Small classic flap vs mini rectangular?

Which bag would you buy?

• Small Classic Flap in Caramel/Lambskin/LGHW

Votes: 96 37.6%
  • Mini Rectangular Flap in Black/Caviar/GHW

Votes: 159 62.4%

• Total voters
Thank you so much for sharing!! I was wondering if it makes sense to keep both small classic (black caviar gold hardware) and mini rectangular (black lambskin). Do they look too alike each other to justify the spend? Or maybe I should do mini square or consider pearl crush collection? I appreciate any input you may have!
I've only got the black mini rectangular but one reason to keep both is the caviar-lambskin difference. I'd feel comfortable using a caviar bag on an everyday basis but lambskin is more delicate so I treat my mini as an evening bag, it comes out of my closet a lot less often.

Reactions: Vivihh
I've only got the black mini rectangular but one reason to keep both is the caviar-lambskin difference. I'd feel comfortable using a caviar bag on an everyday basis but lambskin is more delicate so I treat my mini as an evening bag, it comes out of my closet a lot less often.
I see that all make sense! What color of classic small did you get (sounds like it's not black)? And have you considered mini square (which I found maybe not being discussed very often here)? Thanks :smile:

I see that all make sense! What color of classic small did you get (sounds like it's not black)? And have you considered mini square (which I found maybe not being discussed very often here)? Thanks :smile:
I don't own a small flap I'm afraid, just the mini rectangular in black. I tried on the mini square and I preferred how the rectangular looked on me, but I know some people who adore the square so it's just down to personal preference I guess! The good thing about the square is that the strap is a bit shorter than that of the rectangular, which is unusually long. My boutique offered to provide a clip to shorten the chain but I'm not sure if all boutiques will provide this.

Reactions: Vivihh
If it’s your first Chanel bag, I would suggest going with caramel small classic flap. It fits slightly more than the rectangular mini and is a beautiful color imo. If you have a petite frame you can get away with wearing the small classic as a high crossbody. If you know you strongly prefer wearing crossbody I would suggest the black mini…but keep in mind black mini will be easier to find at a future date.

Try on both and buy what you love!!

Tried on the small in lambskin w SHW today. I like the look but prefer GHW. The mini rectangular was not in stock so I couldn't do a true comparison. SA just called and said the small flag w GHW could arrive as early as Monday. I am so torn b/t the small and the mini rectangular. Not having seen the rectangular, I don't know if I should take the plunge.

TIA for your thoughts and advice.

Tried on the small in lambskin w SHW today. I like the look but prefer GHW. The mini rectangular was not in stock so I couldn't do a true comparison. SA just called and said the small flag w GHW could arrive as early as Monday. I am so torn b/t the small and the mini rectangular. Not having seen the rectangular, I don't know if I should take the plunge.

TIA for your thoughts and advice.
I have both & I love both, but I use the mini a lot more. They fit about the same stuff. I love crossbody bags so the mini is more useful for me personally. If the chain on the small flap was a tad bit longer and I could wear it crossbody, I wouldn't see the need for the mini. So, think mostly about how you like to wear your purse and if you'll be ok with lambskin. I adore the mini, I haven't had any issues with the lambskin so far and I've used it a ton. Plus it's almost half the price!

Reactions: mliLV
I have both & I love both, but I use the mini a lot more. They fit about the same stuff. I love crossbody bags so the mini is more useful for me personally. If the chain on the small flap was a tad bit longer and I could wear it crossbody, I wouldn't see the need for the mini. So, think mostly about how you like to wear your purse and if you'll be ok with lambskin. I adore the mini, I haven't had any issues with the lambskin so far and I've used it a ton. Plus it's almost half the price!
Thank you so much for the feedback. I do prefer crossbody and top handle (or crook of the arm) if there is no strap. The chain on the small does land the bag a bit too high on my hip and I am not much of a shoulder bag person I was able to see the caviar and the lambskin side-by-side today and much prefer the lambskin. I guess I will have to live with the wear, but I feel I won't mind it at all.

I will ask to see if they can get a mini in around the same time for me to do a comparison. Fingers crossed the SA will understand.

I was in the same boat as you few years back. But went for the small flap, and glad i did. I wear my bags mostly single shoulder. Small flap sits well long chain or double chain. I love how you can wrap the chain around wrist and just hold the bag by hand when not carrying on shoulder.

I recently got the classic mini too. For the small amount of time i have worn mini, i feel i am more comfortable with small classic flap since it feels more close to the body.

Mini classic is adorable. I just love that too. No matter what you get now, you will end up getting the other later.

Reactions: YEANETT
I was in the same boat as you few years back. But went for the small flap, and glad i did. I wear my bags mostly single shoulder. Small flap sits well long chain or double chain. I love how you can wrap the chain around wrist and just hold the bag by hand when not carrying on shoulder.

I recently got the classic mini too. For the small amount of time i have worn mini, i feel i am more comfortable with small classic flap since it feels more close to the body.

Mini classic is adorable. I just love that too. No matter what you get now, you will end up getting the other later.
The thought that I would end up getting the other one later did cross my mind. Too funny. I guess both occupy a special place in a given collection.

Thank ya'll so much for the advice. I will see how things go next week and report back.

Reactions: Leena.212
Mission Accomplished!!

After 2 trips to the boutique and much consideration, I brought home this beautiful creation, small, black, double flap in lamb w silver hardware. It turned out there were others ahead of me in the queue for the small in GHW. With the minis not anywhere in sight, I was kinda back to square one. I brought my daughter with me yesterday to the boutique to just see the difference b/t SHW and GHW on the medium flaps which are in stock. We both ended up loving the SHW, who knew! My daughter, who is taller, was leaning towards the medium for bigger carrying capacity. At that point, we have settled on SHW and lamb skin for sure. Just before I was ready to go through with the purchase, I asked the SA to bring out a small lambskin one more time for a final side by side look. That was when my daughter and I both absolutely fell in love with the luster and shine of the small. The medium lamb was already shinier and softer to the touch than the caviar. But this small lamb was just stunning under the boutique lighting. We couldn't take our eyes off that luscious shine and how dark the black lambskin was. The leather on the small was also much softer and felt "thicker" (this part could just be totally off the mark as we were so in love with it). In an instance we knew she would be coming home with us. :biggrin:

It was quite an amazing experience, shopping with my son on the first trip and my daughter on the second. We had a blast and the SA was super patient with our constant shifting of "priorities". She entertained them all. Although this is part of her role to help clients explore and find their love, I appreciate her effort nevertheless.

Thanks to all of the wonderful advice and for letting me share my first Chanel experience.

I am adding the side by side of the small vs. medium leather. I would love to hear from the more experienced Chanel owners on whether this is just due to different bags (small vs medium) being made in different batches or even different locations.

Chanel Comp 2.JPGChanel Comp 1.JPGChanel Small Double Flap Lamb.jpg

Mission Accomplished!!

After 2 trips to the boutique and much consideration, I brought home this beautiful creation, small, black, double flap in lamb w silver hardware. It turned out there were others ahead of me in the queue for the small in GHW. With the minis not anywhere in sight, I was kinda back to square one. I brought my daughter with me yesterday to the boutique to just see the difference b/t SHW and GHW on the medium flaps which are in stock. We both ended up loving the SHW, who knew! My daughter, who is taller, was leaning towards the medium for bigger carrying capacity. At that point, we have settled on SHW and lamb skin for sure. Just before I was ready to go through with the purchase, I asked the SA to bring out a small lambskin one more time for a final side by side look. That was when my daughter and I both absolutely fell in love with the luster and shine of the small. The medium lamb was already shinier and softer to the touch than the caviar. But this small lamb was just stunning under the boutique lighting. We couldn't take our eyes off that luscious shine and how dark the black lambskin was. The leather on the small was also much softer and felt "thicker" (this part could just be totally off the mark as we were so in love with it). In an instance we knew she would be coming home with us. :biggrin:

It was quite an amazing experience, shopping with my son on the first trip and my daughter on the second. We had a blast and the SA was super patient with our constant shifting of "priorities". She entertained them all. Although this is part of her role to help clients explore and find their love, I appreciate her effort nevertheless.

Thanks to all of the wonderful advice and for letting me share my first Chanel experience.

I am adding the side by side of the small vs. medium leather. I would love to hear from the more experienced Chanel owners on whether this is just due to different bags (small vs medium) being made in different batches or even different locations.

View attachment 5931413View attachment 5931414View attachment 5931418
I love the leather on small one you posted! Leather can vary from bag to bag, if it was me I would pick the small size. It’s more luxurious looking. Yummy yummy lambskin, it will age well and congratulations!

• Love
Reactions: skyvue
Mission Accomplished!!

View attachment 5931413View attachment 5931414View attachment 5931418
You did great picking the small. That lambskin is a beauty! Enjoy :smile:

Reactions: skyvue