Scarves The Hermès Spring Summer 2018 Scarves

SAMOURAÏS CSGM, cw 07, rose indien/vert/corail

View attachment 3939189

These colors are amazing! Very regal. It looks gorgeous on you. Striking.

In the corner on your right shoulder I’m reminded of the Japanese Raising Sun flag from the Imperial Army (I’m sure most of us remember it from WWll but it was a flag used for a long time). IMG_4959.jpg

Last edited:
Aw you know I have no shame, SDSurfChick!!! [emoji8][emoji8][emoji8] and of course every so often I have to crack myself up...and see if anyone else is paying attention. I guess that means maybe you googled the other epic fail [emoji23]

Maybe your ears were ringing this week? SD director went to Wall Street a few months ago. [emoji177][emoji254] Miss you [emoji254][emoji177]

There's tons of them...I'm always looking for fun things to text my DSs just to amuse or annoy them (optimally, both).

Yes, I agree many have to be seen or tried on IRL, and am hopeful.

I know I've been rather silly about this, but I think it's just better to joke about it because honestly, I'm pissed. It's like they don't really know or care about their scarf customer. I mean, let's start with this rmisguided idea to use the same color schemes across the board, two of which are predominantly red/pink, two of which are predominantly yellow, one is monochromatic darker blues, one is purple with yellow. Many of the same color combinations over and over. These color schemes are Zero jewel tones, Zero bold non-monochromatic neutrals. That doesn't mean that there aren't some beautiful pieces that will work for people, but there is very little variety this season . Like everything was designed for a niche with no mass appeal.

So I joke, but...not really.

[emoji8][emoji8][emoji8]

Asking out of curiosity (I apologize if this is off topic), but has H been doing this "same color scheme across the board" thing for awhile now? Or is it a fairly recent practice?

I'm fairly new to scarves (4 years, but didn't become addicted till last year). But the first thing I noticed was how many of the designs reminded me of each other, and I realized it was because of the color schemes. It felt quite limiting, when I liked so many of the designs but felt like I was trying to pick the same scarf over and over again (because I was drawn to certain colors).

Taking an example from this season, the colors in the purple Jaguar look quite similar (if not some of the same) to the purple Jeu des Cartes. Of course they are very different designs, so perhaps those are not the best examples. And I've not yet seen them in person, but generally when tied, a scarf (arguably) becomes more about the overall color.

I'm not in love with all of the color schemes. This one-size-fits-all practice (which is how I'm currently looking at it) doesn't seem to do justice to all of their designs, dang it.

That said, I am genuinely excited about some of the new offerings. But I do sorely wish there was a greater variety in the color palette too.

Asking out of curiosity (I apologize if this is off topic), but has H been doing this "same color scheme across the board" thing for awhile now? Or is it a fairly recent practice?

I'm fairly new to scarves (4 years, but didn't become addicted till last year). But the first thing I noticed was how many of the designs reminded me of each other, and I realized it was because of the color schemes. It felt quite limiting, when I liked so many of the designs but felt like I was trying to pick the same scarf over and over again (because I was drawn to certain colors).

Taking an example from this season, the colors in the purple Jaguar look quite similar (if not some of the same) to the purple Jeu des Cartes. Of course they are very different designs, so perhaps those are not the best examples. And I've not yet seen them in person, but generally when tied, a scarf (arguably) becomes more about the overall color.

I'm not in love with all of the color schemes. This one-size-fits-all practice (which is how I'm currently looking at it) doesn't seem to do justice to all of their designs, dang it.

That said, I am genuinely excited about some of the new offerings. But I do sorely wish there was a greater variety in the color palette too.

From what I’ve seen, Hermes follows the seasons colors which, if you watch the runway shows they all have similar colors for the season that they are showing. The only color Hermes has in every collection is orange.

Reactions: saranga
The EXTREME sameness we're seeing this season is, I think, relatively new. I've been collecting since about 2007 and don't remember this relentless parade of the same combinations across designs in previous years.
Correct me, scarfies! This was a seat-of-the-pants response. (As usual. :P)

Mindi, it does seem more extreme to me, too! I'm thinking I may have felt a bit of this last season, also. I haven't felt the pull to purchase scarves for a bit. While I like a number of the designs, the color schemes offered for the past few seasons just don't work well for me, so I'm sitting on the sidelines, again. Really okay, though, I don't actually need any scarves :angel:, and it's still very fun to pop in here to admire. But hoping for more diversity in future seasons!

The EXTREME sameness we're seeing this season is, I think, relatively new. I've been collecting since about 2007 and don't remember this relentless parade of the same combinations across designs in previous years.

I think you're instincts are correct.

In an article Frou Frou posted the link to, Bali Barret and the Comité de Couleur give Hermes 10 colourists colour schemes for the season.

I don't think we've ever seen so much coordination of cws across designs though.

It's become more obvious over the past few years...

These colors are amazing! Very regal. It looks gorgeous on you. Striking.

In the corner on your right shoulder I’m reminded of the Japanese Raising Sun flag from the Imperial Army (I’m sure most of us remember it from WWll but it was a flag used for a long time). View attachment 3939468
Intriguing obs. I'm glad H did an approximation of the Raising Sun flag (that is, if that is what they were intending) and not the real deal.
Good obs.