The JADE thread!

Now that I have 2 permanent jade bangles, a question for all of you:
IF you had to choose a permanent bangle, which one would it be?

Yes, great question [emoji4] I’ve been wearing a creamy hetian bangle for a few months now on my right wrist. It took a bit to get used to because it’s wide and kinda heavy. I have been on a hetian binge lately and I do plan to change it out eventually and wear some of the other hetian bangle I have purchased recently [emoji5]

Hello! :biggrin: been lurking for a while but I thought I'd pop in to say hi and dust off my account. I've recently started a jade binge (especially on bangles) although I've had other jade pieces since I was a kid (my mom showered them on me because I was a sickly kid and Chinese superstition believes every bit of it helps one's health). I'm really happy to see a very lively jade thread to feed my ongoing addiction!

Welcome PJcherri! We would love to see your jade pieces [emoji4]

I got a message from ebay to print shipping label to return bangle. I have not read the last few messages from the seller so not sure what changed his mind yet???

Gosh..I still have mixed feelings as most of my reservations is the lab seems to be iffy in accuracy but they do hold all the numbers to the certificates & they are registered???

OOOhhhh It was all packed but I took it out last night to do more obserations but I am not sure what all the pittin g is in the surface ...don;t know if that is natural grain depressions or acid etching...but it does not look like typical webbing???

Can't deal with it this afternoon as mail is about due & I need to make trip arrangments & get my valuables in the bank vault. Maybe I'll take a last look under th microscope tonight just to settle my mind about all those pitts as they are very numerous & I hardly see any on my pendant..

I discounted the not ringing part as I think even if it was not treated with the cracks transversing the entire width in at least 4 places it would not ring like it should.

OOOhhhh as it is attractive but likely a break risk even if its not treated so I guess for $200 I should not be gambing with my hard earned money. I'll start with the $15 bangle..

Surprise just check a gift small jade from the seller that said the bangle looks treated & hers does not uv glow but has the pitting all over like my bangle. It seems that the pitting corresponds to the large graining...she says its untreated...see some black inclusions like in the bangle....still the cracks in the bangle but maybe its is untreated except for the blue uv glow...as far as I know some jade glows white but never heard of blue????ooohhh???

Closer look at her gift jade think she sells a few for $10 or $15 & I see what lookes like webbing inside. there are lines that intersect...not sure if its fiber graining but never thougt it would be that sort of veining. Should be more angular & boxy not spidery filamenty...the plot thickens...Truthfull though I would not expect jade trinket to be untreated but if she says they are they should be. Still she did not sell this to me she sent it as a gift so it could be treated...

OOOh boy...well the pitting on my bangle may be natural grain pitting or there is something funky with her pendant which she sells for about $5 or $10/..its a small thing...

oooohhhhh well the big difference is her jade does not glow with uv...

Have the approval to return bangle by MArch 2nd so have the weekend to check again...

Last edited:
The bangle is in the mail back to the seller. Took another quick look & the surface pitting could be acid etching...It did not look right & it was pretty but I can't take the chance that its acid treated & filled esp with the location & patterns of stone lines/cracks?

OOOh welll....that's that...I guess its a lesson.

Felt good in my hand & I hate to let it go but I just did not like the way some of the pits did sort of intersect in a line...could be a spidery webbing but I am not used to seeing it & I suppose not all webbing looks the same.

OOOh bette forget about it & hope the seller does refund the $ & its the end of it as after March 6 I really don;t have access to the internet..

@camelotshadowjade - Weighing in not necessarily for gem/jewelry labs but I work with chemistry labs in North America; their signed final analysis reports are digitally signed by both the tech and the lab supervisor and have been accepted that way with government agencies and legal bodies as being legal. I wouldn't use digital/printed signatures as a write off in terms of certificate authenticity.

Thanks. I was not using it to discount validity but was wondering what the requirements were. I thought some certificates looked like they were in the form of the signature & not just a printing of the name but not sure what a digital signature should look like.

I sent it back as I just can;t be sure the certificate is good & factual. It had a certificate but that lab issues A certificates to somewhat questionable jade from what I have seen & from what others have told me about bangles with that certificate not looking A grade. I do know that it has been said you can't ID jade from just looking at it & esp from a photo but too many have put doubt in my mind about it for me to be comfortable about it...Gosh!!!! It was a very lovely bangle with a certificate but it did have some precarious positioned stone lines or cracks...

Its in the mail now so I have to let it go...Still I do want to learn from it so I can be a better judge in the future.

The seller did not loose much shipping as it was sent first class & he was listing it for $400 so I thought I got a good deal at $200 so maybe he will sell it for more. He did send a most lovely purple satin pouch & a hard shell casejade bangle P1170668 red.jpg !!!
I do feel bad I really do but I can't chance it had been treated with acid & filled.

