What’s your unpopular LV opinion?

• Thread starter MagpieInTraining
  • Start date
Reviving this thread because I went down an "unpopular opinions" rabbit hole after seeing the Celine thread get updated today...

1) LV is the only brand that does monogram well. I hate all other monogrammed canvas/fabric: Goyard, Celine, Dior, Gucci... am I forgetting any? LV's is classic and a flattering, rich, gorgeous brown (why can't other brands do a nice brown??)

2) LV Monogram is the only nice canvas pattern they have - I dislike both DA and DE. They look like old-man patterns to me. I disliked reverso when it was launched but now it's grown on me so much that I have two bags in it! Men's monogram colours (Graphite and Blue especially) are soooo nice I wish there were more women's styles in those colours.

3) I love how LV has such a rich and varied selection of styles and bags because there's something for everyone. I actually CAN patronise the brand without feeling like I bought ten of the same bag. And more of their styles appeal to me than other brands (like Chanel, where I only really like the classic/seasonal flaps and the boy, or Dior where the only thing that appeals to me is the cannage pattern - so I'm stuck with just Lady Dior and Miss Dior, because I don't like non-structured bags either).

4) Epi is the best leather, followed by Vernis. Empreinte is take it or leave it for me.

5) I haven't personally noticed any quality issues, but I also don't go over my bags with a microscope.

6) The bumbag and the loop induce a particularly visceral "hate" response in me - especially the bumbag, which looks like the kind of fanny pack my dad would've worn while travelling in the 90s.

7) Some of LV's most classic styles - like Speedy and Neverfull - leave me cold. I dislike the shape. Speedy looks bulky and like it's lumbering at me. And Neverfull is so impractical because it doesn't have a zip and the straps are so thin they dig in to your shoulders.

8) I like the guitar straps - they're comfortable to wear and make the bags look younger and trendier. If I want it to look formal I can always ditch the strap and take the bag hand/arm carry (I do this with my Alma BB when I want to carry it as an evening bag).

9) I've never understood the need to collect multiple colourways of the same bag - experiment! Try different shapes! I wouldn't want more than 2, max, of a single shape; unless it was a particularly rare colourway that only comes in one shape.

10) The Christmas Animation is cute and everything, but it's so impractical to use. I don't understand why people buy multiple items with the same print, or buy them every year. I have one mini pochette that I bought years ago and it is usable only because I use it as an SLG inside a bag and it never gets seen.

Well, you definitely covered a lot of personal opinion here which is awesome, some of which I agree with and some of which I differ, probably because I am on the older side of the spectrum.

1. The biggest complaint I hear is about those guitar straps and why do they have to put a casual, trendy look on an elevated bag. So hearing that my thoughts are why not give you both straps so you have choices? It is clear that LV knows its buyers love to change up straps and I can't thank them enough for making them removeable. I am so spoiled that this summer when I wore my Gucci, I kept forgetting I couldnt change up the strap unless I got two which was impossible. Comfort wise, I just find that they slip off since they are pretty wide and I do not have broad shoulders.

2. LV has advanced in the color area however I'd like to see more. When I look at my collection, it's black, brown, and cream. It would be fun to have some color. I need to advance to that.

3. Like you, I simply cannot love the Speedy in any size. it just does nothing for me. I tried the 20 yesterday and even with a fancy strap - not.

4. Totally agree with your comments on the Christmas animation.

5. Maybe also because of age, when I saw my first OG Bumbag on vacation, I immediately went in search of it. I love, love, love it and do not wear it as a fanny pak. The Loop GM will never leave my collection because I love it beyond words. It is an amazingly light travel bag even stuffed full which I don't do. It's just easy and comfortable and a great shape and I feel LV did an amazing job on the reverse monogram in getting the perfect slouch!

6. I am returning to Epi a bit but it is honestly too stiff for me. I love empreinte or tourillion leather the best and you cannot beat a canvas on a pouring down rainy day!

So, its fun to find out how others feel, thanks for restarting this!

Well, you definitely covered a lot of personal opinion here which is awesome, some of which I agree with and some of which I differ, probably because I am on the older side of the spectrum.

1. The biggest complaint I hear is about those guitar straps and why do they have to put a casual, trendy look on an elevated bag. So hearing that my thoughts are why not give you both straps so you have choices? It is clear that LV knows its buyers love to change up straps and I can't thank them enough for making them removeable. I am so spoiled that this summer when I wore my Gucci, I kept forgetting I couldnt change up the strap unless I got two which was impossible. Comfort wise, I just find that they slip off since they are pretty wide and I do not have broad shoulders.

2. LV has advanced in the color area however I'd like to see more. When I look at my collection, it's black, brown, and cream. It would be fun to have some color. I need to advance to that.

3. Like you, I simply cannot love the Speedy in any size. it just does nothing for me. I tried the 20 yesterday and even with a fancy strap - not.

4. Totally agree with your comments on the Christmas animation.

5. Maybe also because of age, when I saw my first OG Bumbag on vacation, I immediately went in search of it. I love, love, love it and do not wear it as a fanny pak. The Loop GM will never leave my collection because I love it beyond words. It is an amazingly light travel bag even stuffed full which I don't do. It's just easy and comfortable and a great shape and I feel LV did an amazing job on the reverse monogram in getting the perfect slouch!

6. I am returning to Epi a bit but it is honestly too stiff for me. I love empreinte or tourillion leather the best and you cannot beat a canvas on a pouring down rainy day!

So, its fun to find out how others feel, thanks for restarting this!

Oh I can’t carry the guitar strap on one shoulder either, but I’m short enough that it’s the perfect size for me to carry crossbody!

Though actually I agree with you. Why not do both straps, LV?? The 2023 camera box bag comes with two straps (though the gold chain is so short it’s basically decorative. I can fit it on my shoulder, but then the bag is too close to my armpit to look right) and I love that. I only have a couple Guccis but luckily both come with detachable straps. Still, there’s no other strap I can attach to them and they don’t have handles, so I just wear them with the straps they have.

Oh here’s another unpopular opinion - I don’t like slouchy bags. I don’t think I have a single one in my collection, actually, across brands. Even my two totes (Longchamp le Pliage and LV Surene MM) have structure. I think I like the GM Loop better than the smaller one, but it still does nothing for me. But this actually goes back to one of my earlier points - I’m glad they make so many styles because we are all so different and like such different things! :biggrin:

I don’t own anything in taurillon but it looks like a really nice leather. But I don’t think LV does many bags in it - I can only think of the Twist and the Capucines. I adore the capucines but I would want that in exotic leather instead of taurillon, I think!

Thanks for weighing in!! I find this sort of thread super entertaining.

Reactions: pennypatty
Oh and another veeeerrry unpopular opinion is that I don't care for the Twist or the Capucines. I will explain ...
I feel the Twist has the LV clasp that is used so much if you look at the preloved market they are all scratched up. Unless you constantly replace the plastic or have very short nails, it tends to start looking bad. The other thing which includes the GO-14, is that they hold a phone, small wallet, lipstick and not a whole lot more. It is so much smaller due to the quilting. I love looking at them but as far as useful, that's a hard one but as I said, I'm on the older side lol, so I need my bags to be both, pretty and useful. I have really downsized but still these are sooo small for the price you pay. If you are just collecting, then it works. As for the Capucines, I had one and simply could not get my hands to go inside easily with the handle but that's just me. I just purchased a Mini Lock Me Ever Tote as I simply love the profile. I had to return it. The only way I could fit my keys not inside the cles, my Victorine wallet, a lip pencil, and pen was to stack them. No can do. I was so sad because they did not make the BB in the Greige. I feel as if going smaller has helped me get used to taking less, but I notice in the fall and winter I use my larger bags more. We kind of went crazy with the "minis". Now I'd like a good 10" bag.

