Tips or suggestions for cleaning diamonds

While I realize that rings do lose gold through wear alone, and can even wear thin through many years of use, I wore my previous YG wedding set for 15+ years without ever having it polished. That was really my point about YG, is that in my eyes it doesn't need polishing at all.

White gold, from my understanding, can be different depending on the alloy used, and when rhodium plating wears away the colour can change slightly. Some alloys are much better than others and there are even some that don't get warmer as the plating wears away or that aren't plated in the first place. But I know a lot of people who have their rings polished and replated periodically, which was something I never wanted to have to do with my rings.

Clearly, everyone is different about what bothers them, but my point about the YG was that in my eyes it doesn't need polishing. So unless there is gross damage, in which case the setting would need repair or replacement, louping it was beside the point for me. The tiny scratches - front or back - were part of the package and didn't need examining or polishing out.

I used to have my yellow gold rings polished because I didn't like the color of it when it wasn't shiny. And again with the scratches! I would love how my yellow gold rings looked when I took them in to remove the scratches and they came back this shiny gold color!
My upgrade is white gold with platinum shanks on both rings. The jeweler said they don't like to set diamonds into an elaborate setting with platinum because you risk bending the metal when you wear the rings and bang them. The diamonds could come loose when platinum bends. Several jewelers urged me to go with the white gold because i wanted elaborate settings and its a stronger metal but since I wanted platinum my jeweler agreed to platinum shanks. I'm thrilled with the rings... They are my dream rings!!!! It's the scratches I could do without... But it's love! Not scratches!!!!!

The platinum shanks you can polish more like every 6-12 if you really want to, but it's not really necessary, but sure. The gold, no. I do think it's totally bizarre that they talked you out of plat for setting diamonds. Plat is a LOT stronger than gold for setting a stone. It makes me think they're not as adept with working with platinum, elaborate or not, and that's why they were trying to convince you to go with wg.

The platinum shanks you can polish more like every 6-12 if you really want to, but it's not really necessary, but sure. The gold, no. I do think it's totally bizarre that they talked you out of plat for setting diamonds. Plat is a LOT stronger than gold for setting a stone. It makes me think they're not as adept with working with platinum, elaborate or not, and that's why they were trying to convince you to go with wg.

That's what I thought when DH and I started to discuss upgrading my rings "one day".... We actually went to five different very reputable jewelers with questions and we were told the same thing every time. I even googled it and I read the preferred metal for channel set elaborate settings is gold, be it white or yellow because when you bang plat it can bend thus risking the channel set diamonds to dislodge. DH told the jeweler we have used for twenty something years that I really wanted plat and he agreed to plat shanks. He waited a while to do the upgrade so it was a surprise and I absolutely love both rings!!!! Tomorrow is ring cleaning day so the loupe will be coming out again!!! I haven't louped in days and I'm proud of myself LOL

ame: it's ring cleaning day and I thought of you! I picked up the clementine scented dish soap at target yesterday bc it was on sale!!! Smells wonderful!!!! Quick question for you: how often can I safely soak and clean my rings in this dish soap? I absolutely love how they look after a cleaning and would love to do this more often than my once a week. I did loupe after cleaning, of course!!!! And I see new tiny scratches that weren't there last time on the metal. How do more and more happen when I'm soooo careful with them???? Anyway at first I was upset... Then I put them in their boxes and said its more love. That's all. Love. So thank you for that!

ame: it's ring cleaning day and I thought of you! I picked up the clementine scented dish soap at target yesterday bc it was on sale!!! Smells wonderful!!!! Quick question for you: how often can I safely soak and clean my rings in this dish soap? I absolutely love how they look after a cleaning and would love to do this more often than my once a week. I did loupe after cleaning, of course!!!! And I see new tiny scratches that weren't there last time on the metal. How do more and more happen when I'm soooo careful with them???? Anyway at first I was upset... Then I put them in their boxes and said its more love. That's all. Love. So thank you for that!

scratches are going to happen, it's inevitable! enjoy your jewellery and don't worry about these minute little surface scratches :smile:

as for cleaning, you could soak your rings once a day if you wanted. it should be fine.

scratches are going to happen, it's inevitable! enjoy your jewellery and don't worry about these minute little surface scratches :smile:

as for cleaning, you could soak your rings once a day if you wanted. it should be fine.

