Who are you - stylewise?

poulinska

Aug 27, 2018
Dear fellow PFers,
I hope this is not something you already discussed a lot - but I didn't find a similar thread.
I am 43 years old and had a certain style until a few years ago (I guess - because sometimes the past seems easier than it was at that time). So: I started out living in a big city wearing edgy clothes with a 1920ies vintage vibe. I wore a bob haircut, dyed black and dresses. I danced argentine Tango so styled accordingly.
I moved to a smaller city with a more expensive style (labels are more important and wearing classy styles). I the evolved towards a 'hipster' style with skinny jeans and oversized printed shirts (like a vintage rolling stones shirt with black skinny jeans and sneakers).
Since three years I have a job with more prestige, managing a bigger team and being kind of a CEO. I started buying handbags, I wear Massimo Dutti pantsuits but that's it. When I work from home (two days a week) I wear sweatpants mostly.
What I am searching for is a kind of a picture of how I want to look, what I want to express... I tried a preppy style but that's not me. What I am trying now is dark skinny jeans with boat-striped shirts and navy blazers...

Maybe this is a strange question. But when and how did you find out who you are stylewise? And how do you implement it in your lifestyle (for example wearing heels when you are mostly walking etc.)

Currently, I’m a style minimalist. Tunics/ sweaters/ tops in solid colors, primarily navy, gray or white. Most often dark jeans below. I’m 70! Before this, I went through a boho phase. That lasted about 5 years (my late 50’s- early 60’s). I went through a preppie period when I was younger and a hippie phase during my college years. There have also been hybrids along the way. I like to remain open to change but think my current style might last as long as I do, given my current age. I wear a lot of Eileen Fisher clothing. Jewelry Consists of sterling silver organic designs by Elsa Peretti (TCO). One thing about me is that when I go into a new phase, I go all in. I get rid of everything that no longer serves my aesthetic needs and buy items for the aesthetic I’m moving towards. Each time I changed my look, it was because I simply felt a need for change. My biggest fear is looking MDAL, so that greatly influences me. I keep my eyes open. I learn as much from seeing others who I don’t want to resemble style-wise, as I do from seeing others who I do want to resemble style-wise.

I'm 33 and feel like I'm just figuring it out. I used to be a hardcore Anthropologie devotee (circa 2007-2012 era) in my early-mid 20's. I put on a significant amount of weight, and just went with whatever fit. Lots of BR/BR Factory to get me through the work day. Some Anthro mixed in.

I've been on a (slow) weight loss journey for the last year and a half, and my interest in clothing has been restored. My husband and I decided to watch A Simple Favor last year, and couple my weight loss and career trajectory, and I felt like I had a style epiphany. Not full-on balls-to-the-wall Emily Nelson wearing a head to toe tuxedo in a park in the middle of the day androgyny, but tailored shirts, smart jackets, well-fitting pants, etc.. No spoiler, but seeing her veer ultra-feminine at the end was also inspiring. She could wear it all and looked damn good doing it.

In addition, Trinny Woodall has a weekly "Closet Confessions" which are just a master class in dressing well while wearing things you love. Based on your original post, I HIGHLY recommend! Even though I have a different body type (most notably, I'm petite/short), I have learned so much about myself and what works and doesn't work for me.

Between the two, my jacket/outerwear collection has grown exponentially. I have also expanded my button down shirt collection (including some pretty incredible tuxedo shirts, but happy to find more of those) and learned how to layer them appropriately with jackets, sweaters, and even some sparkle. Separately, I'm still very girly and I love (LOVE) iridescent things, and metallics. I've collated a an iridescent handbag and fabulous shoe collection over the past few years. While I almost always feel put together now (with or without a jacket), I still feel like my personality shines through and my French maximalist heart still sings thanks to my accessories.

Hell, it must because I literally wore a confetti (glitter and swarovski-encrusted) tuxedo jacket to work this past Monday and no one found it odd! I texted this picture to my husband in the morning and said "DOING IT!" As I braced myself for lots of smart comments, but...no! I got quite a few compliments actually, from men and women alike.

99953F04-B5BB-4658-AF85-D45263D7859B.JPEG

It's not perfect, but I definitely feel like I'm finding my groove. And I LOVE what is in my closet these days. It's fun, can be very professional, or relaxed but polished.

I used the book 'Style Statement' by Carrie McCarthy and Danielle LePorte. Rather than being lumped into one of several pre-chosen groups (romantic, classic, sporty, etc) you end up picking your own two word name for your style.

There are a bunch of questions (most of which I've never seen on any other 'what style are you?' quiz. Say the word urban comes up in a lot of your answers, that might be one of the two words in your style statement. Same for any word that shows up a lot. If romantic or classic are those words, that's great - you will have made that choice instead of someone else.

As well as asking about your likes/preferences, there are questions about your dislikes. Any word that comes up a lot in your dislike answers is not going to be part of your style statement. It was actually interesting to answer the question from both sides, since it was always as simple as like black-dislike white. As humans we tend to be a lot more complex than that.

Mine is Treasured Genuine. I've reversed it from the word order they use - which I can do because it's my style statement. At least one review mentioned they picked three words, instead of two - which they can do because it's their style statement.

@diane278 that sounds great: I would love to be able to go 'all in', but I am not at the stage where I know, who I am. My body type is kind of 'asian' (my mother is from russia, with short legs, broad hips but all in all tiny, I am a bit taller with not that broad hips but still I have difficulties to find what really would be flattering). I also see people around me and sometimes I think: this would be how I would like to look but often it is more the confidence than the actual clothes (saw a woman with black dyed hair, black pants and black shirt and a camel max-mara-ish coat. She wore it untied and it looked fab. what does MDAL mean?
@scivolare I guess we can compare our journey, as mine is in finding the right 'grown-up-style'. LOVE your photo.
Thank you thank you thank you for trinny woodall: that woman is a GURU. I watched three videos and she has given then fun back. I love her style. Will watch more of that. When I see her, I feel like I worry too much, wanting to be a minimalist. Especially the color theme ist perfect, since I have a similar hair and skin color.
@JenJBS I will look into the style statement book. I've read Simon Doonan, which I liked a lot but he also hast only three types.

Thank you all and have a great weekend

@diane278 that sounds great: I would love to be able to go 'all in', but I am not at the stage where I know, who I am. My body type is kind of 'asian' (my mother is from russia, with short legs, broad hips but all in all tiny, I am a bit taller with not that broad hips but still I have difficulties to find what really would be flattering). I also see people around me and sometimes I think: this would be how I would like to look but often it is more the confidence than the actual clothes (saw a woman with black dyed hair, black pants and black shirt and a camel max-mara-ish coat. She wore it untied and it looked fab. what does MDAL mean?
@scivolare I guess we can compare our journey, as mine is in finding the right 'grown-up-style'. LOVE your photo.
Thank you thank you thank you for trinny woodall: that woman is a GURU. I watched three videos and she has given then fun back. I love her style. Will watch more of that. When I see her, I feel like I worry too much, wanting to be a minimalist. Especially the color theme ist perfect, since I have a similar hair and skin color.
@JenJBS I will look into the style statement book. I've read Simon Doonan, which I liked a lot but he also hast only three types.

Thank you all and have a great weekend

Thank you! I really appreciate that :flowers:

Trinny is incredible, I could truly watch her all day! I found her because another message board (not tpf) was discussing her and I went to have a look. I think the first video I saw was her video on white sneakers, something I was not very interested in (though I’m more interested now) and was immediately entranced by her and her outfit. She used to be the host of the U.K. What Not to Wear and has developed her own makeup line since so she is pushing that. But she loves fashion and her passion and knowledge really show.

She does Zara “shop-ups” where she goes through the store and shows things she things are really great and why and who they would suit, and things that are not (and why). Those are probably my second favorite type of her videos, but the closet confessionals are :heart:. If you haven’t watched them already, the ones I go back to over and over again are her jacket/blazer one from early October 2019 and her shirts on from July of 2019. There’s also a belts one that’s great, but honestly they are all wonderful to watch.

I just think she has aced the concept of power dressing, but she loves color and sparkle and makes it fun. And she doesn’t care what people think if she turns up the volume, and it ends up looking totally normal on her. Examples: OOTD on Feb 16th, her most recent layering video from yesterday, and all that pink on October 16. Really, they are all fabulous to watch.

In short, Trinny is who I want to be when I grow up :angel:

When looking at pictures of me I can see that my style has evolved. But really I believe I have remained the same in terms of my ideal style. Its just that I have adapted to comfortable, to bad weather to being lazy....and that has impacted my ability to really wear on the outside the image I have inside my head of my style and who I am....weird.
But i defined my style as simple feminine w a bit of quirk. sometimes its a bit androgynous or I play with masculine items like men shoes. I like structured shapes/cuts. simple, can be colourful but no patterns. Ive had the same hair varying between long or short bob for 20 years...
although over the years I ve always followed trends. the whole skinny jeans with a rock band tshirt...bow the 90´s with mum jeans and a bob haircut...but all these years I wear mainly jeans or black trousers with a wool pullover. or a button shirt. and derbys shoes. It´s only the shape/cut of these items that have evolved with the times.
I´m just super french but with more daring things sometimes

Last edited:
I’m sure that Trinny is not everyone’s cup of tea, but clearly I’m a huge fan.

I do want to say that I think it’s really strange to criticize how someone walks. Through no fault of my own, I have back/neck/hip issues and therefore I’m not the most “elegant” walker. I can’t imagine being judged for it. If you watch her videos you may become aware that she also has some underlying back issues that flare up, so who knows how that impacts her walk?

Also, they aren’t married, but they have been together several years. It’s disappointing. But it doesn’t impact what I love regarding her style.

Reactions: Chevron
I’m sure that Trinny is not everyone’s cup of tea, but clearly I’m a huge fan.

I do want to say that I think it’s really strange to criticize how someone walks. Through no fault of my own, I have back/neck/hip issues and therefore I’m not the most “elegant” walker. I can’t imagine being judged for it. If you watch her videos you may become aware that she also has some underlying back issues that flare up, so who knows how that impacts her walk?

Also, they aren’t married, but they have been together several years. It’s disappointing. But it doesn’t impact what I love regarding her style.
I was not familiar with her style and enjoy to see how others make decision on what to wear, famous or nonfamous and professionals.
As far as her being with Saatchi, it is just so bizarre as she is too mature to be involved with this person.
What can one say?
Love is blind...

Reactions: Chevron
Huh?
What do you mean?
I mean I am not sure, I understand correctly what french style means. I thought it would be a skinny jeans, ballerina and a blazer. But lately I understand it is more an romantic-boho-ey ruffled shirt with a flared leg jeans (think sabina socol). Now I am confused...