Wash your Coach in Washing Machine?

I've tried Grandmas Secret and didn't think it was anything special. You can wash this bag in the sink with Dawn or any dishwashing liquid. Because the leather is patent, it won't absorb water readily so it should hold up fine. Make sure you rinse really well. You can use Soilove (available at the 99 cents store) for stains. Really most stain removers are safe as long as they don't contain bleach. After you rinse, wrap it in a towel to absorb excess water. Dry off the leather parts, then lay out to dry. When it is just damp, reshape the bag by stuffing it with towels and let it dry completely.

If there are any ink marks, you should tackle those first before you wash the bag. Use alcohol or acetone (nail polish remover).
So, you don’t have to do anything with patent leather? Just let it dry as is ?

Dry it off with a towel. It should be fine. It is water resistant. It will only have problems if the water has a chance to soak in. I carry patent bags in the rain.
Thanks. There is a bag in a thrift shop nearby that’s been there for a while, a scarf print with patent trim. The fabric is soiled, but I think I can deal with it. I decided it’s a no go because of the patent trim, but maybe I’ll reconsider.

Reactions: whateve
T
I've tried Grandmas Secret and didn't think it was anything special. You can wash this bag in the sink with Dawn or any dishwashing liquid. Because the leather is patent, it won't absorb water readily so it should hold up fine. Make sure you rinse really well. You can use Soilove (available at the 99 cents store) for stains. Really most stain removers are safe as long as they don't contain bleach. After you rinse, wrap it in a towel to absorb excess water. Dry off the leather parts, then lay out to dry. When it is just damp, reshape the bag by stuffing it with towels and let it dry completely.

If there are any ink marks, you should tackle those first before you wash the bag. Use alcohol or acetone (nail polish remover).
Thanks So MUCH for all that detailed information on how to clean a coach bag. That will definitely help ALOT!! And that saves me from buying Grandma's Secret stain remover if it doesn't work that well. I already have Dawn dish soap so I can use that and I will probably just go to the dollar store for some stain remover from there... thanks!! I appreciate your help...at least now I know how to clean a dirty bag the right way. And I might be buying another one hopefully on eBay that's if I get lucky and I believe it sateen and it only has 2 pictures and it looks fine online but you never know. You can't really tell until you see it in person plus some of the seller's don't always mention the flaws or if it needs a good cleaning. Which I wish they would tell you but I know it's because they don't want less bidding or money for it so that's just part of how it goes on there. BUT to the girl who responded to my post... THANK YOU for helping me!! I really appreciate it ALOT.... I also saw on YouTube I think it's good to purchase a nail brush that's kinda big if possible BUT with soft bristles as you can find... usually they aren't too too soft were it won't work right but it's to clean the fabric with the soap better and faster. And is much better than a toothbrush which would take forever!! Although a toothbrush is good for zippers I heard. But I saw you do it in gentle circular motion but if this is not correct and might do damage someone please let me know. And if something else works better I would also like to know that too. Thanks for your input. :smile:

I must admit, I was very nervous to wash my signature coach bag in the washing machine. However, I took the risk after spot cleaning it with the coach fabric cleaner to no avail. I washed it on delicate cycle with a few other delicate clothing items. It did clean well! No harm done. I allowed it to air dry. Please note: this was not my first coach bag. It is my 6th.
I have heard GREAT things to clean a coach handbag with the inside lining and even the outside material...it's a carpet and upholstery cleaner called Tuff Stuff I actually heard about it in a video on YouTube and when I searched for it on the Walmart website I found it for $4 or $5 I forget which but it's worth it because I was reading the 58 reviews and all of them mostly were good ones... quite a few actually mentioned about how well it works on getting coach purses to look like brand new!! And it's probably less messy compared to other stuff you could use to clean like liquid soap or spray on stain remover because this is foam and you just spray all over and wait 30 seconds and rub it in and it disappears.. what's better than that!? I would take that over water and bubbles any day.. LOL especially since you have to sponge that up afterwards with a dry washcloth or towel...I'm sure you still have to probably wipe down the bag after the Tuff Stuff but not as wet probably as the soap I would think so probably less drying time.... can't beat that!! :smile: and you can still use rubbing alcohol for any ink marks although I was told never use alcohol on any leather because it dries it out but on leather the dollar store spray stain remover might work good but I'm not positive about that part so don't hold me to that one...LOL leather is more tricky with chemicals so you have to be more careful...or maybe you could try baby wash for the leather? Only because it's not as harsh. I'm just guessing on the last part...I'm not too sure what to do to clean leather actually...but if anyone else happens to know feel free to add your input...

I have heard GREAT things to clean a coach handbag with the inside lining and even the outside material...it's a carpet and upholstery cleaner called Tuff Stuff I actually heard about it in a video on YouTube and when I searched for it on the Walmart website I found it for $4 or $5 I forget which but it's worth it because I was reading the 58 reviews and all of them mostly were good ones... quite a few actually mentioned about how well it works on getting coach purses to look like brand new!! And it's probably less messy compared to other stuff you could use to clean like liquid soap or spray on stain remover because this is foam and you just spray all over and wait 30 seconds and rub it in and it disappears.. what's better than that!? I would take that over water and bubbles any day.. LOL especially since you have to sponge that up afterwards with a dry washcloth or towel...I'm sure you still have to probably wipe down the bag after the Tuff Stuff but not as wet probably as the soap I would think so probably less drying time.... can't beat that!! :smile: and you can still use rubbing alcohol for any ink marks although I was told never use alcohol on any leather because it dries it out but on leather the dollar store spray stain remover might work good but I'm not positive about that part so don't hold me to that one...LOL leather is more tricky with chemicals so you have to be more careful...or maybe you could try baby wash for the leather? Only because it's not as harsh. I'm just guessing on the last part...I'm not too sure what to do to clean leather actually...but if anyone else happens to know feel free to add your input...
I've tried Tuff Stuff. I wasn't impressed. You should wear rubber gloves when you use it. Plus, if you don't rinse, it stays on the bag. At least washing in the machine, you know all the soap is gone. I've washed many vintage leather bags - many of us have. We have a rehab club, which has lots of information about things that worked and things that didn't. https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/coach-rehab-and-rescue-club.833400/

