The Sopranos

Okay, so I just watched the finale, and I had to google some interpretations of fellow watchers. I found what this guy said on www.thesopranos.com forum.. it made a lot of sense.

The countless web forums regarding the Sopranos ending is very eclectic. Many of us are pissed off, others confused and others elated at the brillant ending.

Let the speculation begin! Until we hear a commentary or interview from David Chase regarding what the ending means, we can all draw up our own conclusions. Here is mine:

In a previous episode this season Bobby and Tony are talking at beach house (the one where they get into a fist fight) and they discuss what its like to get wacked. They in one way or another discuss how when it happens everything goes black and you don't hear anything. It just ends.

This is the key to the ending. TONY IS KILLED AND WE DIE WITH HIM. It further iterates that we have been viewing the show for all of these years form Tony's perspective and WE get wacked WITH Tony! Just like for Tony, everything for us just suddenly goes black and we don't hear anything. Note this is also the only episode with no soundtrack during the credits.

This theory on it is further backed by the overall tone of the show. One of the most prominent aspects of the show is its sense of "realism". Throughout the show everyone deals with issues that are very realistic and people can relate to such as alcohol and drig abuse/rehab, mental wellness, the difficulties in raising children, health ailments (cancer, depression), and on and on. These very realistic aspects of the Sopranos are never shown in any other Mob-Type show/movie. This is one of the greatest aspects of the show.

That said, in real life, loose ends are never really wrapped up in a tidy ending. In fact life goes "On and On and On and On" (as proclaimed in the song in the diner in the last scene). So the reality is that it was NOT TIME for all the loose ends in the show to be tied up. Carmela with her real estate endeavors, Meadow going to law school, AJ getting into the movie industry, Syl recovering from the gun shots, ect. None of THESE storylines are ready to be tied up. The only one that is ready to be tied up is Tony's storyline and just as when we pass away in real life we don't know how the storylines of our family and friends will end. Thus, since we have "DIED" with Tony in the diner, we too will never really know how everyone elses storyline ends.

That is my theory on it. To me, it is a bittersweet ending. Of course, like all of us, I have an emptiness inside not knowing what will happen to all of our favorite characters but on the flip-side like the rest of the show I think it is a brilliant ending and really stays true to its form, which is unexpected, realism that hits closer to home than any other show in history.

I dunno, I guess it makes sense... because what DIDN'T make sense is why Meadow was running in so quickly the way she was? I didn't get it! Why was she in such a hurry! She had either news... or saw something that Tony didn't see.

Anyways, sorry if this is a repost of information that's already been said. I just thought you'd like to hear an interpretation that seems quite plausible. It's a sad ending, but it makes sense.

^^^very interesting perspective - like Meadow running in is the last thing Tony sees? Perhaps.
I still say its leaving the door wiiiiiide open for a movie. I can't believe the producers and the studio heads are done making money off this project yet.

There was nothing boring or not tied up about the last episode. Everything was done for a reason. How about these theories of the finale?

When Tony walks into the diner he looks at himself sitting down at the table...you can be sure of this b/c he is wearing different clothes when he sits down. In the previous seasons it had been told to us that Tony's dad died just as his daughter (Janice) walked in...if you watch closely you will see Janice walk in shortly after Tony sits down...this is used to signify the possibility of that happening again. Then you will see the sports store owner who Tony destroyed walk in wearing a brown kinda hunting jacket...he is the guy that a couple seasons back got into gambling trouble with tony and tony took over his store...HE IS THE ONE WHO WACKS TONY...he comes in and sits down hunched over...hiding his eyes as not wanting to be noticed...and alas...a voice over: "You probably dont even here it when it happens rite?" (this is Bobby talking to Tony in the 1st episode of the season...Tony had this flashback as he was laying down in the last episode...there would be no reason to have had that in unless it had some huge significance...and finally...Tony's daughter walking in to see her dad get shot just as Janice did so many years ago. You hear the bell of her walking in and then blackness...nothing...it signifies the neverending cycle of the SOPRANO family. AJ will become Tony...Meadow > will become Janice...Carmela will become Livia (Tony's mom)...and the cycle of violence goes on and on and on....absolutlely amazing!!! I HATED the ending at first but when I wached it again...and understood it...it is really the most amazing ending possible for the show. We really would not have been satisfied with the boring "Tony getting shot in the head" ending. This was priceless. Remember, this was not an action show...it was a drama > about a FAMILY... >

> Now all you DVR-ers need to go home and watch it again and again and again!

OR...

