Who are you - stylewise?

It is very cool that you gave yourself permission to go all the way with your style and weave it through your life. It seems both authentic and aspirational at the same time. It must be exciting to think of new ways to be more you in your life. I’d be interested if you want to share, about how your style pulls you forward toward your big dreams.
Wow, fascinating question!

In one regard my style is actually what has set the course for my career (architect). So that’s an easy connect the dots.

But thinking about it further, I see how it’s influenced other positive areas of my life. I think my style is very “sharp/hard/angular”. Figuratively and literally speaking. As for my diet and excerise regime, I weight train very hard and eat mainly a “body builders” diet. I think it’s extreme in its toughness, akin to my aesthetic. I like sculpting clean lines, even in terms of my body. I think it aligns with the clothes I wear.

Very interesting that my style has propelled my lifestyle as well! Hadn’t put much thought into that until you prompted me!

Last edited:
I envy that you can do that. When there are other members in the household with different opinions it is not easy. DH and I moved in together and I threw out almost all my stuff. Just a few weeks ago I realized, how much I miss certain items. My plan is now to style my home office exactly the way I want it.

Love that! Yay you! I think it makes a much sexier relationship if you both have room to be yourselves. If he is a little bit country and you are a little bit rock and roll (to paraphrase an old Donnie and Marie song) that’s super cool. Especially if you can just let each other be and enjoy what each of you bring. If he gets bossy, just laugh and give him a kiss. Men adore happy women. That is the number 1 thing. If he sees you grooving along being happy, that will make him happy.

I envy that you can do that. When there are other members in the household with different opinions it is not easy. DH and I moved in together and I threw out almost all my stuff. Just a few weeks ago I realized, how much I miss certain items. My plan is now to style my home office exactly the way I want it.
Yes, I can imagine it’s much more difficult when you have to take others’ taste into account. I think having a space that’s fully yours is the perfect solution. It will make you feel very much you! Good luck, and have an incredible time styling your office!

Wow, fascinating question!

In one regard my style is actually what has set the course for my career (architect). So that’s an easy connect the dots.

But thinking about it further, I see how it’s influenced other positive areas of my life. I think my style is very “sharp/hard/angular”. Figuratively and literally speaking. As for my diet and excerise regime, I weight train very hard and eat mainly a “body builders” diet. I think it’s extreme in its toughness, akin to my aesthetic. I like sculpting clean lines, even in terms of my body. I think it’s aligns with the clothes I wear.

Very interesting that my style has propelled my lifestyle as well! Hadn’t put much thought into that until you prompted me!

So interesting! :heart:

I remember an interview with Audrey Hepburn and she was talking about Funny Face, the movie and how she got into a big fight about the color of socks she should wear for her all-black dance scene with Fred in the coffee house/bar. She was clearly very into and aware of “line.” She was upset that the white socks ruined the line of her dance. I don’t know why I’m telling you this, lol! Just made me remember. In the end she did say she was happy that they were right and that the socks allowed you to see her foot movement more.

So interesting! :heart:

I remember an interview with Audrey Hepburn and she was talking about Funny Face, the movie and how she got into a big fight about the color of socks she should wear for her all-black dance scene with Fred in the coffee house/bar. She was clearly very into and aware of “line.” She was upset that the white socks ruined the line of her dance. I don’t know why I’m telling you this, lol! Just made me remember. In the end she did say she was happy that they were right and that the socks allowed you to see her foot movement more.
Love that anecdote! This makes so much sense. Being extremely hyper aware and self-conscious usually comes with a negative connotation. Sometimes it’s positive- knowing precisely what and how you want to present.

Reactions: Etriers
I need to look at that book again. I’m not sure I ever figured out my SS. Some words are so similar. I would choose a word and be sure it was right, but then read another definition and think, No, wait! It’s this one.
Most people are not 100% one thing.
So, it makes sense that you are not able to choose only one word, to describe you best, imho. And Thankfully, how boring to be reduced to one epithet.

Reactions: MahaM
I like this thread.
I have no idea why I’m someone in my head : structured, mix of feminine and masculine, put together, creative, urban style. Tailored and pumps. Good statement accessories.
And in reality : mix of feminine and masculine but completely sports style...jeans and trainers. No accessories whatsoever.
Im letting myself down. I need to live my best life after this pandemic.
As for my interior I prefer neutral minimalist, Muji is my heaven. But I want to mix in a few pieces from mid century design. Very Scandinavian. (I only miss not having a baroque boudoir chic bedroom. In my dreams)

I just ordered the Change Your Clothes, Change Your Life book by George Brescia. (Used copy) I noticed there is another version coming out in August 2020? Called Change Your Clothes, Change Your Life: Because You're Worth It.

I've read this thread all the way through, and also the other one about books about style (thanks @JenJBS !)

Before the pandemic, I sold all my luxury bags because I thought I wanted to start buying Hermes bags. I went out and got myself an Evelyne that I haven't used at all because of the quarantine. I feel that I'm constantly searching for the next bag...but at this point, I've bought and sold so many that getting a new bag isn't that exciting anymore. I'm starting to think that instead of buying more bags with my newfound money, I should explore who I am first. Honestly, I do not know. I don't have Instagram; maybe I should make an account to start browsing pictures of people? I feel like my wardrobe is a reflection of my confusion in identity. Just a jumble of things that I don't really care for.

So, I think that perhaps I ought to use the rest of the money to build/re-build a wardrobe. I hope the book will help me.

I just ordered the Change Your Clothes, Change Your Life book by George Brescia. (Used copy) I noticed there is another version coming out in August 2020? Called Change Your Clothes, Change Your Life: Because You're Worth It.

I've read this thread all the way through, and also the other one about books about style (thanks @JenJBS !)

Before the pandemic, I sold all my luxury bags because I thought I wanted to start buying Hermes bags. I went out and got myself an Evelyne that I haven't used at all because of the quarantine. I feel that I'm constantly searching for the next bag...but at this point, I've bought and sold so many that getting a new bag isn't that exciting anymore. I'm starting to think that instead of buying more bags with my newfound money, I should explore who I am first. Honestly, I do not know. I don't have Instagram; maybe I should make an account to start browsing pictures of people? I feel like my wardrobe is a reflection of my confusion in identity. Just a jumble of things that I don't really care for.

So, I think that perhaps I ought to use the rest of the money to build/re-build a wardrobe. I hope the book will help me.
Do you use pinterest? It may be better for finding some style inspiration :smile:

This Global pandemic has forced me into a lounge wear kind of girl, which I never was before! Yikes. But in all seriousness, I am feeling like I need some style inspiration. Can anyone recommend some cool style blogs for fashionable 40 year olds?

Reactions: JenJBS
Re-reading The Curated Closet today, and found this list of questions to consider when determining your personal style.

What's the name of your personal style?
In one or two sentences what's the overall idea behind your style?
What does a typical outfit in this style look like?
What does this style say about its wearer?
What three character qualities does it convey?
What are the key pieces of this style?
What are the dominant colors?
What silhouettes, cuts, and fits are part of this style?
What type of materials and fabrics work well with this style?
What does the styling look like? (accessories, styling techniques, hair, make up)