Who are you - stylewise?

I thought I'd add some pictures that inspired me. I still have two main problems.
One: All those pictures with wide-legged pants are worn with heels or by supermodels. I can't wear heels all day. Is this a no-go for those pants?
Two: all summer pants you can buy now are either pleated or the have a paperbag style. I can't find pants that are plain.
32206d8f76f8007afed064942437a296.jpg

c65ffcabc99b210a595c2903f9ab7036.jpg

6b1f3f667325751ad8b7aacd0b7ad378.jpg

In 2017 I had a complete style shift. I’ve spoken about heading towards minimalism in other threads which sort of applies. But I remember specifically what caused the shift. I was vacillating about what I should wear for a Valentines dinner out. I was looking at the standby red lace dress. And I. was. so. bored. I thought to myself- what would be sort of an anti-valentines look? Not so much to be different for the hell of it. But rather, I couldn’t spend another traditional night, in a traditional French restaurant, in a traditional red lace dress.

I thought to myself, a tuxedo would be perfect. I was always inspired by Nan Kempner’s Saint Laurent Le Smoking story (she took off her trousers and used the tuxedo jacket as a dress when NYC restaurant Le Côte Basque told her women weren’t allowed in while wearing men’s trousers).

Also (very polarizing) I was seeing this minimal menswear done in an updated sexy way by Kim Kardashian. Usually her style is not my cup of tea, but 2017 aligned with my taste. And like an above poster mentioned, Blake Lively’s character in a Simple Favor did some amazing menswear looks.

That night I felt the most me I’ve ever felt. From then on, I dropped color/pattern and a lot of my previous girly looks. It’s cool neutral tones, and much more androgynous sleek.

I’ll post photos of the inspiration, as well as my closet. Also a more detailed look at my pieces if you’re interested:

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/enter-the-void.1012370/
I love your closet and your inspiration - right up my alley. I’m also not a huge Kim style fan but that suit is to die for. I knew it was Tom Ford even though, seeing that she was at a Gucci event in 2017 was confusing. I looked it up and, she was wearing vintage Gucci. Even better. I am obsessed with Tom Ford LOL; anyway, reading your post was good for me! Your inspirational photos helped me identify a very important factor in my style. I mean you would see it if you looked in my closet, I have so many black jackets it’s not funny and I just ordered another one. How do you feel about Saint Laurent in recent years?

Reactions: Aerdem
I love your closet and your inspiration - right up my alley. I’m also not a huge Kim style fan but that suit is to die for. I knew it was Tom Ford even though, seeing that she was at a Gucci event in 2017 was confusing. I looked it up and, she was wearing vintage Gucci. Even better. I am obsessed with Tom Ford LOL; anyway, reading your post was good for me! Your inspirational photos helped me identify a very important factor in my style. I mean you would see it if you looked in my closet, I have so many black jackets it’s not funny and I just ordered another one. How do you feel about Saint Laurent in recent years?
I’m so flattered by your post! I’ve definitely identified my own style by noticing what I gravitate towards in others’- I think it’s a really significant tool.

Saint Laurent is either hit or miss for me. The past few seasons there has been a heavy emphasis on sleek “men’s inspired” (so ME) and very rocker bohemian (chic- but not me). The fall 2019 show had a cleaner feel, while the 2020 show was heavy on sequins. I tend to lean cleaner. I’ll post examples of all!

Attachments

• 3FBF5FB2-6818-4AA3-80A7-8604439C1818.jpeg
    3FBF5FB2-6818-4AA3-80A7-8604439C1818.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 82
  • B913CE5E-890A-411E-ABDD-D931B0E5F3A5.jpeg
    B913CE5E-890A-411E-ABDD-D931B0E5F3A5.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 83
  • C7339EDB-D192-462E-941E-9386A24A0BA6.jpeg
    C7339EDB-D192-462E-941E-9386A24A0BA6.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 855BBE89-34CD-423E-A80C-454649E98F2D.jpeg
    855BBE89-34CD-423E-A80C-454649E98F2D.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 81
  • C539826A-E3B9-47C7-B3EE-A489A0A5FF2D.jpeg
    C539826A-E3B9-47C7-B3EE-A489A0A5FF2D.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: keodi and limom
I’m so flattered by your post! I’ve definitely identified my own style by noticing what I gravitate towards in others’- I think it’s a really significant tool.

Saint Laurent is either hit or miss for me. The past few seasons there has been a heavy emphasis on sleek “men’s inspired” (so ME) and very rocker bohemian (chic- but not me). The fall 2019 show had a cleaner feel, while the 2020 show was heavy on sequins. I tend to lean cleaner. I’ll post examples of all!

