The Vintage Thread!

I’ve enjoyed reading the many posts on this thread! And it really steered me toward vintage Chanel. I purchased my first bag last month, a preloved 226 reissue. And it’s beautiful for sure. But I just opened up my second Chanel purchase, a vintage jumbo maxi flap XL.....and it’s beyond amazing gorgeous. There is no comparison in terms of the leather and the hardware. The quality difference to this newbie is very obvious. I paid a little more than others I saw, but the condition is so pristine, and so worth it! Including a few pix below. Will definitely be looking to add more vintage Chanel to my collection☺️❤️13EF8B30-2C64-4D2E-95CE-0F23503C7549.jpeg8D1F9641-D2F5-4283-9A1B-19E21A4C9026.jpeg6105AEAE-45DB-4154-9790-E6DEDDD1D88C.jpeg9D0A9BF3-4AC4-492A-BB10-04C96B64C780.jpegEF55A5E2-B07B-4B27-8EB4-177A16CA9831.jpeg

Am I the only one who prefers the less puffy look of vintage Chanel quilted bags than the newer overinflated ones?
I don’t mean the deflated or flat ones (that’s loss of oil on the lambskin), but the ones that just look ‘right’? (Anyone who’s been around them since the 80’s knows what I mean).
At first, the fake ones looked ‘over stuffed’ and that’s why now I associate the real ones with it. Sorry... (the looking overstuffed has nothing to do with any stuffing though, I just want to clarify, as far as the fake ones are concerned. It has to do with the stitching).

Reactions: OCMomof3
I’ve enjoyed reading the many posts on this thread! And it really steered me toward vintage Chanel. I purchased my first bag last month, a preloved 226 reissue. And it’s beautiful for sure. But I just opened up my second Chanel purchase, a vintage jumbo maxi flap XL.....and it’s beyond amazing gorgeous. There is no comparison in terms of the leather and the hardware. The quality difference to this newbie is very obvious. I paid a little more than others I saw, but the condition is so pristine, and so worth it! Including a few pix below. Will definitely be looking to add more vintage Chanel to my collection☺️❤️View attachment 4237834View attachment 4237835View attachment 4237836View attachment 4237837View attachment 4237838

Gorgeous!

Reactions: jbags07
Hi Ladies,
I’m thinking of purchasing my first ever vintage bag, but a little hesitant since the hologram series number sticker is gone due to normal wear and tear. Is that common with vintage bags,l due to age?

The seller is including the original Chanel authenticity card and an authenticity voucher from Etinceler.
Yes, they can fall off or become ineligible. People who never bought their bags with the intent of selling them misplace the authenticity cards, too.
Once you feel a real Chanel lambskin (especially in old bags), I think it almost authenticates itself, because there’s nothing like it. I don’t believe a counterfeiter would have access to that kind of leather back then or it would be cost effective to use such high quality when people wouldn’t want to pay that much for it or be able to tell it apart from the real deal. Let me note I’m not an authenticator, just someone who’s been around them for a long time.
The problem now is with some super fakes, but other times even a $500 fake won’t be able to replicate the look and feel of Chanel’s lambskin.

Advice please
Would you purchase a vintage bag without the authencity card even though you are buying from a reputable seller that authenticates the bag ? What are the downsides of this? Is resell value decreased later?
I know people who never intended to sell their bags who almost never kept the cards in their bags (back then it was almost like wearing something with the tags on. Maybe you put the cards on a box where you keep your extra buttons, but if they were misplaced who cares).
Nowadays with all the fakes floating around I guess the authenticity card is a lot more important to have because it is one extra measure against counterfeiting, but not the ultimate one. I’m not an authenticator, but as a buyer, I would prefer to buy a bag where all details of the bag itself check out than one with an authenticity card where the bag itself has some questionable things.
In either case, I would have it authenticated and only buy from a reputable source where returns are accepted should something go wrong.

Hi Ladies,
I’m thinking of purchasing my first ever vintage bag, but a little hesitant since the hologram series number sticker is gone due to normal wear and tear. Is that common with vintage bags,l due to age?

The seller is including the original Chanel authenticity card and an authenticity voucher from Etinceler.

Hope my comment will be helpful -
I was in my Chanel phase about 20 yrs ago & bought a Lunch Box (looks now like a Chanel Vanity Case) at NM Dallas. Had a wonderful SA. Knowledgeable with great taste & knew my style. I sold the bag about 5 yrs ago because I was not wearing it & helped to fund a Hermes. There was NO hologram when I listed & noted it. The bag was bought immediately & I regret the sale
My conclusion is -
I bought the bag from a reputable institution. The authenticity markings may be different due to age. You should ask for proper documentation of the Bags history. Do not feel embarrassed to ask lots of questions for your peace of mind

Last edited:
Reactions: NOIRetMoi
Hi all I am new around here and just bought my first vintage Chanel bag (first luxury designer bag, honestly) here in Japan from an established 2nd hand shop. I just popped over from the authentication thread where the lovely people over there confirmed it was legit and mentioned it was a somewhat uncommon flap style and I was just wondering what you lovely people might have to say on the subject, as I am not all that clued into the subtleties of the brand and its even harder to get in-depth information about really old vintage.

This is supposed to be the equivalent of a classic flap in black lambskin and gold-hardware from 1989-1991 and what would today be considered M/L size. Although the old girl has a bit of light wear here and there, it looks way worse in well-lit photos than in person where its hardly noticeable, and I am wondering if a bit of leather conditioning could help her out. As others have said, the lambskin is beyond butter on this. I never knew leather could even feel this soft.

Any info or tidbits you could give is appreciated, I was amazed at how inexpensive what to me was my holy-grail that I happened to find walking into a random shop in the Tokyo suburbs.

Attachments

• IMG_20181105_211719.jpg
    IMG_20181105_211719.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 561
I came across a vintage double flap at a local resale site. Looks to be in good vintage condition overall. Seller states it’s from 1989, it has authenticity card and that the inside has been replaced by Chanel in London more recently. The inside does look very nice in the pictures, limited wear on the red leather.

Can anyone confirm that Chanel does or used to do this?

Reactions: Kokokokeko
Am I the only one who prefers the less puffy look of vintage Chanel quilted bags than the newer overinflated ones?
I don’t mean the deflated or flat ones (that’s loss of oil on the lambskin), but the ones that just look ‘right’? (Anyone who’s been around them since the 80’s knows what I mean).
At first, the fake ones looked ‘over stuffed’ and that’s why now I associate the real ones with it. Sorry... (the looking overstuffed has nothing to do with any stuffing though, I just want to clarify, as far as the fake ones are concerned. It has to do with the stitching).
Puffy is ok, overinflated looks silly. I guess I know them when I see them, and yes -- they look fake to me too. To each his own though!