware dept. They have some forever gifts that someone may never buy themselves or for their kids.
9. Don't expect H in return :biggrin: although it would be nice :winkiss:

I know we mostly chat about things for ourselves, but will you be giving H for seasonal Holiday presents this year?
+
Do you have tips for tracking down and buying H gifts for your friends and loved ones (not saying you don't love your friends!)?
I keep thinking of the H magnifying glass/weight as a good gift for my mom and aunts. It’s either a great gift or completely useless; I cannot decide which lol. H used to make a tape measure bound in leather; that might be nice too. Thank you for reminding me :smile:

I keep thinking of the H magnifying glass/weight as a good gift for my mom and aunts. It’s either a great gift or completely useless; I cannot decide which lol. H used to make a tape measure bound in leather; that might be nice too. Thank you for reminding me :smile:
I gave the H magnifying glass that you can wear around your neck to my mom because she asked for one so she could read the menus in restaurants. But I never actually saw her use it :lol:

I did a pop up H book for my mom and a silk scarf. May add some lipsticks and perfume in her stocking too. My Mother in law, Father in law, sister, husband and dad could all care less about H or anything designer so I will def not do anything Hermes for them. Hubby may get a cologne but that’s about it lol

It's a wonderful gift for a stack of books for sure so it serves more than one purpose
The tape measure is lovely, too..

Possibly some fragrance for my mother and/or MIL. Neither are into designer, but both have commented on my (H) perfume within the last year.

My mom and I were in Sephora a few months ago and she mentioned she was looking for a new go-to fragrance and I always smell so good so she wanted to know who makes my perfume so she could get something similar. I steered her to the H fragrances and she thought she liked the new Ginger Twilly but was hoping to have a sample size so she could test out how it wears a bit. They don't do that at Sephora but the next time I had an appointment with my SA she gave me a few sample vials for my mom to try. So if she doesn't pick up her own bottle in the upcoming Sephora sale that could be on the list!

Earlier this summer my MIL said she loved my perfume (Un Jardin sur la Toite) and wanted to know what it was. She had absolutely never heard of H and DH trolled me a bit by saying "Oh, she means 'Her-meees'" when MIL was drawing a blank, though that still didn't ring a bell. :lol: One of many instances where she says she like something I have and wants something exactly like it :rolleyes: but makes holiday gift-giving a bit easier!

Wonderful idea for a thread -thank you @papertiger for starting. I adore H gifts - and they are always well received. In tne past, I bought scarves for my mother, agendas for my papa and various bits of fashion jewellery for my sister. I am now expanding to perfumes & lipsticks only for friends I really really like (LOL) I did not know that there is an H soap to match. Will look out for them.

Yes. I’ve been gifting H scarves and accessories to fam and friends for years, even when I wasn’t as big of a shopper. H scarves are especially timeless items I hope the recipient would cherish for years to come.

There was a funny story about gifting H though. My BFF and I have close bdays. Last year we happen to gift each other the SAME scarf in different colorways.