The Different Mulberry Leathers: A Guide

Hi!

I`m not a Mulberry expert, in fact I only have one, a Bayswater, and I can`t seem to find the type of leather it`s made of, how can I know? It`s a limited edition from 2007-2008, a very thick leather, a bit grained. It doesn`t scratch at all and becomes softer with use. Oh and it`s really heavy (FREAKING heavy!!!) Could anyone help me? Thank you!

Warning - Ellie is going to be brutally honest here............

SSL is basically a split leather (the hide thickness split) - basically its the equivalent of veneer rather than solid wood.

The process of tanning desiccates leather, the thinner the hide the greater the risk of drying out which invariably leads to splitting, cracking, peeling. No amount of polish/moisure from above will resolve this because it is the hide surface moving off the thinner membrane.

Im sorry to be blunt but to say I am not a fan of this leather is an understatement.

Thanks Ellie! You just made my Black Bays decision a lot easier. I have been trying to decide between printed and NVT for some time, and then I spotted the soft spongy and weirdly loved it. But I was curious why it was more than NVT. I certainly don't want to pay more money for leather of lesser quality! No wonder the SA (good girl) tried to steer me away from it.

Thanks Ellie! You just made my Black Bays decision a lot easier. I have been trying to decide between printed and NVT for some time, and then I spotted the soft spongy and weirdly loved it. But I was curious why it was more than NVT. I certainly don't want to pay more money for leather of lesser quality! No wonder the SA (good girl) tried to steer me away from it.

Disappointed to learn this is not as good a leather - I hope it lasts longer than you imply as my Mabel is going to be a workhorse bag. At the moment it looks lovely with a really nice shine - does that mean the shine will disappear or just to expect cracking?

Are there any tips for looking after it? Not sure whether I should be putting colonil gel onit or not?

numnut, I didn't keep my black Mabel hobo long enough to see if the leather would peel, but it did scratch extremely easily. I had only had it for a couple hours when I noticed a long, thin scratch on the back and I still have no idea how it happened. I hadn't even taken it out of the house!

HisWifeTheirMom, I don't know anything about the new mini leopard patent leather, but the old putty smudged leopard patent and the regular patent are both fabulous. Both are subject to creasing as you use the bag, but this is totally normal. You don't have to treat the patent leathers, though Mulberry do recommend using the new Collonil Lack Polish to revive it. I think you'd be fine with just rubbing the fingerprints off with the dust cover!

All the patent bags are fine in rain as the water just runs off. If you like leather with a bit of sheen but without the patent finish, then go for something in goatskin. My black goatskin Bayswater is brilliant in the rain and looks amazing.

Hello Etincelle

Can you post a pic of your leather then I am sure it could be identified. It is always nice to know what you are carrying, especially if it is a limited design.

Hi everyone! I'm new to Mulberry and I'd like to ask info about certain leathers of the bags I'm interested in. Can anyone give info on Plonge Lambskin leather, Soft Buffalo, Natural leather and Leopard Haircalf? Do they all age well? I want to get a bag that will last me many, many years :smile: TIA!

Great thread. I have read here that NVT is a new name for Darwin and I was wondering how widespread this opinion is? I have an old Darwin Roxy and recently purchased an NVT Roxy (all authenticated) and the NVT leather was nothing like the Darwin. I found it floppier amongst other things with a more obvious grain and a suedier inside. Any opinions?

Hi Shulalaba
I can't say how the spazzalato leather ages, but I spoke to an assistant at Shepton Mallett and she said that it does wrinkle. She also said that it does not need any treatment and is waterproof, which sounds pretty good.