"So here is what I found out. The guy at the bar is also credited as Nikki Leotardo. The same actor played him in the first part of season 6 during a brief sit down concerning the future of Vito. That wasn't that long ago. Apparently, he is the nephew of Phil. Phil's brother Nikki Senior was killed in 1976 in a car accident. Absolutely Genius!!!! David Chase is truly rewarding the true fans who pay attention to detail.

So the point would have been that life continues and we may never know the end of the Sopranos. But if you pay attention to the history, you will find that all the answers lie in the characters in the restaurant. The trucker was the brother of the guy who was robbed by Christopher in Season 2. Remember the DVD players? The trucker had to identify the body. The boy scouts were in the train store and the black guys at the end were the ones who tried to kill Tony and only clipped him in the ear (was that season 2 or 3?).

Absolutely incredible!!!! There were three people in the restaurant who had reason to kill Tony and then it just ends. This was Chase's way of proving that he will not escape his past. It will not go on forever despite that he would like it to "don't stop". Not the fans!!! Tony would like it to keep going but just as we have to say goodbye, so does he. No more Tony and I guess we are supposed to be happy that Meadow didn't get clipped as well (she would have been between the shooter and Tony) since she is the only one worth a crap in that family."

Wow. Thanks for all of the background info. I hadn't paid alot of attention in past seasons, and regret it now. All of your perspectives are really helpful, as I just couldn't decide what happened to Tony. Everyone else I figured had to go on with life, but I just wasn't sure about Tony.

Big moment for Journey at 'Sopranos' end

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer 57 minutes ago

NEW YORK - The songwriters of Journey's power ballad "Don't Stop Believin'" were "jumping up and down" when they learned a few weeks ago it had been licensed for use in the final episode of "The Sopranos."
But even they couldn't believe how it would prove so integral to one of the most memorable final scenes in television history.
"It was better than anything I would have ever hoped for," said Jonathan Cain, Journey keyboard player, who watched at home with his wife and family.
Tony Soprano chose the song after flipping through a jukebox at a New Jersey restaurant where he dined with his family. The song played in the background as ominous characters flitted about and, right as Steve Perry was singing "don't stop," the HBO series did exactly that, for good. The ending infuriated some fans, amused others and intrigued all.
Cain, who wrote the song with Perry and Neal Schon, didn't know how it would be used when they agreed to the licensing. Cain kept the fact that it was going to be in at all a secret, then watched the episode with his family.
"I didn't want to blow it," he told The Associated Press on Monday. "Even my wife didn't know. She looked at me and said, `You knew that and you didn't tell me?'"
Journey released the song in 1981, and it reached No. 9 on the singles chart. It has taken a life of its own since then, often reflecting the attitude people had toward Journey itself. "Don't Stop Believin'" brings back fond memories for many, is unbearably cheesy for others.
It's easy to imagine Tony Soprano, back in the day, taking a young Carmella to a Journey concert.
David Chase, creator of "The Sopranos," has an eclectic musical taste. He's curated two songtrack albums for his series, and made music a key part of the stories, particularly as the ending credits rolled. It's possible "Don't Stop Believin'" was part of the elaborate inside joke he made of the final episode.
It's also possible he found the end of the last verse too hard to resist: "Some will win, some will lose," Perry sings. "Some were born to sing the blues. Oh, the movie never ends. It goes on and on and on and on ... "
"Don't Stop Believin'" has been featured in a several television and movie scenes. It crept onto an iTunes top-10 list when, during the same week, it was on Fox's "Family Guy" and in a romantic scene on MTV's "Laguna Beach."
Sports teams have adopted it, too. After the Chicago White Sox used it in 2005, Perry sang it at the parade to celebrate the team's World Series victory.
Cain, who has a 13-year-old and twins aged 11, said the songwriters are careful about how they license the song, and have resisted several advertising campaigns. They debated its use in the film "Monster" with Charlize Theron but, in the end, "she's too cute to say no to," he said.
He was a little nervous Sunday when, as he watched with his children, the mob boss Phil was shot and viewers heard his head crunched as it was run over by an SUV. But he loved the final scene.
"It was very smart writing," he said. "I always love movies where you don't see the guy whacked. You wonder whether he's going to get whacked."
It could help Journey's visibility, too, as it did for singer Nick Lowe when his song "The Beast in Me" was used over the closing credits for "The Sopranos" very first episode. There had been some speculation that Chase would return to it for the finale.
"A lot more people knew Johnny Cash's version (of `The Beast in Me') and this put Nick's version on the map," said Jake Guralnick, Lowe's American manager. "Nick's version is a lot more vulnerable."

Cain said it indicated that a wish he and Perry had — that their songs would have a long life — was coming true. "It puts our feet in the cement," he said. "We're a staple in the American music culture. Like us or not, we're here to stay."

(http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070612/ap_en_tv/tv_sopranos_that_song;_ylt=AreIuo0WrFfFLMLGSogzYutxFb8C)

When I watched the finale I saw the ending as "life goes on" - the cycle of life, etc. I saw the final restaurant scene as showing Tony's paranoia - as if he thought at any moment he, himself could be wacked - and was trying to simultaneously take that reality in while keeping in tune with the reality of his family - which has always remained semi-seperate from his "business". I didn't take note of the other characters in the restaurant - but now understanding their importance my theory has changed a bit - I'll have to watch it again (HBO on demand ;)). I thought the purpose for the detailing of these side characters in the restaurant was to further enhance our perspective of Tony's paranoia - and how that paranoia will continue on and on until he is either (A) whacked or (B) Uncle Junior. I think the theory of Tony being whacked at the end is great, but it leaves out the significance of Uncle Junior's role in the final episode. The final episode focus's alot on Uncle Junior - and what seems like Tony's realization that the true "end" for him will either have him "whacked" or alone and rather pathetic like Uncle June - which shows us, the audience, that in life there IS no happy ending. What's worse? Being shot in the head and having your head practically steam-rolled over by your wife's car? Or dying alone, unliked, and powerless after years of dementia in an old age home? Where none of the notches on your belt matter... ?

I dunno... interesting though.

For those of you (like me) who are still mourning over the end of the greatest TV show ever - here is the word directly from David Chase:

Thanks to Alan Sepinwall at the Newark Star-Ledger, whose Sopranos blog has been required reading, creator David Chase put a little closure to Sunday night's blockbuster finale.
Chase agreed to talk to Sepinwall about the show before heading off to France with his wife.
Here are some of his comments:
"I have no interest in explaining, defending, reinterpreting, or adding to what is there," he says of the final scene.
"No one was trying to be audacious, honest to God," he adds. "We did what we thought we had to do. No one was trying to blow people's minds or thinking, 'Wow, this'll (tick) them off.'
"People get the impression that you're trying to (mess) with them, and it's not true. You're trying to entertain them."
"Anybody who wants to watch it, it's all there," says the 61-year-old writer/producer who based the series in general-and Tony's relationship with mother Livia specifically-on his own North Caldwell, NJ childhood.
On the possibility of a Sopranos movie: "I don't think about that much, I never say never. An idea could pop into my head where I would go, 'Wow, that would make a great movie,' but I doubt it... I'm not being coy. If something appeared that really made a good Sopranos movie and you could invest in it and everybody else wanted to do it, I would do it. But I think we've kind of said it and done it."
He's toyed with the idea of "going back to a day in 2006 that you didn't see, but then [Tony's children] would be older than they were then and you would know that Tony doesn't get killed. It's got problems."
On adding this season's final nine episodes: "If this had been one season, the Vito storyline would not have been so important. From my perspective, there's nothing different about Tony in this season than there ever was. To me, that's Tony."
On fans' desire to see more "whacking": "I'm the number one fan of gangster movies. Martin Scorsese has no greater devotee than me. Like everyone else, I get off partly on the betrayals, the retributions, the swift justice. But what you come to realize when you do a series is, you could be killing straw men all day long. Those murders only have any meaning when you've invested story in them. Otherwise, you might as well watch Cleaver[FONT=Times New
 Roman]."[/FONT]
On the selection of Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" for the final scene: "It didn't take much time at all to pick it, but there was a lot of conversation after the fact. I did something I'd never done before: In the location van, with the crew, I was saying, 'What do you think?' When I said, 'Don't Stop Believin',' people went, 'What? Oh my God!' I said, 'I know, I know, just give a listen,' and little by little, people started coming around."

On viewer's reaction to the ending: "I hear some people were very angry and others were not, which is what I expected."
On looking back: "It's been the greatest career experience of my life. There's nothing more in TV that I could say or would want to say."
On Agent Harris passing along info on Phil's whereabouts and cheering, "We're going to win this thing!" when learning of Phil's demise: "This is based on an actual case of an FBI agent who got a little bit too partisan and excited during the Colombo wars of the '70s."
On never revealing what, if anything, terror suspects Muhammed and Ahmed were up to: "This, to me, feels very real. For the majority of these suspects, it's very hard for anybody to know what these people are doing. I don't even think Harris might know where they are. That was sort of the point of it: Who knows if they are terrorists or if they're innocent pistachio salesmen? That's the fear that we are living with now."
On why Butchie, introduced as a guy who was pushing Phil to take out Tony, turns on Phil and negotiates peace with Tony: "I think Butch was an intelligent guy; he began to see that there was no need for it, that Phil's feelings were all caught up in what was esentially a convoluted personal grudge."
Sepinwall then outlines his own theories on the final scene.
Theory No. 1: Chase is using the final scene to place the viewer into Tony's mind-set. This is how he sees the world: Every open door, every person walking past him could be coming to kill him or arrest him or otherwise harm him or his family. This is his life, even though the paranoia's rarely justified. We end without knowing what Tony's looking at because he never knows what's coming next.
Theory No. 2: In the scene on the boat in "Soprano Home Movies," repeated again last week, Bobby Bacala suggested that when you get killed, you don't see it coming. Certainly, our man in the Members Only jacket could have gone to the men's room to prepare for killing Tony and the picture and sound cut out because Tony's life just did. (Or because we, as viewers, got whacked from our life with the show.)
Sepinwall also debunks the e-mail that's making the rounds about all the Holsten's patrons being characters from earlier in the series. The actor playing Members Only guy had never been on the show; Tony killed at least one, if not both, of his carjackers. There are about 17 other things wrong with this popular but incorrect theory. d Chase:

"So here is what I found out. The guy at the bar is also credited as Nikki Leotardo. The same actor played him in the first part of season 6 during a brief sit down concerning the future of Vito. That wasn't that long ago. Apparently, he is the nephew of Phil. Phil's brother Nikki Senior was killed in 1976 in a car accident. Absolutely Genius!!!! David Chase is truly rewarding the true fans who pay attention to detail.

This "theory" is not true it has been dis-credited by HBO. DO NOT spread this rumor as truth. Watch the episode again. The actor who sits down in the diner is in the credits as "Man in the Members Only Jacket" he IS NOT credited as Phil Leotardardo's nephew. Nor has ever appeared in a previous Soprano episode (according to HBO). This is also a reference to the very first episode of the Sopranos which was called Members Only.

Who knows what happens to Tony? But he is not whacked by the so-called Phil Leotardo's nephew. Since Phil Leotardo's nephew does not appear in the episode.

I just wanted to clear that up. It was a false overservation that was put on the HBO website from a member of their forum. Like if somebody on this forum said "All Premier Designer bags 1/2 off at Neiman Marcus." Would you really go to NM or call first? Hmmmm....

On the Wiseguys show on Sirius radio, the guy that plays Sil dispelled some of these myths. The host is usually the guy that was Big Pussy on the show, but Sil was the host this time. I have no clue who the other guy was--I thought itwas the guy that plays Paulie but whoever it was his voice was shot bec he was sick. This is what he said:

--tony does not die. The story just ends.
--there will be no movie and if there ever is it will be a prequel, showing how Uncle Jun comes to be and Tony, et al will be kids, and Paulie will be young obviously. Too many people died in the last two seasons to do a movie, and the actors are too old and have physically changed too much since the beginning of the series to show them in the prequel.
--other than Meadow, Carmela, AJ and Tony, no one in that diner had EVER been in the show before, no one is related to any other character in the show--meaning that no that's not Phil's nephew.

That Alan guy from the Newark paper was also on that show and he said the same thing that Sil said.

--there will be no movie and if there ever is it will be a prequel, showing how Uncle Jun comes to be and Tony, et al will be kids, and Paulie will be young obviously.
I love the idea of a prequel.

Too many people died in the last two seasons to do a movie, and the actors are too old and have physically changed too much since the beginning of the series to show them in the prequel.
^ITA

--other than Meadow, Carmela, AJ and Tony, no one in that diner had EVER been in the show before, no one is related to any other character in the show--meaning that no that's not Phil's nephew.

^Absolutely true - see my above post.

Thanks for posting. I'll have to check out this station on my DH's car!

Anytime, I loved your post above so thanks for posting it.

I love that show, I REALLY hope it remains on and doesn't disappear bec of the ending of the show.

Little Steven (the guy that plays Sil) also hosts a show on Underground Garage during the week at like 11am EST. He rocks so hard.

Okay, PLEASE LISTEN AS I HAD A VERY LOOOOONGG AND DREDFUL CONVERSATION WITH MR. SOPRANO HIMSELF

I was with the cast last night at Pier 60 where they were holding a fundraiser even for St. Judes Hospital for Children.

Mr G himself told me "When you die doesn't everything just go black?" Okay Mr G. You win, but for a dead guy you sure look pretty good!