• Small Classic Flap in Caramel/Lambskin/LGHW

Votes: 96 37.5%
  • Mini Rectangular Flap in Black/Caviar/GHW

Votes: 160 62.5%

• Total voters

chillychews

Dec 27, 2015
Hi Everyone!
I’m about to purchase my first Chanel bag and I’m torn between the 22S small classic flap in caramel (Lambskin and champagne or light gold) and the mini rectangular in black (caviar and gold).
Both bags are absolutely beautiful to me and I’m not sure which one to go for. I already have the Celine Triomphe in black leather and gold hardware which is why I was thinking about the caramel small classic but the price and color are throwing me off a little. The mini rectangular is definitely a lot more “affordable” and the black is timeless. I believe both bags are not easy to get and maybe I’ll get both in the future but for now I’m only interested in getting one. Would appreciate any input!

Which bag would you get?

Edit: As of the date of this post, the small classic flap is $8200 and the mini rectangular is $4400. I would be buying directly from the boutique.

Last edited:
While the small CF is a classic; the only reason why I chose mini rectangular is because it's caviar.
I know I would ruin Chanel lambskin in a heartbeat :P and it would not work out for my lifestyle.

I am also a bit biased though, because I already have a small CF.

Edit: Seeing other comments saying that the minis are currently all in lambskin. I would buy neither and just wait.

I was debating this too, but I would personally prefer the small classic flap and I really like the Carmel color too. Personally If I purchased a mini I would always continue to wish for the classic. I know it's double the price but I like the look of the classic better and it would fit my style better with age. Also, I watched a ton of YouTube videos on mini vs WOC, and decided to go with the WOC because it fits almost the same and costs a lot less. I was able to get it in black caviar and plan to use it for dressy occasions. With a base shaper it fits my needs perfectly. On the other hand, the mini is impossible to find so if you found one in caviar which is new that also is hard to pass up!!

Have you compared both together in person or watched comparison videos on YouTube? While I don't a small CF, I do have a mini rectangular and M/L and I feel like the M/L holds just a little more than the mini. Based on capacity and price, i would choose the mini over the small, but beware the Mini is only available in lambskin. Otherwise, if you are a minimalist, maybe consider a WOC over the small... good luck!

I think there's basic difference between the M/L Classic and the Mini Rectangular that's being overlooked.
The M/L is a shoulder bag, with a strap too short for most women to wear crossbody. The Mini can be worn long as a shoulder bag or, most likely, crossbody. As for capacity, the Mini holds nearly as much as the M/L. Compared with a WOC, the Mini holds a great deal more -- including room for a car key, if that's important to you.

If it comes down to Caviar vs. Lambskin, I've had both and have a distinct preference for luxurious Lambskin. In fact, recently I sold my 2017 Black Caviar Mini and replaced it with a pristine pre-loved 2021 SO Black Lambskin Mini. In Caviar, in my opinion, it's only a casual bag. In Lambskin, it goes day to night with ease and elegance. It's equally wearable with jeans and at a cocktail party. Best of all, with a Mini you're hands free.

I should add that I had a Black Lambskin Classic in the hard to find small size that I bought new eons ago and used for many years. At first, it was my every day work bag. Later, it became my going out for dinner bag. All the concern some women express about Lambskin being too delicate has not been true in my experience. My Lambskin Classic looked nearly new when I sold it a few years ago and fetched top dollar.

Finally, I'm such a fan of the Rectangular Mini that I've just added a second one -- a new Metallic Pewter with silver hardware -- to cover all the seasons.

Good luck with your decision!

Millstream

The minis currently only come in lambskin. You can go preloved for a black caviar mini but you will be paying a premium.
Oh thanks for letting me know! For some reason, I thought there were still caviar minis being made.

Chanel hasn't released a caviar mini for a few years now. The preloved ones cost 6-7K. If you want a lambskin mini then I would vote that over the small flap.
Thanks for the correction. Yeah I would be getting the bag in lambskin either way. Any reason why you’d choose mini over small flap?

