Sephora Return Policy?

i have never had a problem with returning/exchanging at sephora....until today. I bought ds iconic mascara online last week and they sent me plain ds - but charged me for ds iconic! So i went to my local sephora explaining the situation and showed them the return slip, recept, mascara. The sa helping me was understanding and started to fix the order. She had to call someone over to override something on the register. (manager maybe?) well, the lady she called over flashed me a dirty look and asked me if i was sure i received the wrong mascara. She told me theres a $3 difference if i wanted to get ds iconic, then she shook her head never-mind, then told me to give her a minute because she needs to call and find out what to do because they've never ever had that problem before. I was angry!! I spend a lot of money there - why would i lie about something like this??? $3!

I know what you mean! I ordered with sephora and when I placed the order over the phone their system declined my card TWICE.THE LADY HAD TO PUSH MY ORDER THROUGH. When I got my package I was missing the perfume I ordered! I called to complain and they told me they cannot refund my gift card. They told me all they can do is send me a white store credit gift card that can only be used in stores.(even though I paid with a black card! The nearest sephora is over an hour from me! I advise that you spend your money elsewhere!
Also, I tried to return something to the Annapolis,md store and this skinny black woman with crazy looking eyeshadowgave me a dirty look said she will not take my return without a receipt. I explained that I live almost 2 hours away and she still would'nt take it, what a *****! And their was nothing wrong with what i was returning, it was basically brand new.Sephora is a very snotty company! Watch out, you've been warned! Sephora is owned by french people.

Last edited:
Just wondering, I am a beauty insider and I notice when you log into your account online you can see the history of EVERYTHING you have ever purchased at Sephora. I was wondering if I have some things that are pretty old that are lightly used that I just forgot about and didn't like but never returned if I can take them back for store credit. Or will they be able to see when I bought them and tell me it's too late. I have taken things back without a receipt for store credit before but it was a long time ago.

bumping this thread, just wondering if sephora's no receipt policy still works? i bought a philosophy face cleanser last month and i've been breaking out/itching from it. i think it's the cleanser =( it's a shame because i love the cleanser. i'm assuming i'll get store credit? thanks!

I know what you mean! I ordered with sephora and when I placed the order over the phone their system declined my card TWICE.THE LADY HAD TO PUSH MY ORDER THROUGH. When I got my package I was missing the perfume I ordered! I called to complain and they told me they cannot refund my gift card. They told me all they can do is send me a white store credit gift card that can only be used in stores.(even though I paid with a black card! The nearest sephora is over an hour from me! I advise that you spend your money elsewhere!
Also, I tried to return something to the Annapolis,md store and this skinny black woman with crazy looking eyeshadowgave me a dirty look said she will not take my return without a receipt. I explained that I live almost 2 hours away and she still would'nt take it, what a *****! And their was nothing wrong with what i was returning, it was basically brand new.Sephora is a very snotty company! Watch out, you've been warned! Sephora is owned by french people.

Seriously! I am French and Thats just rude! Who cares what type of person owns it, its the individual SAs that can make it or break it. And I am sure that if the 'owers' knew how some of them acted they would not be happy.

bumping this thread, just wondering if sephora's no receipt policy still works? i bought a philosophy face cleanser last month and i've been breaking out/itching from it. i think it's the cleanser =( it's a shame because i love the cleanser. i'm assuming i'll get store credit? thanks!

Just tell them it makes you break out and you can exchange it!

I think they ask for your ID now when you exchange without a reciept and give you store credit.

I grew up in Japan where people rarely ever try to return things (unless it's defective to begin with) so I was really shocked when I moved to Canada and so many stores had such lax policies of even allowing returns on used products that had no defect to it at other than the reason that the buyer didn't "like it."

Even now, to be honest, I don't really get people who "overbuy" things and then go home and try it out then return the ones that they didn't end up liking that much. To me, that's just abusing the system.

Whenever I buy makeup like foundation where I'm not sure if I'm going to react badly to it, then I ask for samples to avoid having to return if it doesn't work out. I haven't noticed any MUA ever giving me the "evil eye" for asking for samples, because whenever I go, I usually buy a couple of things to go along with the samples. I could count on two hands how many times I've returned something in the 22 years I've been on this Earth, and those were all because they had something defective (missing items, broken zippers, etc.) ^^;

It's your first post and you insult women of color and the french. Want to take a jab at us Canadians too?

does anyone know if sephora is able to check credit card for transactions? I lost my receipt and I need to return something, but I made the purchase with my credit card so I'm hoping someone will know if they can search credit card to find the transaction? Or should I just try to print the transaction detail from my statement online?

bump..

I just returned something I received as a gift and was asked for ID too.. Any reason why?

They want to make sure one person isn't returning unusually large amounts of merchandise without a receipt. Could be stolen merchandise or some other sort of scam.

As to returning lots of things just because they let you, I think people should be reasonable about it. If you've had the product more than 6 mos., it seems kind of "shady" because makeup does go bad in time. I know when I go to the store that I don't want to buy stuff that has been on the shelf for years.

Hi all,

Just curious...

I recieved a bunch of beauty supplies from Sephora- and two items I have issues with: a) Ole Henrikson Sheer Transformation creme (makes me break out like crazy!) and b) Lancome teinte idole- not my colour

I dont have the receipt, but I have the original packaging and the products have only been used once or twice. Will Sephora do an exchange for the OLE and a different colour match for the lancome teinte idole foundation?

xo