Workplace What will you do if this happened to you??????

Coaching and counseling won't be enough. I'm so vindictive, I actually asked a lawyer (I work with two lawyers in my department) and asked what criminal case can be filed against her. My lawyer officemate said that better to charge her with attempted theft (of the whole bag) since she is holding the opened bag. I don't think tolerating this kind of behavior, with minimal consequences, will do any good. If she got away with it, then who knows when she would repeat it!

Thank you all for giving me your perspective on this. I still can't stop thinking about it. She apologized for her behavior but I still can't help wondering what she was up to. I checked my purse and nothing was missing but who knows what would have happened if I did not come back when I did. I'm actually her immediate boss and will do some coaching and counseling with her tomorrow since I was away from work today. I will also make a formal report to HR so they'll have a record of the incident. It was a very weird situation and I did not know what to do next. I appreciate you all for helping me deal with this and for all your suggestions. Hopefully that will teach her a lesson or two about etiquette.

salsared said:
Thank you all for giving me your perspective on this. I still can't stop thinking about it. She apologized for her behavior but I still can't help wondering what she was up to. I checked my purse and nothing was missing but who knows what would have happened if I did not come back when I did. I'm actually her immediate boss and will do some coaching and counseling with her tomorrow since I was away from work today. I will also make a formal report to HR so they'll have a record of the incident. It was a very weird situation and I did not know what to do next. I appreciate you all for helping me deal with this and for all your suggestions. Hopefully that will teach her a lesson or two about etiquette.

Woah! She dare to ruffle a direct supervisor purse.. That's beyond belief..

Did you have some form of ID or home Address in ur bag? I do heard of people searching purses to find out where people live..for whatever reason..

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

I worked in a corporate office environment for a long time and would never show that type of disrespect to a manager. I would never even have berated a manager (or collegue) for purchasing expensive bags - it's none of my business. It sounds like the two of you are on friendly enough terms that she didn't feel the need to respect you in a supervisor/manager capacity. Glad to hear you are going to take action. Did she look shocked or guilty when you caught her?

Wow you're her boss?? That's even worse, I can't believe someone would have the gall to do that to their boss. It's good that there was nothing missing though. Hopefully this whole thing will be resolved for your sake. :smile:

That is incredibly rude and completely unacceptable. She should never touch anything of yours period, and especially not go thru it. What was she doing, I mean really..... if she really wanted to see it, why not wait till you were back and ask to see it. Report her to HR or to your boss. Someone needs to know- because if something comes up missing later, then you will have a case to build on. NOT COOL! So glad you caught her!

Sounds like she was trying to see if it was real or possibly steal something. That is so crazy, I wouldn't even touch someone else's purse to move it if they were sitting next to me! Oh and you're HER boss? I can't believe she'd have the audacity to look through your purse...

What if she had stolen something from your bag? Nothing would have stopped her! This is appalling! I mean, regardless of how she feels about the type of bags that someone carries, there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for violating someone's personal belongings in ANY way! That is beyond rude! I would have reported her immediately, and then checked my bag to see if anything was missing. I can't understand someone wanting to do such a thing, especially if it's her boss's bag too! That's just plain stupid as well as rude. Doesn't she know that you have the authority to fire her or at least get her into a heck of a lot of trouble at work?