Tips or suggestions for cleaning diamonds

My mom always uses toothpaste on her jewelry and it makes the pieces sparkle so nicely. So I got into that too and actually used it on one of my Tiffany's silver necklaces and it looks as good as new.
Otherwise if I'm in the area, I'll take it to my jewelry store to have them do it for me.

I had two diamond rings valued recently, and when I got them back they looked so much more sparkly, like new.
I hadn't realised how dirty they'd got :shame:

Is there a safe/effective way of cleaning them every now and again? One is a prong set solitaire and the other is a channel set full eternity both in white gold.

Thank you :heart:

An ultrasonic cleaner will get your diamonds sparlking like MAD! Especially if you use hot water, some mr. clean and some windex in the machine. I usually put mine in for a cycle or two and then clean it with a soft toothbrush.

You can get ultrasonics just about anywhere, sharper image has them, and I'm sure you could find them at a home store as well.

For quicker touch ups, I LOVE Connoiseeurs jewelry soap and gel. Both work great.

Ready for this one? I swear this is what my jeweler told me to do (again) after my last visit to him.

You should boil your diamond and gold rings in a saucepan of water with a touch of dishwashing liquid for about 30 minutes. Do not let the water evaporate or you have bigger problems. Does not matter what the pan is made of. (I would not do this with any other metal or stone.) Rinse with regular water and dry with a HAIRDRYER set on hot to blow away the water. Hold it right up next to the ring.

This is what they do with my jewelry every time I come to visit, except they use the steamer to blow away the water and to dry.

if it is only mu Ering and band that i'm cleaning ..i use a a tooth brush, brush them with mr. clean detergent and rinse in a very warm water and blow dry in warm setting(hair dryer) and it does clean like ultrasonic. now, if i have to do a lot, i use my ultrasonic from sharper image which i bought real cheap from ebay( just 3 sprays of glass cleaner mixed in a very warm water)

I have a Branson 200 ultrasonic cleaner that works wonderfully. Before that, I used a toothbrush and hot water w/alcohol, sometimes windex. My jeweler uses steam.

I also have an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner that I purchased from the Sharper Image. I use Mr. Clean (seriously) in it and my jewelry comes out great. For tough grime, I scrub the ring with a toothbrush before and after I use the machine. I either let them air dry or I dry them with a cloth.

soak in windex or in a glass with a couple of denture tabs and water, works like a charm!!
43515763_o.jpg

43515771_o.jpg

shiny sparkly!

An ultrasonic cleaner will get your diamonds sparlking like MAD! Especially if you use hot water, some mr. clean and some windex in the machine. I usually put mine in for a cycle or two and then clean it with a soft toothbrush.

You can get ultrasonics just about anywhere, sharper image has them, and I'm sure you could find them at a home store as well.

For quicker touch ups, I LOVE Connoiseeurs jewelry soap and gel. Both work great.

Totally agree with the SI Ultrasonic & Connoisseurs Gel Cleaner.

Thanks for all the hints girls, I'm not totally sure what an ultrasonic is but I'll look into it! :yes:
I actually read one in a magazine last night about using vodka, anyone tried that?

I drop all my jewelry into a cup of 3/4 hot water and 1/4 ammonia. Let it soak while I do whatever {brush teeth, etc . . . } and then scrub w/ a toothbrush.
It's cheap and as effective as anything else I've tried, and I've tried everything! I have the Ultrasonic cleaner as well and you can smell th eammonia in their little solution when you pour it in:yes:

I drop all my jewelry into a cup of 3/4 hot water and 1/4 ammonia. Let it soak while I do whatever {brush teeth, etc . . . } and then scrub w/ a toothbrush.
It's cheap and as effective as anything else I've tried, and I've tried everything! I have the Ultrasonic cleaner as well and you can smell th eammonia in their little solution when you pour it in:yes:

That was the recipe we used at the jewelry store I worked at ... only 16 short years ago! Our ultrasonic machine also heated the solution. Worked out some serious grime!

The one benefit I have found with boiling my gold/diamonds, is that they stay sparkling clean longer. I haven't found that with any other method. Stays clean for weeks rather than days. And the price is right!