Thank you! I don't know why these little surface scratches really bother me! I think it's bc I'm really careful with my hands and I'm always wondering how they got there!!!!

Thanks for your cleaning input! I would love to soak my rings daily if its safe!

Its just inevitable. It sucks, I know.

You could soak them in dish soap and water like every night or twice a day if you wanted. Its not harsh at all. You don't need to brush them every day though.

Its just inevitable. It sucks, I know.

You could soak them in dish soap and water like every night or twice a day if you wanted. Its not harsh at all. You don't need to brush them every day though.

How do the scratches get there if I'm so careful?!!! Every time I clean them there are more! And I don't even use a regular brush on the metal. I use a small soft makeup brush that has no hard bristles so its as if I'm dusting them with the dish soap !!! I'm upset but I keep thinking its more love. Come June I will have them both polished and re rhodiumed. SIGH!!!! If its safe I will soak them daily and lightly dust them with this makeup brush! Love the clementine scent btw!!!!

How do the scratches get there if I'm so careful?!!! Every time I clean them there are more! And I don't even use a regular brush on the metal. I use a small soft makeup brush that has no hard bristles so its as if I'm dusting them with the dish soap !!! I'm upset but I keep thinking its more love. Come June I will have them both polished and re rhodiumed. SIGH!!!! If its safe I will soak them daily and lightly dust them with this makeup brush! Love the clementine scent btw!!!!

Make sure you rinse, rinse, rinse. Diamonds have an affinity to grease and soap, both which can leave a residue on the diamonds. It won't adversely affect them, but distracts from the luster. Are our rings platinum or WG ?
You should try and avoid polishing them too much if they are WG, as it will wear the claws and takes a tiny bit of gold off every time. Platinum can be polished more frequently .

Make sure you rinse, rinse, rinse. Diamonds have an affinity to grease and soap, both which can leave a residue on the diamonds. It won't adversely affect them, but distracts from the luster. Are our rings platinum or WG ?
You should try and avoid polishing them too much if they are WG, as it will wear the claws and takes a tiny bit of gold off every time. Platinum can be polished more frequently .

Thanks!!!! My rings are white gold rhodium plated on top channel setting with platinum shanks. DH just gave me them in Dec so I'm thinking I will take them in June for polishing and re rhodium both. Every time I clean them and they are so beautiful and shiny I loupe them. Because I have issues LOL. and I always see new surface scratches on the metal. Which makes me sad. :sad: I need to stop louping!!

Thanks!!!! My rings are white gold rhodium plated on top channel setting with platinum shanks. DH just gave me them in Dec so I'm thinking I will take them in June for polishing and re rhodium both. Every time I clean them and they are so beautiful and shiny I loupe them. Because I have issues LOL. and I always see new surface scratches on the metal. Which makes me sad. :sad: I need to stop louping!!

Even if you re-plate them, they will get scratched again within a few days ? They are brand new if you just got them !!!
I worked for a high end jeweler and our advise is once a year at the most ! At Cartier they say every 5 years !
Throw away that loup ! It's doing you no good. Just enjoy them. Life is too short to worry about scratches, plus it won't take away from their beauty anyway. As long as you keep your rings reasonably clean ( once a week a soak and brush, is plenty ), they will sparkle and make you happy.

Just my thoughts. I have abit of the " want everything as shiny and prestine as possible" bug too, but am recovering and finally can enjoy what I have and wear it without worrying :smile:

Even if you re-plate them, they will get scratched again within a few days ? They are brand new if you just got them !!!
I worked for a high end jeweler and our advise is once a year at the most ! At Cartier they say every 5 years !
Throw away that loup ! It's doing you no good. Just enjoy them. Life is too short to worry about scratches, plus it won't take away from their beauty anyway. As long as you keep your rings reasonably clean ( once a week a soak and brush, is plenty ), they will sparkle and make you happy.

Just my thoughts. I have abit of the " want everything as shiny and prestine as possible" bug too, but am recovering and finally can enjoy what I have and wear it without worrying :smile:

I thought about that. And it's still on my mind. Yes I just got these rings last month and if and when I get them re rhodiumed and polished different scratches will pop up daily. As I read your post I smiled and said to myself this is exactly what I have been thinking!!!! So you think I should wait to have them polished and re rhodiumed then? I do a full cleaning every Sunday ( dish soap and hot water) I used to use connoisseurs sonic cleaner for the sonic machine but I didn't use the machine bc I was terrified of it dislodging my stones! Instead I would mix it with hot water but then I read that it contains ammonia and I read on here the ammonia can hurt the WG rhodium plated portion so I stopped using that stuff! Every morning I put my rings on and rinse them under hot water to remove any dirt on them as best as I can. I like them to be as shiny as possible. The loupe is my problem. I can't stop!!!! And my diamonds are perfect it's the metal I find the issues with! These darn surface scratches that pop up out of no where!!!! Then my heart sinks when I stare at them! It needs to stop!!

I thought about that. And it's still on my mind. Yes I just got these rings last month and if and when I get them re rhodiumed and polished different scratches will pop up daily. As I read your post I smiled and said to myself this is exactly what I have been thinking!!!! So you think I should wait to have them polished and re rhodiumed then? I do a full cleaning every Sunday ( dish soap and hot water) I used to use connoisseurs sonic cleaner for the sonic machine but I didn't use the machine bc I was terrified of it dislodging my stones! Instead I would mix it with hot water but then I read that it contains ammonia and I read on here the ammonia can hurt the WG rhodium plated portion so I stopped using that stuff! Every morning I put my rings on and rinse them under hot water to remove any dirt on them as best as I can. I like them to be as shiny as possible. The loupe is my problem. I can't stop!!!! And my diamonds are perfect it's the metal I find the issues with! These darn surface scratches that pop up out of no where!!!! Then my heart sinks when I stare at them! It needs to stop!!

In my humble opinion, polishing them isn't going to make you happy. You can see scratches easier on freshly plated rings. By June all those tiny scratches will combine to a lovely patina and you won't see each and every scratch. It's not recommended more then once a year, particularly if the claws are WG.

Hugs and throw away that loup ! The only one needing one is the jeweler , once a year !

PS. Wait till I get my bracelet, I am going to be obsessed for a week or so , I dread it already . Lol

In my humble opinion, polishing them isn't going to make you happy. You can see scratches easier on freshly plated rings. By June all those tiny scratches will combine to a lovely patina and you won't see each and every scratch. It's not recommended more then once a year, particularly if the claws are WG.

Hugs and throw away that loup ! The only one needing one is the jeweler , once a year !

PS. Wait till I get my bracelet, I am going to be obsessed for a week or so , I dread it already . Lol

Thank you!!! And you are right bc I see the scratches easier when they are freshly cleaned!!!!! And maybe I am able to see them so well bc the rings are still brand new.... Part of me kept saying when I do get them polished I'm going to be a full nut case all over again instead of a partial nut case since they are a month old now!!!! Do I really want to go through that again?? I have seen WG rhodium plated rings with this patina you are talking of and they are gorgeous!! i hope mine will look that good and the tiny scratches will be less visible to me....especially now that i know where they all are thanks to my loupe!!! LOL Thank you so much for all the help!!! PS can't wait to hear all about your new bracelet!!!