~The SHIPPING from Canada to USA thread~ vat, fees, couriers etc...

I shipped a box from Indiana to Canada last week.

It left here on Thursday. They brought it back Saturday morning saying I didn't pay enough postage thru click-n-ship. (woops! lol). So Saturday it officially mailed off.

It arrived Thursday to the receiver.

So even in long extended cases from US TO Canada is seven days for the expedited post. (Not most expensive- but allows tracking)

I'm not sure about FROM Canada tho?

I won and paid for an auction on March 31st, I still haven't received it. It was supposed to be shipping from Canada via Canda Post Expedited Parcel.

I tracked the package on the Canadian Post's website and all it says is:
2007/04/0211:24HALIFAX, NS Shipping details electronically submitted

Anyone know what that means?

I think I only have 30 days to file a not received claim, so I may have to just start that process.

The auction was for a bag that is a present for my little sister. :sad: It wasn't super expensive, but this is dissapointing.

this means she got her shipping label online not at the post office. It will show up as accepted at postal office once they actually have the bag in their hand.
As for shipping time, hard to say, i've had bags held up in customs for a month, but it iwll show that on your tracking, Arrived at customs/or entered into city of delivery.

also if she is shipping to the us go to usps.com and try the tracking there. There are times when the canadapost.ca doesnt update and its already left for destination.

Hi all, I posted this in a different forum, but I got no responses, so perhaps I'll have better luck here...

I just bought a Botkier for US $293 from a Canadian boutique. Does anyone know how much the customs fee will be? Are customs fees completely arbitrary? Can the same bag be assessed differently based on the person doing the assessing? What should I expect to pay in fees? I feel like a fool because it didn't even occur to me that there would be a customs fee until after I made the purchase! Thanks to anyone who can help! The package is going via CanadaPost from Montreal to NJ. Thanks!

I highly doubt you'll be charged anything and even if you are the customs charge for the item you described would be something like 4% (~$12). No biggie.:okay:

I'm eyeing a lovely bag on eBay from Canada. I live in the US and was wondering if someone can tell me how customs works! Do I get billed.. or the seller? About how much would it be? Sorry, I don't know anything!!

Thank you!!!!

It is always the receipient who pays the duties (if any). On U.S. - Canada shipments, theoretically anything over $20.00 ($60.00 for gift) could be eligible for fees from the recipient - usually around 13% plus a handling fee. On Canada - U.S. shipments the minimum eligible for fees is much higher - over $200 I believe but I don't know the exact amount.

You can easily do a search on Google for "US customs fees". I believe Americans are allowed to receive around $200 as a gift/merchandise at a time before we have to pay customs/duties.

do any of you know how long a package is usually delayed if it gets stopped in customs? I sent a gift to the US that arrived in the country on the 8th, and my tracking info says that it was stopped at customs on the 11th, then nothing :confused1: I don't understand what's taking so long, it's not like I sent anything that's not allowed to be sent by mail or anything, it was just a care package with local treats and gifts. This is getting frustrated, I sent the package more than two weeks ago and it usually take around 10 days to arrive :Push:

there is a LOT of stuff in customs right now because the dollar is so good over here. I've had stuff coming in from the US that took about a week longer to get here because it was stuck in customs. Same with stuff going out into the US. There's nothing you can do about it but wait. I had better luck the time I used Xpresspost because it's guaranteed 3-5 days.