The JADE thread!

Hi Jadies, I've been a very long time lurker, and I feel like I know you all already! I have learned so much about jade by following the various incarnations of this thread. I have a chance to buy a bangle from a private seller who purchased it in China a few years ago. She does not have any info about it, but was told the store was a reputable one (Duo Yun Xuan in Shanghai, I believe). The box says it's from the "Duo Yun Xuan Jade A Collection" but that could mean anything. It would not be an expensive purchase, but I am not really interested unless it is actually Grade A jadeite or nephrite. Here are pictures that the seller sent me-- I will be able to see it in person, and examine it with a loupe at least. Advice?? (It's not pinkish, just white/green, I don't know why it looks that way posted here.)

Hello and welcome! One of the things about jade pictures and the internet, is that they very often pull out colors that aren't as noticeable to the eye in real life. I notice this especially strongly with lavender. I have a very pale lavender bangle that looks mostly white/gray, with just the slightest hint of color, but in photographs combined with some types of lighting, it can look much more purple.

Nothing jumps out particularly, but it's good you'll be able to see it in person. I like that second picture...very soothing colors. Listen to its chime, take it out into daylight to see how it changes color, look at its grains, look for heavy/cool in the hand. Check for a comfortable fit. Check the return policy, make sure you can return it in the event you decide to have it tested by a reputable company and it comes back as treated.

Here's my jade for today... First Princess and my favorite bead bracelets. Top photo is with strong sunlight, bottom left is just regular indoor natural light, bottom right is with the cell phone flash. Green beads are nephrite, colored beads are jadeite, and FP is opaque jadeite.

9zG4iPL.jpg

Hello and welcome! One of the things about jade pictures and the internet, is that they very often pull out colors that aren't as noticeable to the eye in real life. I notice this especially strongly with lavender. I have a very pale lavender bangle that looks mostly white/gray, with just the slightest hint of color, but in photographs combined with some types of lighting, it can look much more purple.

Nothing jumps out particularly, but it's good you'll be able to see it in person. I like that second picture...very soothing colors. Listen to its chime, take it out into daylight to see how it changes color, look at its grains, look for heavy/cool in the hand. Check for a comfortable fit. Check the return policy, make sure you can return it in the event you decide to have it tested by a reputable company and it comes back as treated.
Junkenpo! Thanks for replying. This is kind of a neighbor to neighbor thing-- so we are meeting somewhere public nearby. She can't drive far because of recent medical stuff, but I didn't want to meet at her house (we don't know each other). I doubt I could return it if not real/not grade A. I guess I'll know more when I see it! What should I bring to test the chime? I would love to do a SG, but it would be a bit too attention-getting in public! :smile:

Reactions: AJadecent Angle
Hi Jadies, I've been a very long time lurker, and I feel like I know you all already! I have learned so much about jade by following the various incarnations of this thread. I have a chance to buy a bangle from a private seller who purchased it in China a few years ago. She does not have any info about it, but was told the store was a reputable one (Duo Yun Xuan in Shanghai, I believe). The box says it's from the "Duo Yun Xuan Jade A Collection" but that could mean anything. It would not be an expensive purchase, but I am not really interested unless it is actually Grade A jadeite or nephrite. Here are pictures that the seller sent me-- I will be able to see it in person, and examine it with a loupe at least. Advice?? (It's not pinkish, just white/green, I don't know why it looks that way posted here.)
View attachment 3741788 View attachment 3741789

Welcome LunaDoo! Let us know how the meeting goes and if you get the bangle. It looks pretty:smile:. I like that darker green swirl on it. From the first pic I thought it was a princess but in the second pic I see it's a d shape. As for the colours JKP is right - it's often difficult to get the most accurate colour and even level of translucency from pictures alone so I'm glad you have a chance to see it in real life. Keep us posted!

Here's my jade for today... First Princess and my favorite bead bracelets. Top photo is with strong sunlight, bottom left is just regular indoor natural light, bottom right is with the cell phone flash. Green beads are nephrite, colored beads are jadeite, and FP is opaque jadeite.