Last edited:
Question on jade certificates esp chinese labs...Should the signature of the tech & superviser be handwriten in ink or can it be printed? I can't imagine why it would be a copy or printed. It does say the certificate must be printed but does not mention if it should be signed by hand. What good would a printed signature be????

Pretty sure the signatures on my certificate are printed...
Hi Camel, This is what my certificate from a chinese lab looks like. This is for my green jadeite bangle. Sorry you are having such a hard time.
fullsizeoutput_203c.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow you have a small hand. I would not try under 55mm so far I did get a 54.75 cardboard ring on but they flex.

Amazing color on that bangle. It looks so green you'd think its dyed. Seen colors like that for under $50 & een $25 so I know those are dyed...

Not seen that kind. I have just been seeing all the small laminated cards that are in ebay!

Wow...they used a chelsea filter!!!! LOL

Long wave UV did glow white in one spot. Read some natural does glow a pale white but mine glowed blue.

That one is very thorough. Some I've seen just list the weight & thats certainly suspect!
Thing is most of them are mostly in chinese & for all I know they could say

"You are a fool for buying this" LOL:biggrin:

Last edited:
Question on jade certificates esp chinese labs...Should the signature of the tech & superviser be handwriten in ink or can it be printed? I can't imagine why it would be a copy or printed. It does say the certificate must be printed but does not mention if it should be signed by hand. What good would a printed signature be????

Pretty sure the signatures on my certificate are printed...
This is the certificate that I got from the GIA in the USA. I think the GIA also has labs in Hong Kong as well as Europe.

fullsizeoutput_1d3b.jpeg

Wow you have a small hand. I would not try under 55mm so far I did get a 54.75 cardboard ring on but they flex.

Amazing color on that bangle. It looks so green you'd think its dyed. Seen colors like that for under $50 & een $25 so I know those are dyed...

Not seen that kind. I have just been seeing all the small laminated cards that are in ebay!

Long wave UV did glow white in one spot. Read some natural does glow a pale white but mine glowed blue.

That one is very thorough. Some I've seen just list the weight & thats certainly suspect!

LOL you are so funny!

Actually these bangles are kinda big for me. I don't buy it for the size I guess. If I see something I really like I am willing to go big. I had a hard time finding the quality and color I like so when I see something I really like I really try to get it. Most of my bangles are too big for me. But maybe that is better so I can give it to my daughter who is bigger than me.

Yes that is true about glowing a pale white. I wrote to Joann Chan, the person that certified this and she explained it to me. If I find her letter, I will let you know what she said.

Yippee, I just found her letter and she said.....
"Sometimes it may have flouresence in long wave due to different brands of wax even in natural Jadeite. The important thing is the conclusion which states in your certificate Natural Jadeite".
I think this lab does a very thorough job so I am happy with it.

Reactions: AJadecent Angle
54 to 68mm...Thats a wide margin...LOL

54mm is too big??? I am very petite but I was smaller at 90 lbs than I am at 130.
I'm 4 ft 10 inch so I am small!!!F

That is a lovely lavendar but maybe I could get it on my ankle???

Funny you mention the wax. I had an odd blue glow in the creases of a pendant I bought. I knew there had to be a reason & sure enough there was wax in the crease & when I scraped it out it no longer glowed. so wax does glow or at least some sort of polish. UV test is just a cursory test & does not really prove anything. Its the infared spectroscopy thats the best for id'ng treatment.

LOL...I knew you'd like that funny...I got a good laugh out of it myself...

Thanks for showing me the tifs...

GIA has labs all over..even India I think & they are the most trusted.

54 to 68mm...Thats a wide margin...LOL

54mm is too big??? I am very petite but I was smaller at 90 lbs than I am at 130.
I'm 4 ft 10 inch so I am small!!!F

That is a lovely lavendar but maybe I could get it on my ankle???

Funny you mention the wax. I had an odd blue glow in the creases of a pendant I bought. I knew there had to be a reason & sure enough there was wax in the crease & when I scraped it out it no longer glowed. so wax does glow or at least some sort of polish. UV test is just a cursory test & does not really prove anything. Its the infared spectroscopy thats the best for id'ng treatment.

LOL...I knew you'd like that funny...I got a good laugh out of it myself...

Thanks for showing me the tifs...

GIA has labs all over..even India I think & they are the most trusted.
The measurement for my lavender is the outside measurement I think cos it isn't that big on me when I wear it. I think the green one is for the inside diameter measurement. I never even bother with the measurement tho. If I like the color and the look of the jade, I like it. LOL The lady that certified my bangle said it was wax. The only acceptable thing on Grade A jade is wax. I think that if a jade has polish on it, it would not be certified Natural Jadeite Grade A.

Last edited: