What do you like about hermes?

Gosh nothing :lol:

Seriously...OK, I like that this is a luxury brand that feels different: built on a true equestrian heritage, a bit whimsical, pretty committed to craftsmanship.

I think the bags are beautiful, and many if not most are timeless. I like the idea that a Kelly was chic in 1940 and will be chic in 2040, which is not so far away! I also like that my 1952 Kelly will survive to be 100. The Bolide is already a 100-year-old design. I don't own any other wearable item that is 100 years old except a couple very very fragile Victorian dresses that if I am lucky will survive one night out.

My most practical "like" is that Hermès spares me any need to chase trends on the bag side. I will always have a good bag with me, and so far, it will always be in style - maybe not breaking any new ground, but I don't need that in a bag.

I like that I can have my things repaired forever. I also like that this brand will love and actually maybe prefer vintage pieces when I bring them in, whereas I have seen other brands (looking at you Prada and Chanel) be dismissive of older pieces when brought in for repair.

I like that everything in the Maison is related, for instance rose gold and black spinel jewelry is meant to refer to Rouge H and Noir Box calf.

I like that so many designs were based on a customer's ask or need, like the CDC and the Birkin. I love that an "edgy" design like the CDC is as old as it is, and reminds us that other generations were edgy too.

I like the people who work for Hermès; overwhelmingly I have had good experiences and been lucky enough to spend time with some really lovely humans.

How did I not find this thread? :lol:

For me it’s the bags and above all the leather. I love its tactile qualities, I love the colours. I love the quality of the construction. I love the timelessness of the bags - not just Kelly and Bolide but also other now-discontinued bags like Piano etc, whose interiors are the same as, say, a Verrou 23 today. Why mess around with a design that is practical and just works!

I buy vintage quite a bit and I love that those bags are as beautiful and relevant today as they were when they were first sold. I love that when I buy a vintage Kelly I can often tell if its original owner was right handed or left handed because of the subtle differences in the shape of the handle from how it was carried, and that somehow connects me to other generations of women and men who have appreciated the quality of the house and loved and cared for its products.

How did I not find this thread? :lol:

For me it’s the bags and above all the leather. I love its tactile qualities, I love the colours. I love the quality of the construction. I love the timelessness of the bags - not just Kelly and Bolide but also other now-discontinued bags like Piano etc, whose interiors are the same as, say, a Verrou 23 today. Why mess around with a design that is practical and just works!

I buy vintage quite a bit and I love that those bags are as beautiful and relevant today as they were when they were first sold. I love that when I buy a vintage Kelly I can often tell if its original owner was right handed or left handed because of the subtle differences in the shape of the handle from how it was carried, and that somehow connects me to other generations of women and men who have appreciated the quality of the house and loved and cared for its products.

I love this post, especially:

...that somehow connects me to other generations of women and men who have appreciated the quality of the house and loved and cared for its products.

I don't believe in buying with the thought of passing on to daughters, sons, nieces, nephews etc. People don't know what their children or relatives will like/value, but I have really come to appreciate carrying inherited bags and gifted scarves, the more vintage the better. When I carried my grandmother's clutch to collect my degree, I felt like she was with me, even though I can hardly remember her at all. My mother was there and so was the bag, so we were all there together.

The past 3 times I've been in Paris I make sure I stop by at FSH just to take a look, and every single time there's a bag there that takes my breath away I want to break the glass case and run away with it.

I haven't bought anything from FSH since 2009 and the more I go there the more I feel like it's becoming a zoo, but I don't know--there's something about their bag displays there that feels like the bags are within reach (even when it's not), that it's really a store and stuff is there to be bought and enjoyed. Compared to going to Sevres, for instance, where it feels more like going to someone's dinner party, you don't know anyone there, you just know the host from work, and so you look around the house and marvel at the furniture choices.

So yeah. That's what I like about H. The FSH store :biggrin:

1. The timelessness of what we own. H isn’t about chasing a trend. The threads here are almost always about color matching wardrobe. It’s never “oh, the Kelly was so last year”. My wife has quite the collection that she can pass down for generations.
2. The leather and colors are amazing.
3. When you have a good relationship with an SA, there really is no other retail experience like it.
4. How (most) items hold their value over time.

Omg - how long have you got? (LOL)
I buy the whole Hermes journey thing (just don’t mention the horrid words quota bag-it’s a Kelly or a birkin ok?)
1. Love visiting the boutiques
2. Love the window displays - always a visual treat!
3. Love the party/event scene. Best ones I ve ever been, always good drinks & nibbles
4. Love the whole ‘relationship ‘ attitude
5. Love vintage finds
6. Love to investigate the scarf collections every season
7. Love the new cosmetics line
8. Would love some of the furniture- but most are out of my range.

Ok take a breath now and chill…

One of my favorite thing about Hermes is how each box is fitted for the object it protects. I love opening the silk paper that creases with each time I open. It feels like a small ceremony. Each bag has its own sized box and as you see your SA come in, you try to figure out which bag the box is made for. I love thé boxes for thé exceptional scarves (though they were much more substantial a decade ago). Most other brands just have a few standardized boxes and throw the object in the box.

I also love the architectural design of their stores. They are airy, built with exceptional materials, full of surprises, and comfortable while also being very chic and formal. It’s a perfect balance of grandeur with simplicity and approachable, which conveys the greater style of Hermes. Some of the most recent store openings are not as beautiful as the more established one. The Ginza Maison is an architectural masterpiece. The staircases tailored to each store makes visiting each new store exciting.

The leathers are heavenly, but I think we can all agree on this. I have bags from all the other houses often compared to Hermes, but no bag compares to the feel and chicness of a Hermes bag. Since Covid, I have worn a Hermes bag everyday. I just do not gravitate to my other bags despite having added a few to my non Hermes collection.

The colors! No place does color like Hermes does color. The blue and greens Hermes comes out with are just sublime.