Tips or suggestions for cleaning diamonds

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. That would work fine too. Dish soap tends to cut grease a little better than baby shampoo probably would but this works just fine. Be VERY gingerly with those bristles so they don't snag any prongs or get between small stones.

WingNut likes this.
  2. Take it to a reputable jeweler. They can ultrasound clean it. If it's white gold, you can get it rhodium again.

Then go to Walmart and buy the jewelry cleaner for real jewelry. Make sure you don't buy the one for silver, etc. You can clean it in that solution like once a month. :smile:

3. Washing up liquid and very hot water, is what I was advised.

4. #529 Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    Best thing I have found .. I use Dawn - the plain ol blue stuff that has no lotion or any of that jazz added to it. Hot water 5 min soak and a soft tooth brush

5. I cleaned my diamond yesterday with warm water, a soft toothbrush and a few rubs of the brush on a bar of Kirk's castille soap. I don't think they need special cleaners just thorough rinsing.

6. Same, but I actually place the jewelry on the stove in pyrex. Use low heat for about 20-30 minutes. Then rinse with clear water and soft toothbrush. The best! Only downside is your house will smell like amonia for awhile😝

7. This is what I use. I've a friend who works in a jewellery store that uses Windex on her diamond pieces. She blots them with a paper towel after. A couple of jewellers told me not to use the jewellery cleaner solutions as may tarnish the gold

8. Don't use Windex or anything containing ammonia on whitegold/gold. It is too harsh on the metal and if there's rhodium plating on your white gold, it will wear it off faster. It's fine on Platinum.

9. I always wondered about that. Thanks Ame.

10. Sure thing!

11. I use hot water, dish soap and Invisible Glass cleaner. I let my ring soak (sometimes for a few hours if I forget about it) and I then use a baby tooth brush. It always comes out so sparkly!

12. #537 Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Today I placed my diamond ring into freshly boiled filtered water (Boiled in a kettle)...I wont be doing this again, but can this damage the diamond? I have heard excessive heat can "milk" a diamond or turn it into a milky white color. I left it for about a minute. I was able to touch the water but it not for more than second. I then rinsed it with the same temperature of water to avoid any thermal shock.