Reactions: Lake Effect
I've tried Tuff Stuff. I wasn't impressed. You should wear rubber gloves when you use it. Plus, if you don't rinse, it stays on the bag. At least washing in the machine, you know all the soap is gone. I've washed many vintage leather bags - many of us have. We have a rehab club, which has lots of information about things that worked and things that didn't. https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/coach-rehab-and-rescue-club.833400/
Okay, sounds GREAT!! Thanks for the information and the link so I can read up on some stuff I need to know because obviously I have NO IDEA what I'm doing LOL

Hi, actually I am trying to decide how I am going to clean my bag that's filthy... I looked up soilove on eBay and it said in the description not to rub it after it's put on the fabric. So how does the stains get out good then? Or is this not true maybe? And I was actually thinking about buying a delicate mesh laundry bag and putting it in the washer on delicate because I''m not to sure exactly on how to clean it by hand washing and it's SO dirty which the lady I bought it from never mentioned that I think it would take me forever to clean it myself. But my question is if I put any kind of stain remover on the bag and put it in the washing machine can I also use laundry detergent or is that not necessary and too much? And also if I use a stain remover on it do I still need to rinse it off before going in the washer since it would be on delicate cycle? Or is that a dumb question? Sorry but I'm sure it's obvious I have NO CLUE what I'm doing and I seriously need help with this or else I can't use my new coach bags. Oh, plus I just bought 2 more on eBay . One I just received today and of course that's dirty too!! And no mention of that either I guess eBay is known for that I'm learning and the 3rd bag I haven't received yet and the seller described it in excellent condition so hopefully I will get lucky with this one... I HOPE!! Or else I'm probably not buying anymore for awhile... although I think 3 is enough for now anyway :smile: but this is a picture of my 2nd one and I think it should be okay to put in washer I hope and my 3rd one is a grey and purple Maggie Madison chain link op art handbag that I was searching for and they were pretty hard to find and expensive but luckily I found one at a good price and purple is my favorite color so I'm really happy about this one :smile: This is not a picture I took of the bag it's one from the eBay listing I just got it today and didn't feel like taking a new picture so I just did a screenshot and of course you can't see how dirty it is in the picture until get it and see it in person. But Thank YOU to anyone who answers my post!! I really appreciate the help ALOT!! :smile:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180614-170203.png
    Screenshot_20180614-170203.png
    826.7 KB · Views: 250

this is adding on to my earlier post... I thought about it and the handbag I posted a pic of I will probably just hand wash instead of putting it in the washer because I think it would be fairly easy to clean by hand. As long as I can figure out exactly what I am going to use to clean it with. LOL there is SO many choices and hard to figure out what actually works the best... everyone says something different although I always keep hearing about Dawn as the best option that always works so I might just keep it safe and go with that plus I don't have to buy it since I already have it so it saves me money.

this is adding on to my earlier post... I thought about it and the handbag I posted a pic of I will probably just hand wash instead of putting it in the washer because I think it would be fairly easy to clean by hand. As long as I can figure out exactly what I am going to use to clean it with. LOL there is SO many choices and hard to figure out what actually works the best... everyone says something different although I always keep hearing about Dawn as the best option that always works so I might just keep it safe and go with that plus I don't have to buy it since I already have it so it saves me money.
How did it come out? Which method did you use? I'm in the same boat, but with a gray Madison Sateen. I tried Coach fabric care, and am not impressed. It still looks real dingy, and literally took me all day to do. And its pilling now. I think washing machine might be the way to go...I have a front loader, so that should be less harsh...

How did it come out? Which method did you use? I'm in the same boat, but with a gray Madison Sateen. I tried Coach fabric care, and am not impressed. It still looks real dingy, and literally took me all day to do. And its pilling now. I think washing machine might be the way to go...I have a front loader, so that should be less harsh...
This is an old thread. Visit our rehab club for advice here: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/coach-rehab-and-rescue-club.833400/

Just washed my Hamptons Weekend green sateen tote in the washer with All Free & Clear detergent on cold "hand wash" cycle with a few towels and pillowcases. Unfortunately, the green suede trim is now noticeably damaged and the suede dye has leaked into the white trim/interior. None of the pre-existing stains came out. It looks much worse now than when I put it in.
I just wanted to create this post to (hopefully) save someone else the heartbreak of ruining their bag

Just washed my Hamptons Weekend green sateen tote in the washer with All Free & Clear detergent on cold "hand wash" cycle with a few towels and pillowcases. Unfortunately, the green suede trim is now noticeably damaged and the suede dye has leaked into the white trim/interior. None of the pre-existing stains came out. It looks much worse now than when I put it in.
I just wanted to create this post to (hopefully) save someone else the heartbreak of ruining their bag
Unfortunately, suede isn't a washing machine friendly leather when it is trim on a bag. I've machine washed bags before, but the only time I would ever wash suede is if there's nothing to lose by washing it. In my experience, suede bleeds and even regular ( older leather) leather can bleed......I've not found any of the more modern leather to bleed.