This thread is so fun! Happy it’s revived. :yahoo: OK here’s my unpopular opinion since it’s that time of year … I hate the Christmas animations! All of them, every year, without exception. In fact, I hate the Vivienne character and all the others (I think there are others? Don’t know their names lol). I just don’t get the obsession; I don’t think they’re cute; I think they’re … weird-looking and a bit juvenile, perhaps? :confused1:

I guess I can kind of understand getting one of the city-themed ones as a souvenir if you’re visiting that city when it’s released, but even still, I would just rather get a more classic piece as my souvenir.

It’s not that I don’t like whimsical pieces; I really love some of the artist collaborations and can admire and appreciate the ones that aren’t my personal taste, but … I just don’t get the animations! Is Vivienne supposed to be a human? Like a little girl? Or … a humanized/animated flower? An animal? Or just some type of unspecified cartoon character? (I’m genuinely curious because I’ve never been able to figure this out lol.) She kind of reminds me of the Troll characters that were popular when I was a kid in the ‘90s (Unsurprisingly, I also didn’t like those lol). :giggle:

Deff not trying to offend anyone as I know many here love and collect the animations — more power to you! They’re not my thing, but I love that they bring joy to so many people and give so many something to look forward to each holiday. :heart: I feel like I see a lot of them end up on the resale market, but they must be quite popular still, since LV keeps releasing them! :biggrin:

This thread is so fun! Happy it’s revived. :yahoo: OK here’s my unpopular opinion since it’s that time of year … I hate the Christmas animations! All of them, every year, without exception. In fact, I hate the Vivienne character and all the others (I think there are others? Don’t know their names lol). I just don’t get the obsession; I don’t think they’re cute; I think they’re … weird-looking and a bit juvenile, perhaps? :confused1:

I hate the Christmas animations, too. Well, hate may be too strong of a word as I don't give too much thought to them, but I don't like them and don't understand the appeal. Agree that they're juvenile looking, esp for a luxury bag or SLG. Do other high end luxury designers design their pieces with cartoon characters on them? I haven't seen any.

I hate the Christmas animations, too. Well, hate may be too strong of a word as I don't give too much thought to them, but I don't like them and don't understand the appeal. Agree that they're juvenile looking, esp for a luxury bag or SLG. Do other high end luxury designers design their pieces with cartoon characters on them? I haven't seen any.
Gucci had the Disney characters. That eventually went to the outlets.

Gucci had the Disney characters. That eventually went to the outlets.

LV’s Christmas animation is at least cuter that THAT abomination :lol:

I don’t mind the patterns themselves, as in, I find them cute and whimsical; but I do find them hard to carry or style. I have one SLG (mini pochette) in a Christmas animation pattern from a few years ago which was sentimental, and I did carry it quite a bit when I first got it (as a purse!) but after I got a bigger phone it wouldn’t fit anymore so it got relegated back to SLG for inside a bag. I would never buy another because I find it impossible to style.

LV x YK collaboration is hideous. Same with their previous collabs with Kusama, Murakami, and Stephen Sprouse. Anything where they use the same bag with childish cartoon prints slapped on top is vomity. Last but not least: LV coated canvas with all-over logo is extremely tacky and ugly, as it is already.
Curious, why do you buy LV?

Reactions: NeLVoe
Did I ever say that I did? I don't own a single LV.
However, if I were to buy (my first) LV I would definitely go for the minimal-logo Capucines (the LV logo could actually be covered with the flap) such as this:
No need to come off rude. You're commenting in an LV forum, stating you hate most everything about LV. It's like saying you hate champagne, but can't afford it.

No need to come off rude. You're commenting in an LV forum, stating you hate most everything about LV. It's like saying you hate champagne, but can't afford it.
To play devil’s advocate, this is a thread about unpopular LV opinions which does not forbids non LV owners from having one and voicing it (hence why they don’t buy LV and why their opinion is unpopular among LV devotees)
You don’t know if the poster can or cannot afford champagne (LV) so the metaphor doesn’t work for me