The PEARL Lovers Thread!

Just got back from the Jewelry district in downtown LA. My sister and I sat in the manager’s office at Continental Pearl ( Etsy) and drooled over all the amazing strands. He had them in boxes and bags all over the floor, shelves, and vault. I had a hard time deciding. Way too many choices. It was a bit overwhelming but in a good way. I wound up choosing a multicolored Tahitian strand. I have to wait until I get home to string it so when I get it completed this week I’ll post a pic. The stuff he has on Etsy doesn’t come close to the really good stuff he has on site. The Ssp were amazing gumballs of beauty. We were in heaven. Time to start saving for a statement strand!
Did he have a round/near round, clean skin, mixed Golden & White SS strand? That's something I'm really wanting.

Congrats! Can’t wait to see your multi strand.

Did he have and round goldens? Or a golden and white SS rope? I would love a rope like that.

All The strands come in 16 inch hanks so you would need to get two to make a rope. He had some really pretty mixed ssp strands. I actually came very close to getting one but I had already spent a good chunk at Louie Vuitton so my budget was limited :sad:. They had a box of goldens just sitting by his office door that we almost tripped on when we looked down. Amazing colors. I told him he should put some of the good stuff on Etsy but he said most people only spend $25 buying loose pearls. I got to see all the strands they offered on Etsy. Big price jump once you are looking at A/B quality. They have a showroom downstairs so if you get to LA call them and visit. The manager is really nice.

All The strands come in 16 inch hanks so you would need to get two to make a rope. He had some really pretty mixed ssp strands. I actually came very close to getting one but I had already spent a good chunk at Louie Vuitton so my budget was limited :sad:. They had a box of goldens just sitting by his office door that we almost tripped on when we looked down. Amazing colors. I told him he should put some of the good stuff on Etsy but he said most people only spend $25 buying loose pearls. I got to see all the strands they offered on Etsy. Big price jump once you are looking at A/B quality. They have a showroom downstairs so if you get to LA call them and visit. The manager is really nice.
I'm glad you went there to see IRL. I haven't been impressed with what they have in their Etsy store.
When they grade their pearls, do they use the standard AAA, AA, A, ect or do they use the Tahitian standard of A, B, C?

Congrats! Can’t wait to see your multi strand.

Did he have and round goldens? Or a golden and white SS rope? I would love a rope like that.
He had everything!
I'm glad you went there to see IRL. I haven't been impressed with what they have in their Etsy store.
When they grade their pearls, do they use the standard AAA, AA, A, ect or do they use the Tahitian standard of A, B, C?
ABCD. The stuff I saw had amazing luster. I could really see the diff between b and c. The pearl grading went from A to B for the strands I was looking at. It all comes down to your budget! I have champagne taste and a Diet Coke budget!

I won a beautiful strand of actual natural pearls on ebay and have been waiting for them to arrive. They had pink iridecense and I was so excited. Got an email from ebays global shipping program that they are restricted and won’t ship. I got a refund, though am crushed, but it went on to say the seller isn’t getting them back either. WTF? What is restricted about pearls? Had the seller done their own shipping rather that ebays global system would this have happened? So so weird. I am just cursed with trying to buy naturals.

I won a beautiful strand of actual natural pearls on ebay and have been waiting for them to arrive. They had pink iridecense and I was so excited. Got an email from ebays global shipping program that they are restricted and won’t ship. I got a refund, though am crushed, but it went on to say the seller isn’t getting them back either. WTF? What is restricted about pearls? Had the seller done their own shipping rather that ebays global system would this have happened? So so weird. I am just cursed with trying to buy naturals.
Whaaaaat????? Where were they coming from....maybe that's got something to do with it. I've never heard of pearls being restricted. Must have something to do with customs & shipping regulation in the country they're coming from. JMHO.

Whaaaaat????? Where were they coming from....maybe that's got something to do with it. I've never heard of pearls being restricted. Must have something to do with customs & shipping regulation in the country they're coming from. JMHO.

They came From Britain. Cees sent me pearls from Thailand or wherever no prob. I don’t know why ebay would allow the auction to be listed with international shipping if there was a problem. Try selling ivory, they stop you FAST, so that they would let it get this far boggles the mind.

Reactions: cdtracing
They came From Britain. Cees sent me pearls from Thailand or wherever no prob. I don’t know why ebay would allow the auction to be listed with international shipping if there was a problem. Try selling ivory, they stop you FAST, so that they would let it get this far boggles the mind.

Bummer about your pearls. [emoji22]