Tips or suggestions for cleaning diamonds

I'm cleaning my Tiffany DBTY earrings as we speak. :smile:

I use the dish soap & water method... I combine a bit of liquid dish soap and water in a little metal bowl with my jewelry, and then heat it until nearly boiling. I allow it to cool and then use a soft toothbrush to clean my jewelry. Then, I rinse, rinse, rinse and finish with a shot of Windex to make the diamonds sparkle.

Thank you!!! And you are right bc I see the scratches easier when they are freshly cleaned!!!!! And maybe I am able to see them so well bc the rings are still brand new.... Part of me kept saying when I do get them polished I'm going to be a full nut case all over again instead of a partial nut case since they are a month old now!!!! Do I really want to go through that again?? I have seen WG rhodium plated rings with this patina you are talking of and they are gorgeous!! i hope mine will look that good and the tiny scratches will be less visible to me....especially now that i know where they all are thanks to my loupe!!! LOL Thank you so much for all the help!!! PS can't wait to hear all about your new bracelet!!!

Just step away from the loupe! The more you look the more it will drive you nuts. And she's right. As soon as it's fresh, you'll see the first one and go nuts again. The only way to not get any scratches is to not wear them. And why bother?!!

I'm cleaning my Tiffany DBTY earrings as we speak. :smile:

I use the dish soap & water method... I combine a bit of liquid dish soap and water in a little metal bowl with my jewelry, and then heat it until nearly boiling. I allow it to cool and then use a soft toothbrush to clean my jewelry. Then, I rinse, rinse, rinse and finish with a shot of Windex to make the diamonds sparkle.

If they're WG or plated, don't use Windex or anything with ammonia, it chelates the plating right off!

If they're WG or plated, don't use Windex or anything with ammonia, it chelates the plating right off!

It's a good thing that I can't wear white gold or plated jewelry -- I'm allergic!

Did anyone try vodka?

I used to soak a white gold & diamond ring in vodka and allow it to dry before wearing it because I was having reactions to the metal alloy... Didn't make much of a difference.

Ive used vodka and everclear in a pinch. I usually just use 91% rubbing alcohol if Im gonna use alcohol. And only then I use it for a quick wipedown.

Just step away from the loupe! The more you look the more it will drive you nuts. And she's right. As soon as it's fresh, you'll see the first one and go nuts again. The only way to not get any scratches is to not wear them. And why bother?!!

I looped yesterday after cleaning and saw several new scratches!!! Must hide the loupe!!!! As I sit in my office today staring at my beautiful, freshly cleaned shiny rings, I can't help but wonder..... How many NEW scratches will they get this week! It's an illness!!!!!

I can even see scratches with the naked eye on my ring (the platinum) but I really don't care about it. The diamonds are still perfect and shine like crazy and I love wearing it instead of worrying about it.

I'm neurotic enough that if my rings are on my left hand is rendered useless. If I want to use it beyond holding a beverage or eating or typing or using my phone I remove my rings.

I'm neurotic enough that if my rings are on my left hand is rendered useless. If I want to use it beyond holding a beverage or eating or typing or using my phone I remove my rings.

LOL. I am the same way but now I have rings on both hands which poses problems!!! In fact I have my nail appt this afternoon after work so I am home for lunch now and I took off my rings! I won't wear them to the nail salon. Crazy, right???? And I won't hold anything metal. When I have to deal with paper clips at work I use my palm!!!!! I just changed into my yellow gold set and I'm fine wearing them to the salon because the diamonds are smaller!!!! This is also the set I wear when we vacation.
I cleaned my rings again last night LOL only because I am having my nails done later and wanted them sparkling clean! I didn't loupe!!!! But I'm having problems with little hairs from my wool coat and gloves getting stuck in the prongs and in between my channel set stones. Any suggestions as to how to get them out? It was very difficult last night!!!! Especially when they are too short to pull out!!!!!