Me too, exactly. I’m obsessed with the jackets, hats, and those high waisted pants. I bought the black satin pleated ones, but returned them because of the way they pooched out when I sat down :-s

Reactions: Aerdem
Finally finished tweaking/updating this...
Can't think of a name for my style. Any suggestions?

Name: ???

Overall Idea: Always appropriate, never stuffy. Basic, not boring. A little bit of glamour, or whimsy, goes a long way. Feminine, but not ‘girly’ or ‘romantic’ - tight enough to show you're a woman, loose enough to show you're a lady.

Adjectives: Elegant. Comfortable. Feminine. Signature. Playful.

Clothes: Jeans, corduroys, and black pants. Fairly basic tops, preferably with some interesting detail. Solid color pants with a black top. Fitted tee-shirts with flowing maxi-skirts. Sheath/shift dresses. Solid colors more than patterns/prints.

Shoes: High heels for dressing up. Black ballet flats in the summer, or heeled black booties for winter.

Accessories: Designer purses. Designer sunglasses (Balenciaga, Guess, Tiffany, Michael Kors). Favorite jewelry pieces - local craftsman, Alex and Ani, small jewelry companies. Variety of jackets/coats. Duster length jackets.

Clothing brands: White House Black Market. Banana Republic. Loft. Ann Taylor. J Jill. Tommy Hilfiger.

Natural make up look. Low maintenance hair style - bob, lob, or long pixie.

I may or may not be having a fashion identity crisis with this skirt.

I can't decide if it aligns with my Emily Nelson perfect housewife in a dress, tulle petticoat, and ombre CL heels (definitely not wearing those ever), or if its just too mad.

image2.jpegimage3.jpeg

For reference, here is Blair Eadie just rocking it:

IMG_4519.JPGIMG_4520.JPG

Added bonus: it was on major sale.

Potentially clouding my judgment: I've been living in sweats and Birkenstocks since mid-March.

Last edited:
I may or may not be having a fashion identity crisis with this skirt.

I can't decide if it aligns with my Emily Nelson perfect housewife in a dress, tulle petticoat, and ombre CL heels (definitely not wearing those ever), or if its just too mad.

View attachment 4760702View attachment 4760701

For reference, here is Blair Eadie just rocking it:

View attachment 4760710View attachment 4760711

Added bonus: it was on major sale.

Potentially clouding my judgment: I've been living in sweats and Birkenstocks since mid-March.

It is certainly statement making! I think it needs a pair of heels, and if I can be so bold I think yours needs to be straightened out with a steaming :smile: it might be a bit mad with the sequin top, I should let the skirt shine and try it with a more simple top, like a white button front? I really do like it. Perfect for PRIDE!!

Reactions: 880 and keodi
I would say my personal style is eclectic I’m drawn to classic silhouettes, but I like the romantic blouses, lace and feminime skirts and/or dresses, edgy leather jacket, Rocher-chic accessories, Striped top, boho/ arty chic accessories for example a sterling silver boho necklace I bought on my last trip to Paris, or my Elsa Peretti small bone cuff for example.

My wardrobe like @Style_Baby, is determined by my budget. I have a category rating system in which I save up for long term and short term items in my wardrobe. I buy the best quality I can afford, within my budget.

Places that I like to shop: Thrifting, Ebay, Etsy, second hand consignment shops, Nordstrom, Armour lux for my stripes tops, Sezanne for hose romantic/boho blouses, Eileen fisher-most times second hand or sale, and Jcrew. I have found some really items shopping second hand, a Chanel jacket, and cardigan, Chanel dress etc..The last few years I really honed in on my personal style, and made an effort to reduce my carbon footprint, shop from brands that are ethical, and small business owners.

My colors : I was always drawn to “Winter” colours, then when Quarantine happened, I decided to get my colours professionally done. The results were surprising, but also confirmed what I long suspected. I was classified as a winter, so deep colours. My colour palette is as follows My neutrals, before and after getting my colours done were white, ivory, gray, black and navy. My accent colours are cobalt and red-Summer months, and in the winter months I like magenta, purples and teal. My patterns are stripes, and a cheetah print skirt I own, other than that I shy away from prints. I find that my wardrobe is more cohesive and everything goes with everything else.

Shapes/Silhouettes - I am a size 14, medium height , with an hourglass figure so I’m proportioned on top and bottom. I find the following silhouettes work on my body.

Jeans/ trousers – bootcut, straight leg, and wide leg for both jeans and trousers.
Dresses -Sheath dress, form fitting (body con),
Skirts -Pencil, bias cut, A-line, flare, and full circle.

Tops- Boat neck, U neck, and V-neck.

Accessories -

Jewelry-I have always been drawn to white gold, platinum, and sterling silver, and I wear those metals majority of the year. My gold jewelry I wear in the summer months. I do have a few gold pieces, to include a gold necklace with a green jade pendant inherited from my mom , and grandmother. My earrings are simple studs in various metals, gold, white gold pearls, and diamonds. I’m not a fan or hoops or tiered earrings of any kind. Bangles, I own a pair of gold bangles that once belonged to my second great grandmother, Tiffany & co Elsa Peretti bone cuff, David Yurman 5mm cable bangles which I wear most days. For necklaces I own a few tiffany & Co pieces, to include a lariat necklace, Sterling silver bean and a platinum diamond cross. I own a beautiful boho-ish daggered necklace, I love I rotate that often, and a fun name plate necklace in yellow gold my aunt purchased for me many years ago, I recently ordered a white gold version. For watches, I own a sporty watch for day and for evenings I have a tank style watch. I have several costume jewelry pieces from Hermes CDCs, a Rivale, very rocker chic!

Scarves- I’m obsessed! Hermes, I usually get lucky with the French sales twice a year along with great finds from consignment shops authenticated of course!, and if budget permits, I may get a scarf or two full price if I’m in love with a design and FOMO. I own some Nordstrom tissue weight silk/cashmere in solid colours, and last not least I love Brora cashmere scarves which I usually get lucky during their summer and winter sales. Brora scarves are very , very warm, a must for the harsh winters.

Bags (like @Style_Baby are one of my favourites!) The bag that bought me to this forum was the Balenciaga City/First in 2006. I was obsessed, during my 14 year tenure on TPF, I loved Balenciaga (still do, I re-purchased the first style very recently from a second website for a bargain!), I got into Chanel, Louis Vuitton, and then, 10 years into TPF, I won a vintage Kelly in immaculate condition at an auction, and I was in awe of the quality. Needless to say, I was hooked! I sold off most of my bags with the exception of my LV Neverfull, and my coach bag I purchased as a teen, and I got an Hermes Trim I, Hermes Double sens, a Birkin, and I plan to add an Evelyne a crossbody later down the year. Long term, I'd love to get an Hermes vintage faco clutch @papiertiger Each piece are very classic, timeless. I have the Balenciaga first bag, and I’ll probably get a city from the early days if I can find one in good condition.

Shoes- Favourite brands LK bennett for pumps, flats, and a few plat forms, Stuart Weitzman, Manolo Blahnik (purchased from consignment, and ebay.) Clarks, and Castiner for espadrilles. Hermes slides when budget permits. a few years ago, I bought Christian Louboutins but no longer!

Makeup/skincare – I am a skincare junkie, for makeup, I like a very natural look, for every day. Tinted moisturizer, blush, liquid highlighter more natural looking, mascara, lipstick or gloss, and eyeshadow in neutral colours. For evening looks I will do a smoky eye but nude lips.

I know I wrote a novel, but I keep it simple. Before doing capsule wardrobes to figure out my style, I felt lost, but now it feels right, I don't feel like i'm wearing a costume.

I would say my personal style is eclectic I’m drawn to classic silhouettes, but I like the romantic blouses, lace and feminime skirts and/or dresses, edgy leather jacket, Rocher-chic accessories, Striped top, boho/ arty chic accessories for example a sterling silver boho necklace I bought on my last trip to Paris, or my Elsa Peretti small bone cuff for example.

My wardrobe like @Style_Baby, is determined by my budget. I have a category rating system in which I save up for long term and short term items in my wardrobe. I buy the best quality I can afford, within my budget.

Places that I like to shop: Thrifting, Ebay, Etsy, second hand consignment shops, Nordstrom, Armour lux for my stripes tops, Sezanne for hose romantic/boho blouses, Eileen fisher-most times second hand or sale, and Jcrew. I have found some really items shopping second hand, a Chanel jacket, and cardigan, Chanel dress etc..The last few years I really honed in on my personal style, and made an effort to reduce my carbon footprint, shop from brands that are ethical, and small business owners.

My colors : I was always drawn to “Winter” colours, then when Quarantine happened, I decided to get my colours professionally done. The results were surprising, but also confirmed what I long suspected. I was classified as a winter, so deep colours. My colour palette is as follows My neutrals, before and after getting my colours done were white, ivory, gray, black and navy. My accent colours are cobalt and red-Summer months, and in the winter months I like magenta, purples and teal. My patterns are stripes, and a cheetah print skirt I own, other than that I shy away from prints. I find that my wardrobe is more cohesive and everything goes with everything else.

Shapes/Silhouettes - I am a size 14, medium height , with an hourglass figure so I’m proportioned on top and bottom. I find the following silhouettes work on my body.

