The Vintage Thread!

Hi all I am new around here and just bought my first vintage Chanel bag (first luxury designer bag, honestly) here in Japan from an established 2nd hand shop. I just popped over from the authentication thread where the lovely people over there confirmed it was legit and mentioned it was a somewhat uncommon flap style and I was just wondering what you lovely people might have to say on the subject, as I am not all that clued into the subtleties of the brand and its even harder to get in-depth information about really old vintage.

This is supposed to be the equivalent of a classic flap in black lambskin and gold-hardware from 1989-1991 and what would today be considered M/L size. Although the old girl has a bit of light wear here and there, it looks way worse in well-lit photos than in person where its hardly noticeable, and I am wondering if a bit of leather conditioning could help her out. As others have said, the lambskin is beyond butter on this. I never knew leather could even feel this soft.

Any info or tidbits you could give is appreciated, I was amazed at how inexpensive what to me was my holy-grail that I happened to find walking into a random shop in the Tokyo suburbs.
This bag is breathtaking. Advice? Enjoy it. I love it.

So glad I found this thread! All my bags are vintage with the exception of one. The weight, quality, and hardware just don’t compare to the newer bags, though the newer bags are in their own class as well. I just got this vintage jumbo single flap in PERFECT condition yesterday. It’s almost brand new - there’s not a single flaw to be found. It’s the perfect size and the caviar leather is so durable. I love it. Also showing my Maxi Jumbo XL that was serviced by LS.

Attachments

• CD6D1563-B480-4CBC-865A-1E8A0112468C.jpeg
    CD6D1563-B480-4CBC-865A-1E8A0112468C.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 777
  • 897B4DED-3A16-4921-96D8-7AEC082C0F50.jpeg
    897B4DED-3A16-4921-96D8-7AEC082C0F50.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 777
  • AD3E7136-2A4F-4FC9-8BCB-829DAB883E66.jpeg
    AD3E7136-2A4F-4FC9-8BCB-829DAB883E66.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 770
  • 46551A03-7B65-4884-8111-8BDC682A78D9.jpeg
    46551A03-7B65-4884-8111-8BDC682A78D9.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 776
  • CFD86B58-9B28-4F6C-AE8F-D76129571895.jpeg
    CFD86B58-9B28-4F6C-AE8F-D76129571895.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 764
  • 878F1B63-746D-436D-AD78-0AB48C3CF2DB.jpeg
    878F1B63-746D-436D-AD78-0AB48C3CF2DB.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 755
Having a look at some of my bags yesterday. I need to do another family photo in a few weeks when my bag returns from the spa.

I’m a creature of habit and simplicity. I have the same bag in different leathers, and all my bags are structured and have GHW. I love, love, love the deep golden yellow shiny hardware against the black backdrop. So very elegant and tasteful.

Attachments

• C0E3804A-8B6A-4C80-8242-F39F6C72D907.jpeg
    C0E3804A-8B6A-4C80-8242-F39F6C72D907.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 717
Puffy is ok, overinflated looks silly. I guess I know them when I see them, and yes -- they look fake to me too. To each his own though!
I like the old puffy look of the vintage bags, too, and I browse this clubhouse thread all the time. :biggrin: Some of the later lambskin models look a little too overinflated to me, although I’ve noticed that some of the current lambskin flaps aren’t as puffy, thankfully.

This is going to sound really strange because I know nearly everyone will disagree with me on this, but I kinda like the “deflated” look myself, as long as the quilting is even. To me it shows the natural patina of the leather, much like the distressed look of the reissue bags. :nuts:

girls, are you up for a chat? I need opionions! is it still correct that we classify vintage as somewhat like 20 years and older?

I was on the lookout for a medium flap for a bit less than a year. I own a 2018 new mini, a 1989 mini and thought something in between that would be nice. I was super lucky and found a 2004 lambskin set and the quilts are - judging by the images - superrrr puffy, like my current 2018 mini caviar. I wonder: being made in 2004, would that bag still be better, quality wise, than the current flaps with thin leather, uneven flaps and bad stitching? I know we all love the proper vintage vintage craftmanship which I can confirm with my 1989 mini is INSANE. Should I have gone for a much older medium flap, or is 2004 a good *time for chanel*? I know they still did the proper goldplating back then which was a must for me. I will probably know more once the bag is actually here but I would like to get opinions for a chit chat to kill the time until it gets here.

On a side note: I tried and bid on older models before but somehow, spending a lot of money on a 30 year old bag seemed more difficult than spending it on one from 2004 - which, if u think about it, is also already 14 years ago haha. I dont like the super pancake flat flaps though so I was trying to finde one that was a bit puffier.

My very first vintage bag, circa 1998! Got it from Collector Square which seems to be a legit reseller based in Paris. I’m still waiting for authentication by Etinceler and also on the Authenticate this thread. I love that it has the old Celine minimalist vibe that’s quite rare for Chanel lol!

43026c818744ec74b4f3ec5449f7b520.jpg

efa6c6110baf833c74dd75e9dadb41f2.jpg

59F31601-E630-4DCE-84DB-557E4E559C30.jpeg Technically, this baby is 5 years too young to be a vintage- its a 15 year old lambskin medium flap. I love the rich gold plating and I believe I was lucky scoring a full set from a collector who didnt use it much - the quilts look like the bags shown to me at the boutique just the other month. I gave it a conditioning with the cadillac premium lotion and look at it! Flawless...

I suppose those loving the flatter quilts wont like this one, but since I already have a flatter 1988 mini, i wanted a puffy medium :smile: (ignore the mess in background, unpacking luggage...)

Hope you all are off to an amazing start in 2019! Finally get to contribute to this wonderful community :smile:

I found my first vintage Chanel on the day I finished writing my Phd dissertation. Just received her today. Can’t believe how breathtakingly beautiful she is! She is a 1 series, roughly the same age as me. Her patent leather has aged so elegantly and is in excellent condition. It was the sparkly gold bijoux chain that caught my eyes first, and it feels even more luxurious when holding it. I could wear her as a long or a short shoulder bag, or as a relatively short cross body. There is a kiss lock inside that can hold essentials. My phone (an iphone plus) also fits into the two larger pockets. I love how unique and understated she is. She marks an important moment in my exciting academic journey, and really is a piece of art that has stood the test of time.

Attachments

• 0.JPG
    0.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 471
Hope you all are off to an amazing start in 2019! Finally get to contribute to this wonderful community :smile:

I found my first vintage Chanel on the day I finished writing my Phd dissertation. Just received her today. Can’t believe how breathtakingly beautiful she is! She is a 1 series, roughly the same age as me. Her patent leather has aged so elegantly and is in excellent condition. It was the sparkly gold bijoux chain that caught my eyes first, and it feels even more luxurious when holding it. I could wear her as a long or a short shoulder bag, or as a relatively short cross body. There is a kiss lock inside that can hold essentials. My phone (an iphone plus) also fits into the two larger pockets. I love how unique and understated she is. She marks an important moment in my exciting academic journey, and really is a piece of art that has stood the test of time.
Congrats on your dissertation and on a wonderful find!! Very beautiful!!

Reactions: SueQiao

Congratulations to you, and what a special bag to celebrate. Beautiful!!