What are some of your unpopular Chanel opinions?

I want so badly to like the 22. It has such a cool vibe. I just can’t seem to find one that seems like it has nice quality leather. I’ve looked in different locations from the US to Europe while traveling and I can’t get excited by the plasticky feel. The only one I handled that had thick, nice leather was in St. Tropez.

Reactions: lolasparks
People who say they "only buy vintage because it's better quality" are not telling the whole truth. You would buy new if they were 5k instead of 10k. They hold up a lambskin bag with flat quilts and creases and go on and on about how the hardware is gold plated. Ok but what about the rest of the bag?
This is the best comment—- I hate seeing people spend $5k for a beat up bag!

1) I don’t want water, champagne, an apple, nor a biscuit when I shop. I don’t plan on being there for hours so please don’t offer me brunch/lunch. If I was thirsty or hungry I would have drunk/ate before I entered the store.

2) Their costume jewelry, other accessories, scarfs, hats, and mittens can be found at Wal-Mart. They are tacky and definitely over priced.

3) SLG’s are beautiful and should not be looked at as wasting money. You need something to put your financial cards in, change, and money regardless of what handbag you have.

4) The classic flaps are gorgeous but not worth the price.

5) Their packaging is horrendous minus the camellias and gross grain bow. Their bags and shoeboxes feel like cheap cardboard and their tissue paper could use an upgrade. It’s like sandpaper. I expect better quality materials when one is spends thousands at a store.

6) I don’t like people giving SA’s gifts. Do you give the people who take your mortgage or water bill gifts? No! So please stop it. It’s not genuine at all.

7) This is a general comment about handbags but I hate straps. They take away from the bag itself and makes your clothes look wrinkled/bunched up. Carrying an slg pouch or a top handle handbag looks so classy.

8) Most people use all luxury brands as status symbols.

9) Their ballerinas with bow look horrible. I just want to cut them all off.,

My unpopular Chanel “purse” opinion is that for several years now chanel is making too many bags without Innovation- just for the sake of pushing another sale. Chanel used to have the chicest of bags. Now some of the bags look repetitive and lack luster.

And second unpopular opinion- Chanel bag market is over saturated - in part bc the fake look as good as the real.

People who say they "only buy vintage because it's better quality" are not telling the whole truth. You would buy new if they were 5k instead of 10k. They hold up a lambskin bag with flat quilts and creases and go on and on about how the hardware is gold plated. Ok but what about the rest of the bag?
Bizarre take. :lol:

There certainly are people who are disingenuous about why they buy what they buy. But, your perspective is really limited.

All vintage isn’t worn out. Lol! I and many others only buy pristine when we buy preloved Chanel bags.

And while I’m happy to buy new when a bag speaks to me, 90% of my Chanels are preloved because 1) I prefer the quality of construction & hardware 2) I prefer older features such as single flaps, bijoux chains, etc. 3) I’m not a big Chanel fan overall so they aren’t the centerpiece of my wardrobe.

Also, I’m a jewelry girl. So, when I spend $10k or more on something fun for my wardrobe, it’s going into fine jewelry - not a handbag. :loveeyes: This past weekend I spent $50k on 3 pretty pieces and no bag would have made me happier.

So, different strokes for different folks. :tup:

My unpopular Chanel “purse” opinion is that for several years now chanel is making too many bags without Innovation- just for the sake of pushing another sale. Chanel used to have the chicest of bags. Now some of the bags look repetitive and lack luster.

And second unpopular opinion- Chanel bag market is over saturated - in part bc the fake look as good as the real.
This really resonated with me. I look at my classic flaps and think meh because they just aren’t exciting to me anymore. IMO CF’s need to be the backbone of a broader, vibrant, evolving line of bags. Not the headline and just the same ol same ol - just in new colors each season.

And the proliferation of fakes really killed my desire to own anything recognizable - partly from fatigue of seeing the thing and partly because I don’t want to be mistaken for carrying a fake. For bags, I’ve started moving to independent and bespoke bags that represent ME and MY style. Same for jewelry - I’m glad I never really liked the recognizable (now heavily knocked off) pieces and am glad my collection is dominated by unique or custom crafted items.

I can't get past the faux, fake, bonded leather some of these handbags are made of.
Face Palm GIF