When/who do you tip??

I tip most people. When I go to a restaurant, my esthetician, manicures, pedicures. It was just odd because I went to NY two weekends ago and the people I encountered just seemed to expect it. I wasn't sure whether the people who come to get my bags were supposed to get a tip because some places ask that you don't tip employees. So I just asked and the guy said yes and gave him something. I didn't even know how much I was supposed to tip him to take my bags down to storage. So I just gave him 3 bucks...which is probably right about nothing in NY.

Well my parents,and I tip everyone who does a service for us (getting hair cuts,getting nails done,going out to eat,cleaning service,starbucks,picking up our bags ect). we tip 20%+ most of the time,but when im in Starbucks I think its rude not to tip someone.I put in some of my change from my order in the tip box. It doesnt matter if the service was good or bad..everyone needs to eat,and live. If people are working they obviosuly need money. During the christmas time we leave the post man about 30 bucks in our mail box.

What I found interesting, is we ordered take-out last night and we pulled up to those parking spots. I was observing everyone else who pulled up next to me and they didn't tip the guy who brought them their food!!!!!

I think I was the only one at the time who tipped him and you could honestly hear the appreciation out of his voice b/c he was hustling his behind to get everyone their food.

Just goes to show you that everyone should learn something from this thread and take it w/ them! :biggrin:

• Shoot-I needed to edit my post. I meant I tip 20%-and I figure it out by taking the amount, say it was 32.30,and I move the decimal, making it 3.23,and then double that. Yeesh,I sounded like such a cheapskate in my prior post!:lol:

littlestarsfan said:
Misread much? You might work your ass off for the customers who come in, lounge around and leave their trash behind.. but all you did for me was make the drink. Which is in your job description..

I've been thinking at least a day on the above post.

Let me ask you something. Can you make a:
Venti decaf soy cinnamon dolce latte? Have any idea how many shots of espresso go into one?

Those of us who work at Starbucks have to go through special training to learn what we do. We have to be certified which means we are tested on what we have learned.

I don't think of it as someone tipping me just for pouring coffee. I'd like to think my experience and customer service has something to do with it.

I took on this job as an extra means of income. I love the way I am treated when I walk into a Starbucks. The smiles, the warm welcome & the customer service is worth the tip to me.

Don't get me wrong. I do not "expect" a tip and each one is a nice surprise.

I just want you to know there's more to it than just 'pouring' it.

It hurts my feelings that anyone would think of my job as just 'pouring coffee'. I love what I do and I take pride in what I have learned.

I just wanted you and anyone else who feels the same to know that. What I have said is with the utmost respect.