I would also go for the lambskin mini. It costs a lot less, has the classic look, and I hear the small classic doesn't hold that much more...
Yeah I’ve watched a couple of videos comparing the mini and small classic and apparently, the two bags hold about the same amount! The only differences are the double flap and the strap. And of course, the mini is significantly cheaper. Hmm I think I’m torn because I’ll probably want to buy a classic in the future anyway? It’s hard to say

Thanks for the correction. Yeah I would be getting the bag in lambskin either way. Any reason why you’d choose mini over small flap?
It's easier for day to day use for me since the mini has a strap long enough for crossbody and it's also easier to get in and out of because it's a single flap. That and of course the cost difference. However, if you know for sure you will want a classic flap and in that color, then I would go for the flap now since the price for it will just keeps going up.

While the small CF is a classic; the only reason why I chose mini rectangular is because it's caviar.
I know I would ruin Chanel lambskin in a heartbeat :P and it would not work out for my lifestyle.

I am also a bit biased though, because I already have a small CF.

Edit: Seeing other comments saying that the minis are currently all in lambskin. I would buy neither and just wait.
Same here! I’m not the most careful person and I think I’d always be worried about scratching a lamb skin bag. I may just wait after all..

Have you compared both together in person or watched comparison videos on YouTube? While I don't a small CF, I do have a mini rectangular and M/L and I feel like the M/L holds just a little more than the mini. Based on capacity and price, i would choose the mini over the small, but beware the Mini is only available in lambskin. Otherwise, if you are a minimalist, maybe consider a WOC over the small... good luck!
I have seen the two bags compared by Youtubers who showed that the two bags hold roughly the same amount. The extra flap actually hinders them from stuffing more in the small classic.
I’ve tried on both the small and medium classic and I felt that the medium looked big on me. I’m only around 5’2”. The mini seems like the perfect option since it’s crossbody! I might think about the WOC too… ahh too many options. Thank you though!

I think there's basic difference between the M/L Classic and the Mini Rectangular that's being overlooked.
The M/L is a shoulder bag, with a strap too short for most women to wear crossbody. The Mini can be worn long as a shoulder bag or, most likely, crossbody. As for capacity, the Mini holds nearly as much as the M/L. Compared with a WOC, the Mini holds a great deal more -- including room for a car key, if that's important to you.

If it comes down to Caviar vs. Lambskin, I've had both and have a distinct preference for luxurious Lambskin. In fact, recently I sold my 2017 Black Caviar Mini and replaced it with a pristine pre-loved 2021 SO Black Lambskin Mini. In Caviar, in my opinion, it's only a casual bag. In Lambskin, it goes day to night with ease and elegance. It's equally wearable with jeans and at a cocktail party. Best of all, with a Mini you're hands free.

I should add that I had a Black Lambskin Classic in the hard to find small size that I bought new eons ago and used for many years. At first, it was my every day work bag. Later, it became my going out for dinner bag. All the concern some women express about Lambskin being too delicate has not been true in my experience. My Lambskin Classic looked nearly new when I sold it a few years ago and fetched top dollar.

Finally, I'm such a fan of the Rectangular Mini that I've just added a second one -- a new Metallic Pewter with silver hardware -- to cover all the seasons.

Good luck with your decision!

Millstream
Wow thank you so much for the detailed response! I can tell how much you love the mini and lambskin leather. I totally agree with your take on caviar vs lambskin. Before seeing the bags in person, I would have chosen caviar to be safe but once I saw the lambskin, I loved it.
If I can grab my hands on a caramel or black mini, I’ll be so happy haha

I started with the mini for my first Chanel but ended up buying small classic flap. I liked the look of classic flap better having 4 grommets and versatility of wearing it double strap or long single strap depending on the look i want to go for.

i baby my bags but still went for the Caviar leather since i wear my classic flap a lot, even on groceries and other small errands.