Where is your comfort level price point?

:welcome2: to TPF! I would say we buy our bags at different prices for pretty much the same reason. We love the bag! For some, spending upwards 5K is affordable. It removes nothing from their daily lives. For others, spending $500 is the median price and others, $200, etc. I think it comes down to affordability and lust. To me affording the bag means plunking down $2,000 on the spot to buy it or whatever amount the bag costs. Others will save up until they have that amount to buy the bag. Personally, I won't because in answer to your question that I highlighted, a bag is never an investment no matter what anyone tells you unless it is in the packaging it was bought and was never worn! It's similar to a car and depreciates it's value once it's worn. Jewelry is a completely different matter!

In answer to OP's question of many years ago, having gone over my spending comfort zone, I would say my next bag has to be significantly under $1k. There is nothing worse than buying a bag at $2,000+ to learn it does not live up to your expectations!
Thanks for your reply , actually I'm a designer myself and I design bags, do you mind checking it out and give me some suggestions?this is our newest design.
T2s7FPXb4dXXXXXXXX_%21%21355792483.jpg

It really depends on how many bags I intend to buy in a year. If I buy a mix of new and old, it could add up to 1.5-2k. But if I decide to get just one, it will probably be around 2k. I havent had the need to absolutely own a certain bag. The idea of a beautiful bag that I normally overlook but suddenly notice because it ends up on clearance is a dream to me.

I've been just fine paying over a thousand for a bag within this year, but now when I've got all my HG bags maybe something like £500 would be the maximum I'd spend on a bag. I don't really even have the space right now to store all my.. 14 (!!) bags, and I'm going back and forth between two countries so maybe it's a good idea to have a little break from buying bags :biggrin: :whiteflag:

Even after spending over five figures on a Birkin several months ago, I still hesitate at anything over $1000.

Under $1000=buy without too much thinking and no guilt
$1000-$1500=a little more thought, a little more guilt
Greater than $1500=I'm probably still going to purchase, but only after pondering it for days, maybe even weeks, and with lots of guilt

I really think about every single purchase I make. I'm comfortable with up to $500 if I love the bag, but I won't drop any amount of money without thinking it over for a few weeks.

However, I just got an inheritance and while I put the vaaaaast majority of it in savings for a new car, I spent $1000+ on my first bag over $600. I LOVE it. It's almost a high, that smell of really good leather. I don't know that it's something I'll keep doing, though. I don't think more money means automatic satisfaction with any bag. And it's really hard for me to drop money on things.

Only really 100-200. I think even that's high for your average person. I think about every purchase a lot because i don't want to fill my life with a lot of crap, and look for sales. I have a couple of $400 bags but don't really think I'll ever spend that much again. I'm happy with those and think it was a decent price for what they are but it still makes me a little uncomfortable to spend that much money. Here's to hoping they last forever.

My general comfort level for spending on a bag is around £500-£600 (about $800), however, I spent just under £800 (around $1200 ish) on my Prada bag and one of my Chloe bags because I felt they were classics and although I did feel a certain degree of guilt at the time I haven't regretted buying them.

The way I see it now is that, if I want to spend over £500, could I put that money to better use by buying a nice piece of jewellery instead - I'm kind of 'over' buying really expensive bags as although I do love them and get a lot of pleasure out of using them I know jewellery is a much better investment. Something like a beautiful Cartier ring is going to have far better resale value than a handbag, unless it is a Chanel or Hermes (which is waaaay out of my comfort zone for spending anyway - not that I can't afford one but I just would never spend that much on anything apart from a deposit on a house or a car - no offence to those who do).

I am happy with the bags I have now and try to buy any new ones in sales or preloved in excellent condition. I also sell things I know longer like and try to adopt a one in and one out policy to keep costs down, my closet not overcrowded and DH off my case ;). My Chloe Marcie satchel ended up being just under £500 on sale from Matches (down from £695!) and was funded by selling a Mulberry I no longer used which was great!

I think about each purchase too because it's all relative. That said my upper limit is about $1000. It would be hard for me to justify anything above that as being truly about the value of the bag unless it were made of exotic materials, which isn't really my thing.

Right now, my comfort level is $100-$300. The most I'd ever spend is $300 because realistically speaking, that's still a lot of money for a handbag. I think $100-ish is the price where I'd be most comfortable and not have any guilt.