When/who do you tip??

bagaholic said:
When I get bad service it is 15% - you would have to tell me to go f*** myself and put pork in my food to not get any tip.

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!

That was Not MY quote. I don't know what the heck I'm doing. You know what I mean though.

Loganz said:
When I get good service I tip 25% or more; those in the service industry know who their good customers are - they will hook you up when you hook them up.

See, this has never been true for me except in a small sushi restaurant where they remember how much I tip and are extra nice and always add extra goodies. However, no bartender ever remembers that I tip him huge amounts (when I turned 21, I was told if you tip them well, they'll remember and give you drinks on the house occassionally), no waitresses do (even at the regular places I eat) and I certainly have never gotten any perks or special treatment. Maybe I need to tip even more?

Loganz said:
I started out in the service industry and tipping is just something you do; if you can't afford to tip then don't eat out, don't ask for the super-custom latte at Starbucks, don't go to Las Vegas, and don't pamper yourself.

When I get bad service it is 15% - you would have to tell me to go f*** myself and put pork in my food to not get any tip.

When I get good service I tip 25% or more; those in the service industry know who their good customers are - they will hook you up when you hook them up. I worked in a restaurant where we were allowed to comp so many food and beverages a night - who do you think got my comps - sour-faced girls and their snotty friends, or cool folk who were friendly and full of smiles. It is like anything in life really - you get what you give. You give off bad attitude you will get it back in return. It is no service person's job to kiss the asses of people with bad attitudes; they have drive-through for people like that.

I was trying to post to your quote but totally messed up. Sorry about that.

jasanna143 said:
Ha! I was wondering the same thing Sanguar was! I pay that much out in AZ and I thought you could NEVER get a haircut out in NYC for nothing less than $75 but maybe that's b/c I've never been there.

Well, there is this brilliant italian man whoworks in brooklyn. You need to wait about two months to get an appointment with him but he works magic. Everyone i recommended him was amazed. He works 5 days a week, tuesday ,wed,thurs,fri and sat but forget fridays and saturdays unless you have been coming to him for atleast 5 years. So that leaves him with 3 days a week. He is wonderful, pleasantl, plays beautiful music and he is also an artist and he hangs his work around the salon. It is less because it isn't in Manhattan, rent is cheaper in brooklyn. If anyone wants his number, PM me, if you will be in the neigborhood. He charges 50 for a haircut minimum, depending on how long thick, or problematic your hair is.

i tip a lot. probably too much, but i have heard all these stories about how people in the service industry depend on tips, so i feel compelled.

i judge a man based on how he tips too. like one time i went on a first date, and i noticed that the man took me to this fancy place where the dinner was almost $500 with you added drinks. then he only left a $75. why front like he is balling and then not even leave a standard tip. either he can't multiply or is classless. either way, i made him drop me off right after dinner was done.

purselova34 said:
To answer your question, I don't tip while eating out more than I do. Also, not to be rude, but I was brought being taught that a tip is something you earn, it's not part of your salary. I won't tip if I feel I've gotten :sick: service. I mean if someone is going to say "What do you want?!" instead of trying to seem polite, I say in my mind no tip. :hrmm: I don't exspect anything spectular, but I just want the guy/girl to write down what I want as I want it and bring it nicely and ask how are things? I'll give you a recent example. I went to this diner that is not far from my house and took out two friends and paid for them. First of all, she did not write down anything. So, no one was really shocked she got our drinks and soups wrong. When suggested she write it down,in a very nice way, she looked like she wanted to kill us. Upon getting our dinner, the sides were not what we wanted and my friend asked for pork loin and got pork chops. The waitress insisted that is what she asked for. :Push: We decided to have dessert. The way she put our cake on the plate was just :sick:. I mean, it looked as if she had dropped it and put it back. I know she did it, because your wait person at that place serves the dessert not the cheif. I asked for the check paid, no tip, and left. I think that was justified, but everyone has their opinions.

hun, from someone in the service industry, please do us a favor: if you're not prepared to tip, do not eat out, get a haircut, have your nails done, or ask someone to help you get your groceries to your car. we'd rather not have your business.

you can say in your head that a tip is not part of their salary all you want, but it is. waiters in the US have a $2.30 (i believe) hourly minimum wage because tipping is customary and is expected, whereas everyone else has a $5.25. i'm not asking you to change your tipping practices, i'm just asking you to keep your rear at home so that your table at the restaurant or your chair at the salon can go to someone that's willing to show respect and appreciation for services that are rendered. if things are horrible, then don't tip, but if things are just ok, you make an agreement by being seated at that restaurant and requesting services from their staff that you're willing to pay for their services. it shouldn't be a surprise or an extra - it's how things are done and it should be an expected expense when you want to eat out.

i'm willing to bet $100 this instant that you've never worked in the service industry a day in your life. anyone want to take that action?

Reactions: Sherri S.
Loganz said:
I started out in the service industry and tipping is just something you do; if you can't afford to tip then don't eat out, don't ask for the super-custom latte at Starbucks, don't go to Las Vegas, and don't pamper yourself.

When I get good service I tip 25% or more; those in the service industry know who their good customers are - they will hook you up when you hook them up. I worked in a restaurant where we were allowed to comp so many food and beverages a night - who do you think got my comps - sour-faced girls and their snotty friends, or cool folk who were friendly and full of smiles. It is like anything in life really - you get what you give. You give off bad attitude you will get it back in return. It is no service person's job to kiss the asses of people with bad attitudes; they have drive-through for people like that.

I totally agree. I've never waitressed so I didn't realize that some if not most waitresses have to "tip out" until I had a discussion about tipping with my uncle's girlfriend. At the restaurant she works at they have to pay a certain amount out to the cooks, and the other staff for every table they wait on. Even if you don't tip them they still have to pay that amount. Now that I know that I don't think I could ever not tip someone. I might leave them a small tip if they give me really bad service, but the service would have to be pretty brutal for me not to leave a tip at all.

Loganz said:

people need to realize that service people do have an effect on their lives and we should be treated with respect. i only go the extra mile for people that are nice to me.

for example, i know which dryer has been returned multiple times because it caught on fire in someone's home :biggrin:.

there are two types of customers that i have: people i would sell that dryer to if they asked about it, and people i wouldn't sell it to.

be nice to me, you don't want your dryer to burn your house down.

every service industry person out there knows something like this, and full disclosure is in your best interest, but not required of us.

amanda said:
there are two types of customers that i have: people i would sell that dryer to if they asked about it, and people i wouldn't sell it to.

be nice to me, you don't want your dryer to burn your house down.

:nuts: :nuts: :nuts: That's hilarious!

I worked at a nutrition store for three years, and I would give a 15% discount to people who were nice. It was meant for anyone who was a senior, but if the people were nice enough, I'd give it to them also.

So it really does pay to be nice, besides, what kind of person would be grouchy to someone for no reason?

So far you'd save you house from being burnt down, and get a small discount. hehe

i'm a waitress and because of that, i tip EVERYONE. a lot. it's karma. :biggrin: i tip servers between 25-100% depending on the tab and the service (even if they're really bad they still get 20%), 20% to the hostess that gets my to go order at a restaurant (they do as much work as the waitstaff), i tip the the tip cups at coffee shops, i tip the bartender AND the cocktailer, plus the standard people that everyone tips. i don't think i've ever stiffed anyone on purpose. :biggrin: basically i tip anyone i want to remember me and treat me well when i come back.

hubby used to not tip before we started dating. i had to educate him. now he tips like me. :biggrin:

purselova34 said:
I don't exspect anything spectular, but I just want the guy/girl to write down what I want as I want it and bring it nicely and ask how are things?

not to be nitpicky...but at lots of restaurants, esp. if they use a computer system, servers aren't ALLOWED to write things down. they get in trouble. also, servers are people too. we make mistakes, we have off days, sometimes just off tables! odds are, one of these dining experiences one of these days, you're get one of our bad days. kids get sick, our cars don't start, and people don't treat us well sometimes. also, if you go to the same restaurants on any sort of regular basis, i guarantee that ALL the servers there remember you and that you don't tip. :suspiciou i hope that's not why you're getting bad service, because as a professional everyone you serve *should* get roughly the same service regardless, but that doesn't always happen. try tipping as an experiment and see what happens... :biggrin:

tipping is important. i think a lot of people don't realize that waitstaff are taxed on 11-15% of their total sales (what would be expected in tips) whether you make that much that day or not. also if you stiff your waitstaff you are also stiffing the busser, dishwasher, hostess, cook, and a lot of other people who helped make your dining experience. it's really not fair. as for the taxes, most of the time you make more than that percentage, but i had one really horrible day a couple years ago where i was taxed $10 more than i actually took home (after tipping out the bussers/dishwashers/cooks/hosts). it was winter, i was sick as a dog and no one would work for me, and all i had were really mean older people all day long. i cried. :biggrin: another time, i had a table make fun of the way i talked (i have a teeny tiny lisp) and once i had a man outright scream red in the face at me (my manager heard in the upstairs office) because his waitress (who wasn't ME!) hadn't gotten his drink order yet. heck, last week i had a table who i had never seen before give me the fifth degree about what i'm going to do with my life. "are you going to school? are you going to be a waitress for the rest of your life? yadda yadda yadda." very condescending tone and very judgemental. i think people just don't think sometimes how their words affect others. i'm just trying to do my job here folks! :biggrin:

i really love my job most of the time and i think i'm pretty darn good at it. a smile goes a long way with most people. :biggrin: for every horrible tip or difficult table, there are 5 that are really sweet, fabulous and fun. but please don't assume that just because i am choosing to work in this industry right now that i am not educated, accomplished, or deserving of respect. i just like having a job i can leave at work at this point in my life. :biggrin:

*hops off soapbox*

I've never worked as a wait person, no. I know I would be horrible at the job, but if I needed to work there, you bet I'd have a smile painted on my face and pretend to be nice. You don't have to like you customers. You just have to act like you do. Do your job ok. Most wait people in my area are very bad at their jobs. When I do tip, and get a good wait person, it's usually out of my city. I think if you tip, how much or if at all is up to the person. It's a personal thing. Besides, I mean, people do all sort of jobs, perhaps you?, and never get a tip. Do you tip your professors when they work extra hard? Your mail man? Your garabage man? I think it's up to the person to decide the amount.