The Garden Party bags thread

Thank you for the thoughtful reply! I've admired the Quadrige print on the forum--so fun that you have one of those special pieces in your collection. It is fun to know that the alphabet canvas came around the same time. I have always been a big fan of Art Deco, both in art and in architecture. I definitely see the inspiration. I'm still not sure how I was able to score this bag from the store 3-4 years after it was released, but definitely am not complaining :smile:
I have the same bag and love it! I recall it was a bit more expensive than GPs with plain lining. I agree that that stiffness helps it keep it's shape nicely. I bought it new in early 2021.

Ahh... I'm actually not considering a bag insert because it's small enough to keep all my things nice and tidy - is that a terrible idea?!

Also, to all my GP canvas owners - do you also have the all leather version? Which do you prefer?

Here's another pic with my Rodeo PM :smile:

View attachment 5648829
I have the all-leather 30 and 36, and now I am thinking about getting a canvas version. I love the Garden Party, all of them equally, and I think yours is gorgeous. Enjoy your bag!

is the 30 an easy size to carry around on a day to day basis? I wonder cause it's a top handle only tote? What are your experiences with the GP 30?
If I am shopping, I prefer the 36 in the summer because I can carry it on my shoulder. In the winter, the 30 handheld. So it depends on how you carry your bag and what you carry. I prefer the 36 for work. Lately, I have been craving a 36 canvas. So I think that it may be my next bag.

Reactions: CoconutDonut
Even though this isn't all leather, I purchased another GP 30 in Barcelona after I left Paris. I prefer the all leather but I thought the rouge venetian/ rose Texas color combination was really pretty. The interior is Rose Extreme. I shop often at the Hermes in Barcelona and had asked for all leather GPs and they had none either! Maybe we should start a Canvas Garden Party thread!

View attachment 5227637
Gorgeous color.

Hi all, I’m eyeing the Garden Party for a new work tote as my current one is on its last legs. My main hesitation though is the strap drop—I need a bag that can fit my elbow when I’m putting it on—and I’ve seen some photos of the bag with an 8-in shoulder drop. Is that available for the 36 or just for the 39? Really hard to find information on this online. I’ve just started my H journey and have an SA but don’t want to bug her with questions. Thanks for your insights!

Hi all, I’m eyeing the Garden Party for a new work tote as my current one is on its last legs. My main hesitation though is the strap drop—I need a bag that can fit my elbow when I’m putting it on—and I’ve seen some photos of the bag with an 8-in shoulder drop. Is that available for the 36 or just for the 39? Really hard to find information on this online. I’ve just started my H journey and have an SA but don’t want to bug her with questions. Thanks for your insights!
Both my GP36 and GP30 fit my elbow. I’ve read some ladies on this thread comment they can slip the 36 on their shoulder (unfortunately doesn’t work for me).

Reactions: Buildingprofile
Both my GP36 and GP30 fit my elbow. I’ve read some ladies on this thread comment they can slip the 36 on their shoulder (unfortunately doesn’t work for me).
Sorry to be unclear. What I meant to say is that when I slip the bag on to wear on my shoulder, my elbow fits in while I’m putting it on and I won’t have to stretch out my arm to run the straps through for shoulder use. Kind of hard to explain in text, but I’m considering the Large Soft 16 from Celine specifically because the 11 in strap drop allows me to do that, but I don’t like that the bag has multiple compartments so haven’t pulled the trigger. I’ve seen photos of the Garden Party with the longer strap drop but unsure of the size.

Sorry to be unclear. What I meant to say is that when I slip the bag on to wear on my shoulder, my elbow fits in while I’m putting it on and I won’t have to stretch out my arm to run the straps through for shoulder use. Kind of hard to explain in text, but I’m considering the Large Soft 16 from Celine specifically because the 11 in strap drop allows me to do that, but I don’t like that the bag has multiple compartments so haven’t pulled the trigger. I’ve seen photos of the Garden Party with the longer strap drop but unsure of the size.
I think I understand what you’re asking now but I’ve never seen the longer strap drop GPs. Maybe someone else on this thread has come across it

Dear all, I need your help / opinions.

I recently bought a vintage Garden Party 30 with strap. It was kinda like a blind buy, as I bought it online through a local consignment store and it was delivered to me. Through the pictures posted on its website, the bag looked to be in great shape so I went ahead. I was so excited to be able to locate a GP30 with strap.

I just received the item today and the bag looks yellow-er than I thought. I believe it is the natural yellow-ing of the light colored canvas with time. Afterall, this is a 16 year old bag.

Attached are pictures from the website as well as pics taken by me. Not sure if i am able to capture the true colour of the bag exterior, so i included a close up photo of the inside colour of the bag being significantly different form the outside. The inside looks gray while the outside is more yellowish. I believe the inside grey is the original colour of the bag.

Now, I am considering the following:

1) Send to bag spa to see whether cleaning the bag helps with removing / lightening the yellowing.

2) Recolouring the canvas to a darker colour

3) Sell the bag

Unfortunately, the consignment store do not accept returns.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!

Screenshot_20221227_205151_Chrome.jpg

20221227_205504.jpg

20221227_203844.jpg

Hello everyone! First off I couldn't be happier to be in the club. Several weeks back, I asked my SA on a whim if she had a neutral colored GP in a 30...she said "wait a moment" and returned with a black 36. It ended up being just the thing for me and I've used it nearly every day since.

Now, a mystery: Despite combing the forums high and low (literally have spent hours searching...I find it oddly relaxing), I cannot find this lining on a Garden Party. The lining is what drew me to the bag...the colors reminded me of christmas and then I realized it's the alphabet! I checked the code and it begins with "DMM" which, if I understand correctly, would mean the bag was from 2019. I was able to find a scarf with the same print from around that time frame. How would this little beauty have been hidden away for 3 years, then suddenly be sold?

I've fallen more in love the more I researched my purse. Many of the GPs I seen have been beautifully slouchy. This one has a thick, canvas (burlap?) lining which makes the bag hold its shape very well--great for carrying my ipad and my knitting with me. Additionally, I *think* I unknowingly ended up with country cowhide...something I didn't even realize I wanted! I don't have any negonda to compare to, but the pebbling and sturdiness of this leather seem to match up to CCH pix I've seen.

If you've made it this far, thanks! I would love to know anything and everything about my baby :smile:

View attachment 5650050

View attachment 5650051

View attachment 5650052
I don't have any answer to your question but an extra fun fact about the pattern if you didn't already know: the interior is the Lettres au Carré pattern, designed in the 1930s so Art Deco and was pulled from the Hermes archives for that scarf. Maybe they issued the GP lining a few years later? The W should be missing in order to get the original 5x5 blocking. Yours as the GP lining is really beautiful and unique!

Last edited:
Hi! Does the garden party holds its value well?

I would say honestly no that it does not hold its value. It holds SOME value but you are unlikely to even get back your original purchase price unless it is brand new. If you have a look on Fashionphile you will see some GPs for sale in various conditions and you can gauge what you could expect to sell it for at some point. It seems that, like most other Hermes bags, the smaller size 30 GP retains more value than the larger 36.

Reactions: sophiegray