Tips or suggestions for cleaning diamonds

Not sure if it is good or bad to do this but I use baby shampoo, warm water and a tooth brush

That would work fine too. Dish soap tends to cut grease a little better than baby shampoo probably would but this works just fine. Be VERY gingerly with those bristles so they don't snag any prongs or get between small stones.

Reactions: WingNut
Take it to a reputable jeweler. They can ultrasound clean it. If it's white gold, you can get it rhodium again.

Then go to Walmart and buy the jewelry cleaner for real jewelry. Make sure you don't buy the one for silver, etc. You can clean it in that solution like once a month. :smile:

I cleaned my diamond yesterday with warm water, a soft toothbrush and a few rubs of the brush on a bar of Kirk's castille soap. I don't think they need special cleaners just thorough rinsing.

I use a little household ammonia in some warm water, leave over night and brush with a gentle soft jewellery cleaning brush, and voila, good results :smile:
Same, but I actually place the jewelry on the stove in pyrex. Use low heat for about 20-30 minutes. Then rinse with clear water and soft toothbrush. The best! Only downside is your house will smell like amonia for awhile😝

Don't use Windex or anything containing ammonia on whitegold/gold. It is too harsh on the metal and if there's rhodium plating on your white gold, it will wear it off faster. It's fine on Platinum.

I use hot water, dish soap and Invisible Glass cleaner. I let my ring soak (sometimes for a few hours if I forget about it) and I then use a baby tooth brush. It always comes out so sparkly!

Today I placed my diamond ring into freshly boiled filtered water (Boiled in a kettle)...I wont be doing this again, but can this damage the diamond? I have heard excessive heat can "milk" a diamond or turn it into a milky white color. I left it for about a minute. I was able to touch the water but it not for more than second. I then rinsed it with the same temperature of water to avoid any thermal shock.

Last edited: