The Sopranos

I saw an article recently that interviewed the show's writer. He said Tony did die and he thought that was pretty obvious. It was not obvious to me as I thought my cable went out! I wish I had the article but it was posted on their Facebook page.

Which clues are you referring to? Care to elaborate? :smile:

I think he dies as well. By the end, he had stepped on a lot of toes and made too many enemies.

The very first episode of the season they call 6a, there is a poem that they recite as they re-introduce all the characters. It's like the seven souls that leave your body when you die. I googled it, and it's by William Burroughs. As each character appears he talks about another soul. I took it as a sort of introduction to the end of Tony's life. Like Chase was announcing out-right that he's gonna die.

Meadow is introduced as the guardian angel. She is the one that calls Tony out of the coma and prevents him from entering the house to die. She isn't there in the diner to save him in the end.

Also, I noticed that while Tony is sitting next to the lake, he becomes annoyed at the bell ringing on the boat. This scene originally drove me nuts. Why was he getting so ticked off, and WHY weren't they explaining it?? In the end, right before the blackout the bell on the diner's door rings. I thought maybe the boat's bell was a premonition of his death, which is why it disturbed him.

There's a man in the diner billed as "man in member's only jacket". There is an episode earlier in the season titled "Members Only" where they make fun of a guy for wearing that jacket. The guy winds up committing suicide because Tony won't let him leave the mob. I think that points to the guy in the diner being a little more important than just a random extra.

Besides the obvious conversation between Bobby and Tony about in the end you don't hear anything...it's just the only ending that makes perfect sense. The loose end of the up coming indictment doesn't matter. No explanation is needed because Tony is dead.

My husband and I both originally thought along the lines that Tony was just paranoid, and we were supposed to feel his tension in that last scene. After watching it again, I don't think that's correct. Tony didn't seem to feel paranoid AT ALL. He sat in the middle of the restaurant and didn't even notice that guy looking at him? I can't imagine Tony not confronting someone he thinks may be a threat.

I don't think David Chase has ever openly said that Tony dies, but he did say that he wasn't trying to screw with the audience, and that all the answers are there. The most satisfying ending, imo, is that Tony died at that moment. It's really the only ending that brings it all together for me.

I just watched the series again to the end.

Here is a sweet little tribute video for those who want a little taste. . .

It really was a wonderful series, with very few episodes that were not on point from start to finish. It still holds up agains anything else out there, in my opinion.

I wish it had ended differently, of course, but not. I have mixed feelings still about the blackout...

I cannot believe how long it has been since this show first aired! Where has the time gone?

Sadly, there will be no reunion now, but this show really remains one of the greats and always will.

David Chase did say he has toyed with the idea of a prequel however...
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/01/david-chase-can-t-escape-the-sopranos-finale.html

Last edited:
I remember meeting my brother's then-girlfriend (now fianceé) one Thanksgiving, and I was helping my mom pack up food for them to take home.

When my mom used to pack up food for him, she'd take off enough of the ham/turkey/whatever for her, my dad and me and send the rest with him.

We didn't have a proper container for the turkey so we wrapped it in plastic wrap/foil. The now fianceé and I struggling to put the package in a bag reminded me of the episode where Tony killed Ralphie and hid his head in a bowling bag. At one point, I remember telling her, "Be careful with Ralphie!"

(It was a struggle, because one of us had to hold the turkey up and the other had to put the plastic bag over it.)

I'm re-watching this. I had seen it back in the day but didn't have HBO so recorded it on a cable station. I don't think I saw everything in order. so now I'm seeing it all from the beginning (I'm on season 2). Some of it I don't remember. I don't recall the Richie storyline and how he died (very deservedly)
Enjoying it - such a good show. so sad that Gandolfini died so young.

I'm re-watching this. I had seen it back in the day but didn't have HBO so recorded it on a cable station. I don't think I saw everything in order. so now I'm seeing it all from the beginning (I'm on season 2). Some of it I don't remember. I don't recall the Richie storyline and how he died (very deservedly)
Enjoying it - such a good show. so sad that Gandolfini died so young.
I can always get sucked into this show of a marathon happens to be on. I watched some last year when they were showing episodes before the Many Saints of Newark came out.

Reactions: sdkitty
I can always get sucked into this show of a marathon happens to be on. I watched some last year when they were showing episodes before the Many Saints of Newark came out.
I just finished the episode where Florio went back to Italy and Carmela is acting like a broken-hearted teen. I find this storyline irritating. Of course he couldn't consummate the relatioship; it would have been a death sentence for him.

Reactions: swags
I saw an article recently that interviewed the show's writer. He said Tony did die and he thought that was pretty obvious. It was not obvious to me as I thought my cable went out! I wish I had the article but it was posted on their Facebook page.
I saw an interview with Chase where he said Tony either died at the end or if not, he would have died soon after. he was bothered that some viewers expressed disappointment they didn't get to see the actual murder

I saw an interview with Chase where he said Tony either died at the end or if not, he would have died soon after. he was bothered that some viewers expressed disappointment they didn't get to see the actual murder
I was not a fan of the ending. It wasn’t that I wanted to see Tony die but I kind of needed something more than the blackout.

I was not a fan of the ending. It wasn’t that I wanted to see Tony die but I kind of needed something more than the blackout.
I've been reading a blog about the show and the guy writing it basically said tony turned into a monster. so I guess I'm wrong to still like him in some way. he did some horrible things but he had redeeming qualities for me - love of family and of animals.

Reactions: swags