When/who do you tip??

Sanguar said:
I tip the guy who bags my groceries too. And if you get a 1.79 cup of coffee poured for you, don't worry about it. If you get a drink made for you that takes 6 or 7 different steps, it's a different story. We have to claim our tips on our tax returns too. And, even if we do get tips, we still make a heck of a lot less than wait staff. We usually get a dollar an hour.

Where are you working that you are paid $1 an hour??? :amazed:

We make a whopping 1 dollar and hour in tips. That means of the 800 dollars and hour (on average) of business the store does, with 4 people working we are tipped .005 percent of the sales. We make around 7 dollars an hour in general. Then take out NYC and NY and federal taxes, and for the ten or so hours I work there a week (including tips!!) I make about 55 bucks take home. Which sucks for all of that time spent on my feet with a fake smile on my face, being nice.

I'm really not trying to be a b*tch. I just want everyone to remember that the people they encounter at Starbucks and their grocery stores and whatnot are trying to earn a living and most likely have others to feed! We all work hard and at crappy jobs (at some point). If you can spare twenty cents to throw into a tip jar, please do! It may not seem like much, but if everyone throws something in it adds up.

I tip people in the food industry, valets, or just about anyone who provides a service and isnt working on commission. I'm sure I've missed a few, but it wasnt on purpose hehe.

My daughter is a college student working part time as a waitress, and I can tell you that people in that industry are big on tips because their salaries are awful. She doesn't get even close to minimum wage (and I'd love it if someone could explain to me how THAT is legal). Further, she has a huge number of customers who leave little or no tip, even when the service has been fine.

I hate tip cups too, but do try really hard to tip well when I've received good service: at least 20% in restaurants and in the hair salon, and a reasonable tip to taxi drivers.

My bf and I always tip at restaurant, once we didn't only once , when a waitress was just straight out rude and nasty!!!!!We usually tip 20 precent. I have never seen somoene like her, not just unpleasant but nastyyy! I tip the starbucks and dokin donuts people, depending on how much I order and I usually leave the change for the order, not the quarters though, because parking in NyC you need those quarters. I leave my hairdresses 15 dollars for a 50 dollar cut. I leave my manicurist 5 dollars for a 10 dollar manicure. I tip valet, especially when its complimentary.

Minnie said:
My bf and I always tip at restaurant, once we didn't only once , when a waitress was just straight out rude and nasty!!!!!We usually tip 20 precent. I have never seen somoene like her, not just unpleasant but nastyyy! I tip the starbucks and dokin donuts people, depending on how much I order and I usually leave the change for the order, not the quarters though, because parking in NyC you need those quarters. I leave my hairdresses 15 dollars for a 50 dollar cut. I leave my manicurist 5 dollars for a 10 dollar manicure. I tip valet, especially when its complimentary.

Ha! I was wondering the same thing Sanguar was! I pay that much out in AZ and I thought you could NEVER get a haircut out in NYC for nothing less than $75 but maybe that's b/c I've never been there.

jasanna143 said:
What kind of salon do you go to?? That sounds nice!
It's called Z Salon and Spa. They are a chain and it's a fabulous place to go to. They are actually owned by Aveda. They give so much attention to you and will even give you a complimentary hand or neck massage for any service every time you go. I love it.

When we go out to eat and get really good service I always tip 20%. If we get really horrible service I usually only leave 10%. I just don't feel right about leaving nothing even if the service was horrible.:shame:

allison said:
It's called Z Salon and Spa. They are a chain and it's a fabulous place to go to. They are actually owned by Aveda. They give so much attention to you and will even give you a complimentary hand or neck massage for any service every time you go. I love it.

OMG! I have to find one near me! I'll google it. Thanks for the info!