What do H fans think of LV?

catsinthebag

adopt a shelter pet!
O.G.
Sep 7, 2010
OK, so this is a totally first-world dilemma ... :biggrin:

I've never been a huge fan of LV because of the prominent logo and ubiquitous nature of some of their bags (literally, you can't walk through Boston on any given day without seeing a Neverfull ... or eight). I can appreciate why some people love them but have never felt the appeal. Part of it is, when LV logo-mania was at its height several years ago, I saw too many women carrying LV bags with a sort of superior attitude (not that most LV lovers are like this, but it's what I saw in the location I lived in at the time and it was a huge turn-off).

However, this is the second autumn in a row that I have felt myself strangely drawn to buying a Speedy B. Fall/winter is coming, and I'm feeling a definite itch for a higher-end bag that zips shut and is weather proof. I'm pretty sure the style will work for me as I have a couple of Longchamp Le Pliage Cuir bags that are essentially the same thing -- a zipped duffle with a cross-body strap. Longchamp is great but it isn't giving me the luxe feeling I'm craving. Basically, I want an easy-to-use, all-weather bag that still feels high-end. In that way, the Speedy B feels like the bag that should fill that void. As much as I love and use my H bags, I know that when it's sleeting in January, I'm going to be looking for a different option,

BUT .... -- and so many of you can probably relate to this -- another part of my brain is screaming, "But it's not H! And for that price, I could put that money toward another H bag -- or buy a new CSGM!"

So, I'm looking for some discussion to help focus my ping-pong-ing brain! :panic: Do you ladies have this bag? (I'm looking specifically at the Speedy B30 in Damier Ebene.) Do you find it goes against the H-fanatic's love of understated, non-logo'd elegance? Or does it simply fill one of those slots in a collection that H doesn't fill (I see my Chanel flaps as fitting in this category).

Would love any and all thoughts. Thanks!

I think LV bags are completely different from H bags. I use my LV bags when I don't want to worry about getting my bags dirty or wet. When traveling, I put my H bags inside a huge neverfull for the plane. I can put that on the floor or in the overhead bins without worrying. I also use LV bags made of monogram canvas or epi leather when raining. They can get drenched without any problems.

I like LV. I personally am not a fan of the Damier prints but I do like the original monogram and their leather lines. The quality issues definitely drew me away from the brand, there are just way too many imo. But their designs are fun and quirky, especially with their new creative director, Nicolas Ghesquiere.

I have an epi Speedy and a Petit Noe that looks great and so far have been indestructible. They are my don't care winter bags.

LV goes out when the city roads and pavements are covered in really bad dirty salty slush. H leather hardwearing as it is, could show permanent salty marks.

Reactions: catsinthebag
I think LV bags are completely different from H bags. I use my LV bags when I don't want to worry about getting my bags dirty or wet. When traveling, I put my H bags inside a huge neverfull for the plane. I can put that on the floor or in the overhead bins without worrying. I also use LV bags made of monogram canvas or epi leather when raining. They can get drenched without any problems.

That care-free quality and durability is one of the main reasons I'm thinking of getting one. Also love the travel history behind the brand.

I like LV. I personally am not a fan of the Damier prints but I do like the original monogram and their leather lines. The quality issues definitely drew me away from the brand, there are just way too many imo. But their designs are fun and quirky, especially with their new creative director, Nicolas Ghesquiere.

When I heard LV hired NG, I was really intrigued. Loved him at Balenciaga!

LV canvas bags are incredibly useful. They are so light and easy to carry in all types of situations. I also like their SLGs.

I dont have a Speedy B, but I could see that as a convenient bag for commuting.

I have an epi Speedy and a Petit Noe that looks great and so far have been indestructible. They are my don't care winter bags.

LV goes out when the city roads and pavements are covered in really bad dirty salty slush. H leather hardwearing as it is, could show permanent salty marks.

My sister calls it "snirt" (snow + dirt). The winter we had in Boston 2 years ago started me on this path. I remember snow falling into my Evie. A Kelly was out of the question. Even my usual workhorse GP was too open to the elements, and I lived in fear of slipping, dropping my bag and the contents going everywhere in the snow and salt. That's when I really started thinking about the worry-free, zip-shut option. I already hate New England winter enough, without blaming it for damaging an H bag!

Reactions: Red&Black
This popped up under new threads, and although I don't have anything H, I thought I'd chime in...

I have about 10 LV items and just this past year decided to venture out and try something else. I purchased a small Chanel flap which I love, but find it less functional than my LV bags.

I only have 1 bag in ebene print (my husband likes it the most bc it's less common around here). It's 10 years old and is in mint condition.

I don't baby my bags and find LV canvas to be really durable. I'm not familiar with quality issues.. Had one issue (minor) and they were great and took care of me. IMHO they do a good job standing behind their products.

I think the speedy B in ebene would be a perfect choice!

I would only buy LV epi leather as it's not plastered with logos. And it's a very hardy leather although a bit plastic-y looking. I have owned and sold a few of them and now i have one Alma PM and one compact wallet in epi. They are so hard wearing and I don't have to worry about rain etc.

Thanks for reminding me about Epi. I don't like the plastic-y quality, but some of the colors are really pretty. Wish they made an Epi Speedy with a cross-body strap!

Reactions: autumnbubble
This popped up under new threads, and although I don't have anything H, I thought I'd chime in...

I have about 10 LV items and just this past year decided to venture out and try something else. I purchased a small Chanel flap which I love, but find it less functional than my LV bags.

I only have 1 bag in ebene print (my husband likes it the most bc it's less common around here). It's 10 years old and is in mint condition.

I don't baby my bags and find LV canvas to be really durable. I'm not familiar with quality issues.. Had one issue (minor) and they were great and took care of me. IMHO they do a good job standing behind their products.

I think the speedy B in ebene would be a perfect choice!

Thanks for chiming in. I've heard LV has good customer service so it's good to hear you say that about them fixing a problem.

Congrats on your Chanel flap! IMO, the flaps are great for certain occasions, but it's hard to use them as everyday bags unless you carry very little.

Catsinthebag-
Sorry on my phone and not sure how to quote.. Yes, customer satisfaction seems to be high on their list. Thanks for congrats on flap. I completely agree, it is hard to use them as everyday bags. Maybe I'll get a Chanel tote sometime in the future.

All the LV bags (with exception of some seasonal items currently launching) are on the website along with pricing (just in case you haven't checked it out).

The last bag I purchased was the noir Retiro which came with a crossbody strap, but I believe you can purchase various straps separately (in case you want to get epi speedy). Also, they recently redesigned the leather speedys. They actually lowered the price on the new ones and included an outside pocket.

Happy shopping [emoji4]

Catsinthebag-
Sorry on my phone and not sure how to quote.. Yes, customer satisfaction seems to be high on their list. Thanks for congrats on flap. I completely agree, it is hard to use them as everyday bags. Maybe I'll get a Chanel tote sometime in the future.

All the LV bags (with exception of some seasonal items currently launching) are on the website along with pricing (just in case you haven't checked it out).

The last bag I purchased was the noir Retiro which came with a crossbody strap, but I believe you can purchase various straps separately (in case you want to get epi speedy). Also, they recently redesigned the leather speedys. They actually lowered the price on the new ones and included an outside pocket.

Happy shopping [emoji4]

Thanks, Sotto! I saw the redesigned Empreinte Speedy and the outside pocket is very appealing. Unfortunately, I have very mixed feelings about the logo print (one of the reasons for this thread), and also thinking, for this purpose, sticking with canvas (or maybe epi since someone suggested it) for the lightweight/weatherproof/durability reasons.

Who knows, though? Maybe if I fall down this rabbit hole an empreinte may be in my future as well!