Why are ferragamo bags so underrated?

When did "old, white" become a pejorative term. In 2018, I'd think we'd progressed beyond these stereotypes.
Agreed!

I'm definitely not white and hopefully at 34, I'm not considered old. I bought my first Ferragamo piece when I was in my early 20s and still love it now.

I think Ferragamo is for old men and old ladies. I would never buy anything from that brand. Not because the quality is bad (I'm sure it's decent), but because the brand itself screams "old white people."

Saying Ferragamo screams old and white is completely wrong and just down right rude.

When did "old, white" become a pejorative term. In 2018, I'd think we'd progressed beyond these stereotypes.
I believe that this person is just trying to stir up whatever drama they could find to entertain their boring lives. I just happened to come here because I'm eyeing one of Ferragamo's bags as well. Enjoy whatever you want; ya only live once! :smile: cheers!

I have two Ferragamo bags, love them! I also like the Gancini loafers, very comfortable, stylish and sturdy without looking like clod shoes. I have one belt, silver with a silver Gancini bit buckle. Chic! The brand may be a little less prestigious than, say, Gucci, but there's nothing wrong it. "Prestigious" isn't the right word either, but it doesn't get the hype that some other brands get. Maybe because its' target customers aren't necessarily in love with huge logos.

Reactions: baghabitz34
I believe that this person is just trying to stir up whatever drama they could find to entertain their boring lives. I just happened to come here because I'm eyeing one of Ferragamo's bags as well. Enjoy whatever you want; ya only live once! :smile: cheers!

Thank you - we prefer no drama here.

The topic of the thread is why is Ferragamo so underrated? I think it is because it has more of a quiet elegance. They don't yell at you from across the street. The styles have yo-yoed from classic and mature to hip and young. I'm sure a lot of thought goes into getting to their target market. I like all my Ferragamo bags, they are not flashy, and will always be in fashion. And for those of you who have snake or gator skin bags, there are only a few better as far as workmanship goes.

I read this comment in a completely different way. When we are talking about "timeless" and "elegance" and "luxury" it is a code word for affluent white people. It is not an inclusive vision.

Ferragamo is an "old guard" brand, and old guard typically means "old and white."

Is it pejorative? Maybe a little. But I'd rather open up a conversation on what luxury means, who it was for, who it is for, who it should be for, who aspires to it, who doesn't need to aspire, and what exactly are we aspiring to.

This is a question about why Ferragamo bags are underrated, and it is fair to consider who rated them highly, what they represent (represented) and if those values align with the values of the current buyers of luxury goods. Historical class and influence markers are a valid subject for this conversation.

This is a question about why Ferragamo bags are underrated, and it is fair to consider who rated them highly, what they represent (represented) and if those values align with the values of the current buyers of luxury goods. Historical class and influence markers are a valid subject for this conversation

Of course they are valid subjects for conversation. But the poster did go ahead and said the brand was for old and white. I could potentially argue the same could be applied for other brands too. Why Ferragamo is any different? it because the brand is not currently trendy? Ferragamo certainly still generates profit even though there are news about 'the brand not doing well'.

Offence was taken and rightfully so. Context matters too. It was not the first time this particular poster has posted about the subject. And Fabuleux's message is loud and clear. Ferragamo is outdated, targeted for white old men/woman and this person wouldn't get caught stepping into a Ferragamo store. It goes to show the narrowmindedness of the poster and the preconceptions that this person has about the brand.

The way I see it luxury consumers are nowdays diverse group of people with different backgrounds. More so then it has been in the past. It is true that luxury is not for anyone. Be it economic restrictions such as class (or class intersected with race, or any analytical categories) aspect could be considered. Or the fact that many, who do have the purchase power, don't see luxury items as necessities so they simply choose not to buy them.

I welcome healthy discussion. Our tastes are subjective with different requirements and needs in terms of our lifestyle. Others are certainly allowed to dislike the brand.

But I'd rather open up a conversation on what luxury means, who it was for, who it is for, who it should be for, who aspires to it, who doesn't need to aspire, and what exactly are we aspiring to.

You are more than welcome to open a new discussion thread about the topic. It would be best to do it in general discussion section rather than just in Ferragamo's subforum.

Last edited:
But why has Ferragamo remained an "old guard brand," while other brands, equally old guard in their day, broken out of that classification.

That is a good question. It still remains to be seen whether they will able to. I think they have broken out of 'old guard classification' in other parts of the world though. I am under the impession that the brand is more popular in some of the Asian countries such China. Japan, Singapore,South-Korea.

Last edited:
Well, I for one was so grateful that Ferragamo made my size in heels back in my 20s and early 30s when I was working, before becoming a stay at home mom. I have a AAA foot with a AAAA heel. No blisters, yay! My US size is 8S. In Ferragamo pumps, I’m a 9AAAA. I challenge anyone on this forum to find another brand of designer pumps (besides Stuart Weitzman) that will fit me. Ha ha, good luck with that one!

Reactions: lili45
I agree. Now Bottega used to be in the same boat, except they broke out of it this year by selling the pouch bag and giving it away to influencers.

THIS! I basically only use 3 brands of bag (Ferragamo, BV and Balenciaga, the non logoed one). and kinda sad to see these days only Ferragamo maintains the quiet aesthetic I fall in love with.

Ferragamo is a sleeper, the bags are quite affordable compared to lesser quality high end brands, stock up while you can before influencers knock them and the prices out of the stratosphere. I think they have some young styles and some classical styles with a good merchandising mix. I think the shoes do steer the ship to to speak but their bags may be on the rise.