Will You be GIVING H Gifts this Holiday Season?

I have thought of gifting H shower gels and makeup, because l enjoyed using them. I would also personally love to receive H gifts. However, l saw a youtube video recently (asia based) which mentioned that the receiver might think you are buying these to help your prespend and giving them as gifts may seem insincere. It does sound a bit ridiculous but it did make me abit hesitant to buy H items as gifts, because there is some truth to it (at least in asia)
I think I will only give H gifts to people that are into H as well, enjoy their goods and purchase them on their own as well. Otherwise, if they are aware about the concept of birkin bait, I think they will just think you’re giving them things you don’t want. Jmo

I stock up on small H items as host gifts, not just at the holidays, but most often then. There's a stack of small orange boxes in my closet holding things like silk ornaments or the scented horse stationery - basically anything that will be useful/pretty/fun to someone who doesn't necessarily care about Hermès. petit h is definitely a great source.
I was brought up to never come to dinners or parties at a home empty-handed; everyone brings wine, so it's nice to change it up; and I got bored of giving candles, so this works. So far, everyone is thrilled because it's different but a teeny touch of luxury.

Otherwise, as "real" holiday gifts, if I see something at H that makes me think of a friend (their absolute favorite color or motif, say), I might pick it up. But generally I don't give Hermès gifts. I try to give things that are very personal, like art or something custom.

I don't think I know a single person who even knows what "Birkin bait" is (including people who carry H bags or wear scarves), so that's not a factor :lol:

I can’t find it online but I think I saw it at Madison a month ago.
I have one and LOVE it. I have not seen one BH since I bought it years ago, but I saw one at FSH in August. Be careful with the resale sites, I bought a fake one from Gilt, who sourced it from What Goes Around Comes Around with a letter of Authenticity. Because I already had a real one from the boutique, I was able to prove the one from Gilt was irrefutably fake, wrong measurements, thinner and just plain cheaper looking. Gilt refunded my money and let me keep the fake, which I gave to my housekeeper.

Possibly. I don't have that many gifts to give this year, and one of them is already picked out and decidedly not H. So for the remaining few gifts, I think it's just going to depend on whether or not I find what I want at H.

Love this thread and so funny just this morning on my way to work, I was thinking about what color nail polish I would get my sister in law as a stocking stuffer this year! (She collects nail polish.) Possibly some lip gloss for my other sisters in law as stocking stuffers. Last Christmas I got my MIL the pink robe legere scarf. This year I was thinking about getting my mom a giant triangle. I already got hubby a muffler. He never wants anything, so he usually ends up with some kind of winter gear, Star Wars gear, or football team gear. :smile:

• Love
Reactions: HolyC and 880
Are you thinking of the Oeil or the one that’s balanced on the cone? I have the Eye, but it’s not super useful.

Ooh is that wearable mag glass a current item? Can you please share a link if it is?
Oeil, if that’s the flat one . The one that’s balanced on a cone is gorgeous, but mom would lose the cone in a pile of paper :smile:

I want one of those for myself LOL. Good for checking/mending shawls.

Petit H used to do useful little things (and I mean besides charms and charms)

Don't forget horse combs in a leather case! I have one in RH. Also leather treasures and anatomises (the one thing I like in Epsom)
Hold on, horse combs? My horse needs a Christmas gift, too!

I mainly give books.
Which reminds me- there are wonderful, absolutely wonderful H books. The Hermes Cahiers by Philippe Dumas and whimsical little booklets with pop up scarves and illustrations by AC. Do they count as H gifts? When I get to Paris I always seek out the bookstore in rue de Sèvres but if you are lucky enough to live in Paris… at the moment I am looking for second hand books - they make the best stocking fillers. They show care and originality without embarrassing the recipient with very expensive gifts.
@horselove- I don’t know anyone in the Uk who worries or even knows anything about birkin bait - except maybe YouTubers and influencers. So if anyone wants to buy me H gifts I won’t be judging you..:biggrin:

Attachments

• 132793E6-61FC-4ACE-8F4A-D05B0DB820C0.png
    132793E6-61FC-4ACE-8F4A-D05B0DB820C0.png
    927.9 KB · Views: 34
  • DB32F16D-A971-42DC-B385-610A9C5DDBC3.png
    DB32F16D-A971-42DC-B385-610A9C5DDBC3.png
    862.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 4EDCCE58-BC07-433B-AC44-5EB965CB10B8.png
    4EDCCE58-BC07-433B-AC44-5EB965CB10B8.png
    243.1 KB · Views: 30
  • EFDD1AB3-0263-4139-ABC9-DBD1DE3FE19C.png
    EFDD1AB3-0263-4139-ABC9-DBD1DE3FE19C.png
    539.9 KB · Views: 32
I literally just logged on to crowdsource gift ideas as I'm headed to the store this afternoon to shop for a gift that needs to be sent across the country. Thanks for all the ideas. Can someone tell me more about the gift certificate option? When in store, do they do a nice presentation? I will say that I wish I could find more online as I would much prefer to ship through them but stock is so random. And I agree that I hate the 30 day exchange policy.
One more question about scarves: for those of you in hotter climates, do you think ppl actually use them??

Potentially! I found this beautiful scarf online - I thought it might be a really neat gift for my cousin who will be traveling to Australia for the first time next April. We'll see! :smile:

4c5b3dabf73937d613b05f8c2a756dea.jpg