9zG4iPL.jpg

I need a chubby princess lol! I always love your your Jade pieces JKP. [emoji8]

Reactions: JadedJae
Hello lovely people, I just wanted to share the hinged nephrite bangle I got the other day, which i wear next to my Fitbit. These hinged spinach green nephrite bangles are pretty common, and it wasn't expensive, but this one has some translucency and nice patterning. I wish I could wear a solid bangle on my left wrist, but arthritis at the base of my thumb, the site of an old injury, means I can't get the correct size for my wrist over my hand.
I also got a vintage twisted silver Thai bangle to buffer my other two bangles. The mottled one is my Unijade jadeite. I still think the pale one may be nephrite. It's taken a lot of knocks and not a mark on it. Not sure serpentine is that tough. Whatever, I love it. Not easy photographing your own wrist! Especially with your non dominant hand.
I'm gradually reading through this massive thread, and am enjoying looking at everyone's beautiful jade. I have a longing for a lavender bangle but, since i tend to wear the same jewellery for months or years, I really need more wrists!
Thank you for looking, and I'm so enjoying all your pics and comments, especially about the energies of jade. I've worked with crystals and gemstones for 27 years, so it's a subject that never ceases to intrigue and fascinate me.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Well, boo. The lady selling the bangle that I was interested in has decided to keep it, as it is the last souvenir of her trip to China. I guess it was not meant for me! She did say that she would let me know if she changes her mind. :sad:

Hello lovely people, I just wanted to share the hinged nephrite bangle I got the other day, which i wear next to my Fitbit. These hinged spinach green nephrite bangles are pretty common, and it wasn't expensive, but this one has some translucency and nice patterning. I wish I could wear a solid bangle on my left wrist, but arthritis at the base of my thumb, the site of an old injury, means I can't get the correct size for my wrist over my hand.
I also got a vintage twisted silver Thai bangle to buffer my other two bangles. The mottled one is my Unijade jadeite. I still think the pale one may be nephrite. It's taken a lot of knocks and not a mark on it. Not sure serpentine is that tough. Whatever, I love it. Not easy photographing your own wrist! Especially with your non dominant hand.
I'm gradually reading through this massive thread, and am enjoying looking at everyone's beautiful jade. I have a longing for a lavender bangle but, since i tend to wear the same jewellery for months or years, I really need more wrists!
Thank you for looking, and I'm so enjoying all your pics and comments, especially about the energies of jade. I've worked with crystals and gemstones for 27 years, so it's a subject that never ceases to intrigue and fascinate me.

View attachment 3742348 View attachment 3742349 View attachment 3742350

Thanks for share your lovelies JV:smile: [emoji3] I like how you stack them. I agree gemstones and especially Jade is so Interesting and uniquely beautiful. I really like your mottled bangle with its cool pattern that I'm sure revels something new whenever you look at it. [emoji4]

Reactions: Jadevirgin
Well, boo. The lady selling the bangle that I was interested in has decided to keep it, as it is the last souvenir of her trip to China. I guess it was not meant for me! She did say that she would let me know if she changes her mind. :sad:

Oh no sorry to hear this LunaDoo. Maybe it was not meant to be but there will be a special bangle out there for you. Believe in the Jade karma. [emoji4]

Thanks for share your lovelies JV:smile: [emoji3] I like how you stack them. I agree gemstones and especially Jade is so Interesting and uniquely beautiful. I really like your mottled bangle with its cool pattern that I'm sure revels something new whenever you look at it. [emoji4]

Thank you Yes, I love every turn of it as it moves round on my wrist, showing white, then green, then earthy brown. I need more money and more arms! Lol

Reactions: 2boys_jademommy
I just posted this on the reutable jade sellers list, but it seems slow, so is it ok to post here as well? Some of you may have had a similar experience. If it's not ok, I will delete:
Hi All, has anyone had any luck getting comeback from Ying Yu Jade? In ignorance, I bought two bangles from them recently, one supposedly "river jade" and one supposed to be nephrite. Neither of them are jade. The nephrite one scratches easily and looks like serpentine, also looks nothing like the photo. The other looks like agate. The one that looks like agate has a very badly repaired line that has been filled with epoxy. I live in the UK, so I think it would be difficult to claim against her. After receiving the bangles, I searched for reviews and found all the fraud complaints against her. I have lost a lot of money, and am now stuck with te bangles as i dont want to cheat somebody else, and they are worth little sold for what they really are.

Last edited:
Reactions: AJadecent Angle
Regarding this message, I have contacted the seller about the first bangle, which Im very drawn to. He assures me it is totally untreated grade A jadeite. If someone knows if he's an ok seller, please could you let me know, as Im very keen to buy the bangle.