Who are you - stylewise?

I've changed quite a lot since my early 20s to now! It took me a while to get comfortable with my body and figure out what cuts looked good on me (I'm 5"3', petite, and average weight, but I don't have much curves). I think the one thing that's stayed consistent is my general clothing color palette (dark neutrals that include gray, blue, black with pops of color here and here) and shoe preferences (sneakers/flats). I don't really like to wear dresses or skirts, but I've tried to this past year and I'm getting more comfortable looking more feminine.

I think I was really influenced style wise when I studied abroad in Oxford, England and traveled around Europe. I like a casual, tailored look for work so I wear a lot of button downs, structured coats and jackets, and slim/skinny pants. Since I live in Seoul now, I try to dress with more stylish touches like a printed blouse or some jewelry.

On the weekends, it's usually sweatshirts and sweaters with a printed t-shirt. I think that's the L.A. side of me where I just want to be comfortable and look nonchalant cool lol.

In my early to mid teenage years I dressed mostly from the boys/mens sections in stores and wore a lot of band merchandise (metalhead).
Then I went through a pretty awkward time from late teenage years to about 22 mostly trying to adapt to how 'normal', traditionally feminine women dress. And once I kind of got the hang of that and was starting to make a little more money I invested in some 7 for all Mankind jeans, designer bags and heels, and shopped at Banana Republic and White House Black Market.
Then sometime last year I felt nostalgic for my old band merchandise and unisex clothes so I started to revert back to my 'roots'. I think this also comes from my exhaustion from being cat called and sexually harassed by men in NYC. I wear scrubs to work so my wardrobe can look however I want it to - and if it means I'm a little more comfortable and I get a little less sexual attention, that's a bonus.
Now I am 30 and somewhere between the two. I have some nice quality jewelry, shoes and boots, clothes, and outerwear - mostly unisex. And an extensive metal tee shirt collection that makes me very happy.

My style has actually remained the same for years. I have to dress for my body type. Dresses are the easiest for me to wear, but I’ve worked hard to figure out which pant silhouettes and shapes work too. I love the way a jacket can hide figure issues and streamline a look. And, I collect coats, mainly those with structure. But, I also just want to have fun with fashion. Express myself with it, mix it up. . .

I’m short, but not petite proportion, with a relatively big shoulder cap, larger waist and longer torso for my size. I have muscular calves and ankles so cannot wear knee high boots, mid calf boots And some ankle straps. Pants can be problematic (too flowing and I look like a mushroom; too pegged and they squeeze my calves; too cropped and its like an arrow points to my butt. certain designers work for me: shorter Chanel or issey miyake jackets give me more of a waist and slim down the arms (once I have the tailor dexonstruct the shoulder and armhole). brunello cuchinelli pants (also rivamonte, gunex, Luciano Barbara, rubinacci, old ungaro and givenchy work. A line dresses (carolina Herrera, Chanel, Akris) fit me too. When I’m on the thin side, YSL, Gucci and Dolce skirts work well. I love dead stock vintage Pucci, Norman norell, Donald brooks, Adele Simpson, Catherine Regher, and others. Best sweaters range from valentino to John Smedley. I think my favorite denim was dolce and gabbana from the 1990s; etro; and currently (until they went out of business) 3x1.

Ive been buying RTW since 1989 and probably bought the most from 1996-2012. I rotate my clothes so even pieces from thirty years ago are still in good condition today. IMO, bags, shoes and accessories, as much as I love them, are secondary to clothes. I purge the closet constantly and since my mom, three aunts and cousins all shop, we have a continual flow in and out. My latest RTW purchase is a Norman Norell grey twill coat. In great condition With my favorite collar — exaggerated — that minimizes the shoulder and slims the arm. IMO even non designer clothing from the 1960s ans 1970s was just made better than stuff today. I love vintage schiavone ferragamo (Ferragamos sister) shoes, but it was too hard to get new dead stock in my size. . .

someone on this thread mentioned that they couldn’t find flattering flat front pants. I recommend a bridge designer or secondary designer like lafayette, theory, piazza sempione. . . All of which go on sale at department stores. IMO, to be well dressed, it’s helpful to cultivate good relationships with your tailor and your cobbler, and possibly your jeweler. Actually, also your hairdresser. By good relationship, I mean, a trusted professional Who will tell you when your idea of what is stylish will never work for you IRL
Yes it takes a lot of time and years to figure out who you are, what fits your silhouette, while being occasion/weather appropriate...
I grew up in the 90s where while clothes were more androgenous, so were the ideal body types so I hated my curvy hips.
I figured with a pear shape I need A line skirts, pencil skirts only if they fall below the knee, carrot/cigarette trousers, and a slightly oversized top (blazers, pullovers, shirts)
Apart from when I was an arty teenager dreaming of grunge and woodstock alltogether, I have tended to go towards structured, minimalist, mixed smart/casual, feminine but creative/quirky looks.
But actually IRL I think I look either classic or too sporty casual because practical wins....

Style is about who we are, and amplifying who we are to the world. It derives from the lines and shapes of our body, our face, our coloring, along with our personality, essence, our lifestyle and our dreams. It’s a journey for a lot of people to figure this out and it takes time. And for a lot of people, it’s hard to see ourselves objectively.

Getting our personal color palette (season) done is a start, and melding the style piece with that, like what silhouettes suit our body most, what proportions, textures, details, etc. And then what we want to express. It’s about developing an eye.

Our personal style is unique to each of us.
It’s been a lifelong journey for me and I try to learn from lots of different stylists. There’s a lot of free information available these days in books and online.

Last edited: