Saint Laurent Le 5 à 7

Hello everyone. I am considering purchasing this item in croc. I am really worried about the top as there is no zipper. What’s your experience about things falling out ? Would anyone share?

Hello everyone. I am considering purchasing this item in croc. I am really worried about the top as there is no zipper. What’s your experience about things falling out ? Would anyone share?
Hi there!

Unless you are putting small, loose items down in the bag, such as a single key/fob, lipstick, cash/coins, etc., you should be fine. I have yet to have anything fall out of my bag. Since the bag is very slim, everything packs in nice and snug, and the strap closure locks it in.

I put all of my small items in my Toiletry 15, and it fits perfectly in the bag with my small wallet or card case, phone, and full set of keys. As a test, I turned the bag upside down and shook it, and while my keys poked out at one point, they never fully fell out. Hope that helps!

Reactions: foxylock
Love this thread and this bag! I am thinking of purchasing this bag but really unsure about the smooth leather. Can anyone ease my mind on it?
You can read about my unfortunate experience earlier in this thread, but it seems others have had better luck than me. To be fair, aside from the crease, there's no other marks on my bag at this point - the smooth leather is more delicate by nature though, so I know that some marks/scratches are inevitable. The display bags at my local Saint Laurent had several marks from people handling them, mostly around the area where the logo closure hooks in. If you have a store nearby, I suggest taking a look to get an idea of how it may wear over time.

Love this thread and this bag! I am thinking of purchasing this bag but really unsure about the smooth leather. Can anyone ease my mind on it?
I asked this question on a YSL FB page regarding the beautiful tan and someone replied with the picture below taken in store. The bag is gorgeous but appears very prone to scratches. Maybe the other leather versions are less prone to scratches, but I would not feel comfortable with the tan.

A57B148D-1392-493C-B052-AB001CD75366.jpeg

I asked this question on a YSL FB page regarding the beautiful tan and someone replied with the picture below taken in store. The bag is gorgeous but appears very prone to scratches. Maybe the other leather versions are less prone to scratches, but I would not feel comfortable with the tan.

View attachment 5288876

Yep, that's exactly how the tan one I saw in store looked. The Kaia bag in the same color/leather was even worse.

• Sad
Reactions: Kkeely30
Yep, that's exactly how the tan one I saw in store looked. The Kaia bag in the same color/leather was even worse.
I don’t try to baby my bags, they do get their amount of worn love, but that’s too many scratches for me! I can image it would deter a lot of people from purchasing to see in a store like that. The scratches IMO take away from the beauty of the bag.

Reactions: mgrnt
I mentioned in my original post in this thread that I was interested in the Celine Ava bag as a more casual counterpart to my 5 a 7. I got the Ava today, so I thought I would post a side-by-side comparison of the two, if anyone else was considering these bags. They are roughly the same size, but the Celine is bigger depth-wise. (sorry for the bad lighting)

Attachments

• 20220202_182020.jpg
    20220202_182020.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 154
I mentioned in my original post in this thread that I was interested in the Celine Ava bag as a more casual counterpart to my 5 a 7. I got the Ava today, so I thought I would post a side-by-side comparison of the two, if anyone else was considering these bags. They are roughly the same size, but the Celine is bigger depth-wise. (sorry for the bad lighting)

Can you fit more in the Celine? Which one do you prefer? I’m looking to get a hobo style/shoulder bag

Can you fit more in the Celine? Which one do you prefer? I’m looking to get a hobo style/shoulder bag

The Celine can fit a little more than the YSL, mostly because it is made out of canvas which has more "give" if that makes sense. The YSL is structured and doesn't stretch open as much as the Celine does.

I bought both because I wanted a dressier one and a more casual one. While I love them both, I prefer the Celine because the canvas is much more care-free than the smooth YSL leather. Also keep in mind that the Celine has a zipper closure and the YSL does not. I've never had an issue with anything falling out of the YSL, and it's always felt plenty secure, but for some people the lack of a zipper can be a dealbreaker.

Since my wardrobe is mostly casual clothes, I wear the Celine more. But to be fair, the YSL looks nice with casual outfits as well - I just tend to wear it with slightly dressier outfits.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: poleneceline
Hi @mgrant & @ChanelCelineLaurentLover , do you mind to chime in how do find your bags are now? How does it age, and hows the functionality of the bag so far

i have been contemplating about the bag, it looks amazing on everybody. I dont mind the smooth leather. As long as it is buff-able and doesn't make permenant scratches. But i do wish to know hows the surface holds up

Another thing is Im curious if the ysl logo stands in the way taking things in and out of the bag, and potentially scratching the leather

Looking for a nice 90’s shoulder bag style. Other that this ysl bag, also contemplating celine ava & prada re-edition hobo, both with zipper, but are not leathers

Looking forward to your reply ✨

Hi @mgrant & @ChanelCelineLaurentLover , do you mind to chime in how do find your bags are now? How does it age, and hows the functionality of the bag so far

i have been contemplating about the bag, it looks amazing on everybody. I dont mind the smooth leather. As long as it is buff-able and doesn't make permenant scratches. But i do wish to know hows the surface holds up

Another thing is Im curious if the ysl logo stands in the way taking things in and out of the bag, and potentially scratching the leather

Looking for a nice 90’s shoulder bag style. Other that this ysl bag, also contemplating celine ava & prada re-edition hobo, both with zipper, but are not leathers

Looking forward to your reply ✨

I can't really tell you if the leather is buff-able or not, as I luckily haven't scratched mine. However, if you've seen my earlier pictures, you'll know that I managed to get a pretty significant crease in the leather when I accidentally dropped it. Either way, the leather is delicate, and scratches are most likely going to happen.

Regarding the clasp, I don't find it to be in the way necessarily, but it does take a second to unhook it and hook it back. If you aren't paying attention when doing this, you will definitely get scratches around that area. The display models in the store had scratches around the logo from people hooking it and unhooking it. If you have long nails, it would probably be worse.

I look past the delicate nature of the 5 a 7 because it really is a beautiful, classic style in my opinion. But I probably won't ever by a smooth leather bag again.

I also have the Celine Ava in the brown/black canvas, and I love how care-free that bag is. I love both bags to be honest, but the Ava is more practical. I use the YSL when I'm a little more dressed up, and the Celine when I'm dressed casually.

I have both the Celine Ava in the white Triomphe and the dark green YSL 5 a 7 - I love both. The YSL one does scratch and show scratches around the logo/clasp. But I still love it. Both are so wearable and cute.
Thanks so much for your feedback. I love the look of the white triomphe. And i had tried on the dark green ysl 5 a 7. Beautiful pieces! Which one would you recommend that can transition from day to night better?

i was considering the white ava, or white/black 5 a 7