Jeans/ trousers – bootcut, straight leg, and wide leg for both jeans and trousers.
Dresses -Sheath dress, form fitting (body con),
Skirts -Pencil, bias cut, A-line, flare, and full circle.

Tops- Boat neck, U neck, and V-neck.

Accessories -

Jewelry-I have always been drawn to white gold, platinum, and sterling silver, and I wear those metals majority of the year. My gold jewelry I wear in the summer months. I do have a few gold pieces, to include a gold necklace with a green jade pendant inherited from my mom , and grandmother. My earrings are simple studs in various metals, gold, white gold pearls, and diamonds. I’m not a fan or hoops or tiered earrings of any kind. Bangles, I own a pair of gold bangles that once belonged to my second great grandmother, Tiffany & co Elsa Peretti bone cuff, David Yurman 5mm cable bangles which I wear most days. For necklaces I own a few tiffany & Co pieces, to include a lariat necklace, Sterling silver bean and a platinum diamond cross. I own a beautiful boho-ish daggered necklace, I love I rotate that often, and a fun name plate necklace in yellow gold my aunt purchased for me many years ago, I recently ordered a white gold version. For watches, I own a sporty watch for day and for evenings I have a tank style watch. I have several costume jewelry pieces from Hermes CDCs, a Rivale, very rocker chic!

Scarves- I’m obsessed! Hermes, I usually get lucky with the French sales twice a year along with great finds from consignment shops authenticated of course!, and if budget permits, I may get a scarf or two full price if I’m in love with a design and FOMO. I own some Nordstrom tissue weight silk/cashmere in solid colours, and last not least I love Brora cashmere scarves which I usually get lucky during their summer and winter sales. Brora scarves are very , very warm, a must for the harsh winters.

Bags (like @Style_Baby are one of my favourites!) The bag that bought me to this forum was the Balenciaga City/First in 2006. I was obsessed, during my 14 year tenure on TPF, I loved Balenciaga (still do, I re-purchased the first style very recently from a second website for a bargain!), I got into Chanel, Louis Vuitton, and then, 10 years into TPF, I won a vintage Kelly in immaculate condition at an auction, and I was in awe of the quality. Needless to say, I was hooked! I sold off most of my bags with the exception of my LV Neverfull, and my coach bag I purchased as a teen, and I got an Hermes Trim I, Hermes Double sens, a Birkin, and I plan to add an Evelyne a crossbody later down the year. Long term, I'd love to get an Hermes vintage faco clutch @papiertiger Each piece are very classic, timeless. I have the Balenciaga first bag, and I’ll probably get a city from the early days if I can find one in good condition.

Shoes- Favourite brands LK bennett for pumps, flats, and a few plat forms, Stuart Weitzman, Manolo Blahnik (purchased from consignment, and ebay.) Clarks, and Castiner for espadrilles. Hermes slides when budget permits. a few years ago, I bought Christian Louboutins but no longer!

Makeup/skincare – I am a skincare junkie, for makeup, I like a very natural look, for every day. Tinted moisturizer, blush, liquid highlighter more natural looking, mascara, lipstick or gloss, and eyeshadow in neutral colours. For evening looks I will do a smoky eye but nude lips.

I know I wrote a novel, but I keep it simple. Before doing capsule wardrobes to figure out my style, I felt lost, but now it feels right, I don't feel like i'm wearing a costume. I don't follow trends like a slave to fashion, at least thats how I felt anyway.

Where did you get your colours done? I'd love to do the same!

Where did you get your colours done? I'd love to do the same!
the first link is the service I paid for out of pocket, the consultant is located in Canada. She asked for ever detailed photos to include close up eye colour photos. I was pleased and happy with my results. I received a detailed report based of the package I chose.
The second service was a gift from my mom. The this service was on the pricer side, honestly I would not have used this service if it was not a gift, as it was pricey. This service is located in the UK, the results were very detailed, the colour consultant was very easier to work with, and my the results were the same for me with this service, true winter.

the first link is the service I paid for out of pocket, the consultant is located in Canada. She asked for ever detailed photos to include close up eye colour photos. I was pleased and happy with my results. I received a detailed report based of the package I chose.
The second service was a gift from my mom. The this service was on the pricer side, honestly I would not have used this service if it was not a gift, as it was pricey. This service is located in the UK, the results were very detailed, the colour consultant was very easier to work with, and my the results were the same for me with this service, true winter.
Thank you for the links!

I have to say, that my style has changed due to corona. I don't go out that much, I had no professional occasions except all those video conferences. So I mostly wfh. I bought some of the things I wanted from my wishlist (wide legged linen pant, sleeveless knitted top) but I sent them all back, because they are dry-clean only. I now feel more playful - skirts, sandro dresses and I am searching for a great chino.