Speaking of House Cleaning.....

As long as you are happy with the situation, then that's fine.

As to my personal opinion: I could never be a stay-at-home-mother paying someone else to clean my house in a manner neither me nor my husband were happy with while I surfed the internet.

I WISH my parents would get a housekeeper because they both work a lot and my mom has a bad back. I have a cleaning lady that comes to clean my apartment at school once a week and I LOVE it. Well it's included in my tuition so I'm sure I'm paying an arm and a leg for her, but she's great. If it was my house, I would feel awkward sitting on the couch and relaxing while she cleaned. I think you should just go on your computer the whole time. That way you're doing something. I would be afraid that she may think I'm rubbing it in her face that she's cleaning my house while I'm being a lazy bum, but I'm weird and I think about stuff like that.

yea, when I lived in the dorms last year there was a lady who used to go door to door just picking up the trash bins to empty them out and I always felt awkward whenever she'd come in. I'm just extremely awkward in these kinda situations though so that could just be it.

yea, when I lived in the dorms last year there was a lady who used to go door to door just picking up the trash bins to empty them out and I always felt awkward whenever she'd come in. I'm just extremely awkward in these kinda situations though so that could just be it.

Yeah, I had a housecleaner in my dorms as well. But, she was such a neat person that we'd just talk about stuff while she cleaned, I'd usually be eating or doing my homework or something. Being friends with her definitely helped diffuse the awkwardness, as did knowing that she really liked her job. She's even my friend on facebook!

I'm grateful that I was born with the 'need to clean' gene, actually it's more to be precise, clean, organize and be totally ocd lol so I know I'll never have to hire a maid

Plus I'm super paranoid of maids stealing and not doing good work.

You're doing absolutely nothing wrong, IMO. Over the years I've had cleaning help when I worked outside the home or was recovering from surgery. I hate cleaning (except for laundry--I don't mind that at all for some reason), but did it because I was SAHM, but busy as you described. Now because of my back, we have a lady come every 2 weeks and I feel absolutely no guilt at all. I have contributed to the household in countless ways that were not paid, so if this helps me now and we have room in the budget, that's the way it is.

Put it into perspective--I know a woman who does NOTHING around the house--doesn't even own a washer/dryer. Her dh does all the cooking, she has cleaning help, and they send 100% of their laundry out (actually it's picked up and delivered). Her kids have been gone for years and she has never worked outside the home since marriage. No wonder she's so serene all the time!

I hate ironing too, alone with cleaning. I hate ironing so much that I have things I haven't worn in over a year because I keep putting off ironing them.

Hahahahahahaa!! That made me laugh so much!!! I am just the same. I do it very occasionally,but I try so hard to get it perfect,I annoy myself.So next time it gets washed,it er,never gets worn again!
We have just moved,and round the corner from us,much to hubbys delight is a place where a lady will do his ironing,and she loves it,she is so paticular and his shirts look brilliant.I love her too!!!
But as for having a cleaner,don't sweat about it,if it makes your life easier then she is worth the money you pay her,so you are giving a deserving person a job.And as you say,she needs the money,so you are being good to her.She has a job with a freindly compassionate person,its warm and indoors,so she does'nt have the horrible weather to face in the winter.And I'm sure if she had a tiny inkling you felt guilty,it would really upset her.Enjoy her there,she wants to do it for you,otherwise she would have left you long ago,she more than likely enjoys having you as her employer.Think of it that way.You're a nice boss,and God knows they are hard to find!!!

Nothing wrong with help around the house. It seems you treat her well and that all that counts! I hate dusting so need help in that aspect...

We have a cleaning lady who comes on Saturday and Sunday and cleans the house and does all the ironing. It was actually my DH who arranged it. I felt that we didn't need her as I am a SAHM, (though I do also work from home- doing the books for DHs's business). For the first few weeks that she worked for us I felt slightly uncomfortable about it- the female equivalent of a man feeling emasculated (is there a word for that?); but I got used to it quickly ;).

It is just another of life's luxuries really, and it buys me time. During the week, before our cleaning lady started, I would have been feeling guilty about trying to balance doing chores with spending time with my children. Now I don't worry so much, as long as I keep the house tidy, as I know the house gets a really good clean at the weekend. I could send DH out with the children on a Saturday and spend hours cleaning the house myself, and then do the same on Sunday so I could do all the ironing. But I would much rather pay someone else to do it so that I can spend time with my family.

we have maids come in once a week. They don't do the laundry so alot of times I find myself doing the laundry while they are cleaning. They get paid well. My job is pretty physically demanding so I don't feel bad at all taking it easy while they clean. Thats why I hired them so I could get some rest!