~The SHIPPING from Canada to USA thread~ vat, fees, couriers etc...

The thing with Xpresspost is that there is no signature confirmation of delivery. This particular transaction is over 250.00, don't I need signature inorder to get seller protection from ebay.

Thanks for all the info - this is very random and confusing - so typical of governmental institutions! FYI - the duty on my Italian made Bal was 9% (was shipped from France), plus all the other fees the shipping company tacked on. I think I'll stick to buying from US retailers - this last transaction of mine was painful - after paying a lot for secure and quick delivery, the bag was stuck in customs in NY for 10 days - very annoying not to mention really ended up adding to the price of the bag.

I want a bag from Canada very badly, but when I checked with the customs and duty's charges estimate, I couldn't believe it was over twice the amount of the bags insurance value. Is that right? :cursing:

ive never gotten any customs fees incoming to the USA when it comes through USPS. I think the claimed value has to be really high but I don't know the exact amount.

I have gotten charged for packages coming to me via UPS or Fedex... that's not cheap :sad:

ive never gotten any customs fees incoming to the USA when it comes through USPS. I think the claimed value has to be really high but I don't know the exact amount.

I have gotten charged for packages coming to me via UPS or Fedex... that's not cheap :sad:

Yeah I agree, I've never been charged any fees and when I've sent things to Canada, my buyers haven't been charged either.

I believe there is an agreement in place with importing from Canada to the US. I found out the details on the US customs site somewhere and will have a look. I know when I bought two high value coats from Canada and had them sent to the US I didn't incur any customs charges

I believe there is an agreement in place with importing from Canada to the US. I found out the details on the US customs site somewhere and will have a look. I know when I bought two high value coats from Canada and had them sent to the US I didn't incur any customs charges
There is a Free Trade agreement only if the item was produced in either Canada, the USA, or Mexico under NAFTA. Here's the breakdown for ANY importing, whether it's into the US, Canada or anywhere else:
-You are assessed based on the declared value. The declared value is usually the insured value but many sellers skimp on the insurance and still declare at full value so be sure to check that it's fully insured. Despite what many sellers claim, you cannot declare a low value yet insure it for more and have full coverage for the value.
-The tax you pay is your state sales tax. If you are in Canada or Australia, you are ALSO charged GST. If you are in the EU, you pay VAT. It is exactly the same as if you had gone to a local shop and purchased an item, you're paying the same taxes and tax rates depending on state, province, country.
-IF the item was manufactured within a free trade agreement zone for your country, you do not pay duty. Otherwise, depending on the country of origin, the materials used in the product, and what tariff classification your product falls under, you will pay anywhere between 4-32% duty on your import.
-Marking the item as "gift" doesn't do much. Gift thresholds are different for every country. I think Canada doesn't charge under $50 or so, for the US perhaps $200? This I'm fuzzy on as being a business I am not allowed to mark as gift.
-If you recive by courier such as UPS or Fedex, there is an additional brokerage fee that is a tiered amount of anywhere between $20-$500+ depending on the item's value.
-If you get your item and it's a high-ticket item with no charges assessed, either the seller has declared a low value (thereby negating any insurance coverage) or you got super, super lucky. My sense is that as many coountries head into a recession, they will be more strict about charging all relevant fees to ensure they have the appropriate funds coming in for import goods.
I do this every day so let me know if this isn't clear and I will be happy to explain further. I know it seems confusing but just think of what you'd need to pay in the store plus duty if it's not free trade.:yes:

Thank you for that amazing insight, stylefly. What do you think of my individual case? Bought from seller, cost me $370, but we agreed to insure/declare item at USD$200 (I heard somewhere, as you write, that $200-ish usually exempts you). She sent it by Canada Post. My address is in Florida. Think I'll get bombed with a charge?

Please say no, please say no....hehe.

Thank you for that amazing insight, stylefly. What do you think of my individual case? Bought from seller, cost me $370, but we agreed to insure/declare item at USD$200 (I heard somewhere, as you write, that $200-ish usually exempts you). She sent it by Canada Post. My address is in Florida. Think I'll get bombed with a charge?

Please say no, please say no....hehe.
Hmm, let me consult my crystal ball;)!
I think if the ceiling for gifts is $200 you should be okay- there is always the risk they open it and assess the value differently especially if there is a receipt in there but it's not too common. It depends on how busy US Customs is that day!